• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Think this will work?

I really wanna get the Evo V but unfortunately I'm stuck with the Triumph for now. Dang my terrible timing. Sprint contract ended in March and less than two months later Evo V was announced -_-

Anyway, I got insurance on my phone and was thinking if I could file a claim and use that towards an Evo.
My main problem with the Triumph is that the battery drains way too fast even when I'm doing absolutely nothing on it. I go to sleep with 90% battery and wake up at 55-60%. It's that bad. And yes I have everything off, wifi, bluetooth, gps, etc. So you can imagine how much faster it drains with regular use. The phone is not unusable, but I don't think I should have to deal with this. I'm also a bit fortunate in that I'm only going to school right now and always have somewhere to charge my phone.

At the very least, the horrible battery life is enough reason to ask for a new one right?
and will I have to pay anything for a new phone? I remember reading in the Triumph forums that some people were getting free replacements.

I guess I can use the old "you'll lose yourself a customer" threat. Which I might end up doing.

Try turning off autosync for your gmail and see if that helps. That wasn't letting my MT go into deep sleep mode.

When I cracked my screen, they sent me a refurb. The screen was non-responsive at times so I asked for another and asked if it can be brand new. They told me no (twice) and still sent a brand new one (sealed in box with everything) anyway.

Upvote 0
I also wanted to try this trick :p so I called and asked that if I filed a claim, could I get it replaced with a different phone in the same deductible category. The lady said that they couldn't do that on normal terms, and the only way they could was if the Triumph was out of stock (or discontinued). So that option is almost out of the question....for free replacements I'm not sure if you could get a different phone or not, you could call and see what they say about it

Upvote 0
Try turning off autosync for your gmail and see if that helps. That wasn't letting my MT go into deep sleep mode.

When I cracked my screen, they sent me a refurb. The screen was non-responsive at times so I asked for another and asked if it can be brand new. They told me no (twice) and still sent a brand new one (sealed in box with everything) anyway.

hm good stuff. And thanks for the advice but I already have it off. I've tried everything and yes even Airplane Mode. Sometimes for whatever reason, the battery drain is more reasonable but it's been a while since that has happened. I've stopped thinking about this and don't even waste my time on it anymore.

Thanks Chingling,
I think my best bet is to get a replacement phone and try to sell it I guess.
-_-

Upvote 0
:D

Selling on E-Bay or Craiglist would be he best option. Worst case one could trade in with RadioShack or BestBuy.

Warranties and Insurance are useless in most cases to get different brand phone. Black Tie warranty at BestBuy may be an exception.

:D

I don't feel right selling it like that though.

Trade in? how much could I get?

Upvote 0
This seems way off topic, but I was very happy with the app "Tasker". On my Triumph I had profiles defined for powered, that turned on networks and sync at night while charging, and off when unplugged. I also used the app to monitor the active app and run the network only when I had an active network app running.

I just programed Tasker to automatically perform the behavior that I had learned to do myself, but would sometimes forget.

I still use Tasker on my 3VO, but I don't need to disable the wifi all the time now. Computers are great at constantly do an exact sequence of events every time a predefined event occurs, humans are just not that good at it. Tasker provides the hooks and scripting need for the phone to take over that responsibility.

Upvote 0
I also wanted to try this trick :p so I called and asked that if I filed a claim, could I get it replaced with a different phone in the same deductible category. The lady said that they couldn't do that on normal terms, and the only way they could was if the Triumph was out of stock (or discontinued). So that option is almost out of the question....for free replacements I'm not sure if you could get a different phone or not, you could call and see what they say about it
Yes. My Triumph stopped charging and I had to have it replaced. First they tried sending me a new batt and as expected still wouldn't charge, so then they offered to exchange it(it was only 6m old still in warranty, still is right now as a matter of fact) but I asked if I could exchange for a different phone, and they said yes. So I then asked do you have anything better coming out soon... no real answer, reels through their other crappy phones -> got another Triumph(of course I got one that makes noises when focusing the camera, old one was perfect except for not charging at all after 6m and was one of the very first ones purchased I'm sure as I was the first or second poster with one here and posted some quick sample pix and a vid).

i.e. it sound like if you get them to offer to exchange, ask about switching to a different phone, then pick the Evo and pay the diff(IF they ask for it as it sounded to me like if I went to one of their crappier/cheaper phones there was no $$$ coming back to me had I been stupid enough to do that).

Anyways generic batt drain: you've got a rogue app or some setting going that's trying to do something while sleeping. I had GrooveIP do that to me once when it didn't cleanly logout of google voice o.w. I lose 1 or 2% a night with ALL radios OFF -> airplane mode.

Upvote 0
While we're on the topic of the VM warranty, do you have to send a defective unit back? I was just thinking that since I usually upgrade once a year that the phone could mysteriously quit near the end of warranty so I could get a replacement or the latest and greatest

Of course you do or they'll charge you for it. You're a shady character.

Upvote 0
While we're on the topic of the VM warranty, do you have to send a defective unit back? I was just thinking that since I usually upgrade once a year that the phone could mysteriously quit near the end of warranty so I could get a replacement or the latest and greatest

If you are insinuating that you would fake an issue or purposely cause one, then that sort of thing is called fraud and is not to be discussed here.

Reactions: notebooko
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones