• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tight-lip

Bee1

I have been asking for basic info concerning a good fairly easy build enviro for custom rom..so far I have found that two methods seem to prevail...jvm and eclipse and android sdk or jvm and cygwin and android kitchen.Also I guess build from source would be more involved since you start from scratch but guess what gentlemen I have all the above and still don't JACK!

only need eclispe if creating new apps. AK for cooking stock(ish) roms, and un/repacking boot.imgs etc.

If just cooking roms with ak etc, cygwin is ok. If doing anything with src you'll need a linux environment, be it in VM, dualboot, or spare pc with a dedicated linux install.

I highly suggest a linux install vs a vm.. but it all depends on what all you want to do/learn. ;)

Im using mint 15 build box , but if you are new to linux id go with ubuntu as its easier for those not familiar with linux imo.

lol we just gave 2 different answers. I was saying mint because coming from windows it is more familiar.

task bar on the bottom, start button on the left, close minimize on the right, etc.

lol i do preffer mint (which is why im using it) but alot of people say ubuntu is easier for the linux rookie. Indeed this is kinda similar to a windows setup (as much as it pains me to say it lol) Either are a good way to break into the linux domain tho

*Edit*
Assuming the build he is doing is successful, the mint 15 version is probably the easiest.
Its still building the first one (on an outdated lappy) it should finish soon tho and i havent seen it error out yet and havent seen any build errors either. Altho i dont stare at it constantly so ill check through the build log when its all said and done

ill check through the build log when its all said and done
No need really. If the build completes the environment is working fine. However, many things can make it fail besides the environment. So if you get through a build we are good to go ;)

Awesome then good to know! It should be done in the next hour or so and ill give a report in your main thread for it

Did my homework, guess I will start from the ground up...ubuntu on windows 8 64bit ???

Why not dual boot? That's what I'm doing. Running the build box on a different partition while still having my windows 8 64 bit partition as my main OS.

Yep, dual-boot is a good option. If you set up your partitions and install windows first, ubuntu and mint make dual-booting easy.

So if I want "dual boot" I would have to partition my harddrive for win8 and ubuntu? How many gigs for ubuntu?

So if I want "dual boot" I would have to partition my harddrive for win8 and ubuntu? How many gigs for ubuntu?

My OS takes 6.1GB right now, and the build needs at least 20GB, maybe more. More space is better lol. You may want to let linux create linux partitions though. You can just leave unpartitioned space and partition during linux install.

To test the build environment build for one of the nexus's like mako (nexus 4). If it builds, build environment is good.

Mint is basically ubuntu with ui tweaks. ;) it has ubuntu as its core and updates when ubuntu does. ;)

Back
Top Bottom