• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Thinking about updating my phone, etc. have questions

gopens48

Nov 8, 2010
Hello all,
Currently I am running on android 2.2 with Kings unleashed ultra r2. This has been working great for me for quite a while now, but lately the battery life has been getting worse. I'm debating updating to the newest versions with a new rom etc, but i have absolutely no idea how to go about updating my phone and re-rooting. I know about the gingerbread root thread, but how do I update my phone? do i have to unroot, update, then reroot? Also, if i do end up doing all of this, can someone recommend a good rom and kernel that gives you solid battery life? thanks.

Hello all,
Currently I am running on android 2.2 with Kings unleashed ultra r2. This has been working great for me for quite a while now, but lately the battery life has been getting worse. I'm debating updating to the newest versions with a new rom etc, but i have absolutely no idea how to go about updating my phone and re-rooting. I know about the gingerbread root thread, but how do I update my phone? do i have to unroot, update, then reroot? Also, if i do end up doing all of this, can someone recommend a good rom and kernel that gives you solid battery life? thanks.
never accept an ota while you are rooted. and there is no reason to unroot and accept the ota and re-root.
please read this:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/486888-new-ota-4-67-651-3-out-do-not-accept.html

all you need to do is flash a rom and you are now updated.
i would try mikg3.0. it is a very sweet rom and very stable.

also if you want the latest updated here you go:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/487182-rom-stock-4-67-651-3-new-ota-update-rom.html

just flash those and you are updated.

Upvote 0
so despite the fact that i'm on and old version (2.2), i can just flash a new rom that has gingerbread and be fine? I thought i would have to update, then flash one of the new roms.

Yep. Once rooted all you have to do is flash a new ROM, never ever accept OTA to update will definately screw up your phone. Since your rooted just flash a ROM that is the updated version you want. Like OCN said MikG 3.0 is a great rom.:D

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Ok, so just find the rom i like and flash it, and i should be good? Sounds good, i'm interested in the Mikg 3.0 like you guys have suggested, and suggestions on good kernels to go with it that maximize battery life?

Absolutely correct. Just make sure you wipe your phone properly prior to flashing. I would suggest freedom or chop suey or the stock kernel that comes with the ROM (works great for me actually)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones