• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Troubles going from rooted .596 to .602 via linux sbf

JB in AZ

Android Expert
SIGH! I am now on my 5th SBF via the linux CD. Everything goes well, (almost, side issue mentioned at the bottom of this post*) I am following the guides, get to .340, wipe, mount, root, etc...tried the 2 part .602 mentioned in one of the threads today, get "install aborted". Then the phone will not boot, hangs at white M logo for ever. So I do the SBF via linux angain. Figuring it is a bad download, I re-dl it, and use same procedure, reading every step very carefully to avoid any mistakes on my part, same problem. Install aborted. I turn off signature verification, as i had heard of this issue before. Same thing. OK, I buy the TBH app, same precess, same error. Installatin aborted. :confused:

* side issue, during one of the reboots, my SD card now says it is bad, do i want to format? YIKES! NO! I have mucho data there i really want! I put my old 8GB card in and it worked fine, but my backups are now 3 months old :mad:.

Any help with
1. getting .602 installed,

2. Fixing and or retreiving my data from the 16 GB card.

PS My current (temporary) home internet sevice is very slow and inconsistant, so i may apear and disapear, but I would appreciate any and all help.

copy and paste your sd contents to a folder and format it that way
Phone won't recognize it, says bad SD card, format? And when I plug the DX into the computer via usb cable, the computer doesn't find it either. I don't have an micro to full size adaptor handy. :mad:

SIGH! I am now on my 5th SBF via the linux CD. Everything goes well, (almost, side issue mentioned at the bottom of this post*) I am following the guides, get to .340, wipe, mount, root, etc...tried the 2 part .602 mentioned in one of the threads today, get "install aborted". Then the phone will not boot, hangs at white M logo for ever. So I do the SBF via linux angain. Figuring it is a bad download, I re-dl it, and use same procedure, reading every step very carefully to avoid any mistakes on my part, same problem. Install aborted. I turn off signature verification, as i had heard of this issue before. Same thing. OK, I buy the TBH app, same precess, same error. Installatin aborted. :confused:

* side issue, during one of the reboots, my SD card now says it is bad, do i want to format? YIKES! NO! I have mucho data there i really want! I put my old 8GB card in and it worked fine, but my backups are now 3 months old :mad:.

Any help with
1. getting .602 installed,

2. Fixing and or retreiving my data from the 16 GB card.

PS My current (temporary) home internet sevice is very slow and inconsistant, so i may apear and disapear, but I would appreciate any and all help.

That's odd. I just did this exact thing yesterday no probs.
I have not heard of a 2 part .602, I used the one from the tbh app. wiped everything went to mounts, formatted and mounted system then the install.

copy and paste your sd contents to a folder and format it that way

This is the best place to start. I have copied the contents to my pc and formatted the sdcard several times.

Good luck!

Edit: I saw your reply to VS after my post. Not good. Don't you have any other devices that take an sdcard that you can try it on?

TRied it again exact message:

E:Can't open /sdcard/teamblackhat/602-Odexed-AIO.zip (bad) Installation aborted.

The currebt SD card DOES work, as i can view all the data there. Maybe I need to re-downoald thge TBH zip file?

Do I now have to re-SBF again to get back to a working .340?? I'm at the droid2bootstrapper screen, showint he error message. Previously, choosing reboot now just gets me to the white M logo for waaaaay too long.

Are you able to delete the .602 file from the sdcard. I read a few posts about re-downloading over a corrupt file will corrupt the new download.

Are you able to delete the .602 file from the sdcard. I read a few posts about re-downloading over a corrupt file will corrupt the new download.

I'll try this ...good call! After I re SBF again, as I am stuck AGAIN at the white M logo now.

TRied it again exact message:

E:Can't open /sdcard/teamblackhat/602-Odexed-AIO.zip (bad) Installation aborted.

The currebt SD card DOES work, as i can view all the data there. Maybe I need to re-downoald thge TBH zip file?

Do I now have to re-SBF again to get back to a working .340?? I'm at the droid2bootstrapper screen, showint he error message. Previously, choosing reboot now just gets me to the white M logo for waaaaay too long.

Sounds like you have a corrupt download of the AIO.

By chance is that 8GB card you are using an class 2 8GB card that came with your phone???

I ask because my step-dad had a class 2 8GB card that came with his X, and every time I would transfer a big file to it such as the AIO file, it would get corrupted. Once I got him a sandisk 16GB class 4 card he was good to go.

Sounds like you have a corrupt download of the AIO.

By chance is that 8GB card you are using an class 2 8GB card that came with your phone???

I ask because my step-dad had a class 2 8GB card that came with his X, and every time I would transfer a big file to it such as the AIO file, it would get corrupted. Once I got him a sandisk 16GB class 4 card he was good to go.
Yeah, I am hoping it is a bad download!

The 8GB works fine, it is the 16GB that I have been using for 3 months, that somehow got screwed up during the attempted upgrades today! :mad:

SBFing again now...then I am not sure what to do next...I'm guessing deleting the bad AIO dl and re-dl ing it, then not sure about steps to wipe, mount, etc. Getting overwhelmed ATM. :mad:

Yeah, I am hoping it is a bad download!

The 8GB works fine, it is the 16GB that I have been using for 3 months, that somehow got screwed up during the attempted upgrades today! :mad:

SBFing again now...then I am not sure what to do next...I'm guessing deleting the bad AIO dl and re-dl ing it, then not sure about steps to wipe, mount, etc. Getting overwhelmed ATM. :mad:

You may just want to skip the AIO method if it's giving you issues and try the 2 part method p3Droid recently posted.

Official Gingerbread update 4.5.602 (rooted and ready) or Stock.

OK, sitting on .340 deleted the (possibly bad) .602 AIO file, rooted with Z4, downloading the AIO now from TBH app again.

OK, sitting on .340 deleted the (possibly bad) .602 AIO file, rooted with Z4, downloading the AIO now from TBH app again.

Just for giggles, I would try and move/copy the AIO file after downloading and see if the sdcard is having trouble reading the file like Bo said.
If that doesn't work, I usually just tap it lightly with a 5 pound sledgy just to remind it who is in charge. (! don't really do that :p )

Just for giggles, I would try and move/copy the AIO file after downloading and see if the sdcard is having trouble reading the file like Bo said.

Worth a try!

BTW, the DL is taking much longer this time, maybe i did in fact get an incomplete DL.

Although with the crappy satelite internet I have here, hard to say.

Worth a try!

BTW, the DL is taking much longer this time, maybe i did in fact get an incomplete DL.

Although with the crappy satelite internet I have here, hard to say.

It's sounding more and more like you had an incomplete download, do you remember if you got the "Download Complete" message in the statusbar the first time?

It's sounding more and more like you had an incomplete download, do you remember if you got the "Download Complete" message in the statusbar the first time?
Unfortunately, don't recall, however, I must have had some indication that it was complete!...LOL

Ewwww, I think you may have found the problem lol. :D

Also, "mounts, format system, data and cache, then mount system, then cache and install zip" this is what I did, minus the mounting of cache.

Yeah..LOL, "then cache" was a typo...oops :p

EDIT: 85% now...

Back
Top Bottom