• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

understanding battery life

Phathead

Lurker
Bare with me. I just read several post on battery life and how short smart phones battery life is. As you can tell from some of my posts I will be getting a smart phone and it will be casio. Something I don't understand about it is the short battery life. I currently have the brigade with a few calls and some txting, phone on ring istead of vibrate I go 5-6 days and not turning off. If things going on at work lots of voice time and txts plus on vibrate I get 3-4 days while not turning off.

I understand that the screen burns battery, so does surfing, Gps, games, Etc. at a fast rate and the more I use the quicker the battery dies.

Here is what I don't understand.
If I were to use a smart phone for voice and txt only as I currently do should the battery life not be pretty much the same minus the what the lager display burns.
 
Bare with me. I just read several post on battery life and how short smart phones battery life is. As you can tell from some of my posts I will be getting a smart phone and it will be casio. Something I don't understand about it is the short battery life. I currently have the brigade with a few calls and some txting, phone on ring istead of vibrate I go 5-6 days and not turning off. If things going on at work lots of voice time and txts plus on vibrate I get 3-4 days while not turning off.

I understand that the screen burns battery, so does surfing, Gps, games, Etc. at a fast rate and the more I use the quicker the battery dies.

Here is what I don't understand.
If I were to use a smart phone for voice and txt only as I currently do should the battery life not be pretty much the same minus the what the lager display burns.
Smart phones are powered by proccesors that use more juice , where as a dumb phone is not powered the same. When I have a day where I use very little data and just make calls I see a lot less drawdown on battery. Question, why use a smartphone for all it is capable of and only use a fraction of it's ability by only using calls and texts? Makes no sense.
I also don't play with my phones constantly and find battery life to be fine. By fine I charge daily. I've had dumb phones before from years ago that would go several days also between charges. It is what it is re battery life, people get stressed out over it way to much.
 
Definatly no stress. I will use the phone and its capabilites when needed. Just trying to understand the issues. Read any review about Casio Commando and most smartphones and its good bad on things but 90% seem to always complain about battery. Just trying to educate myself.
 
Let's put it this way. Once you get a smart phone you are going to be using it.............ALL THE TIME! Forget about battery life. You will get at most a whole day possibly 2. If you are like me, you will recharge the battery sometime during the day because you started playing Wordfeud, Words With Friends, Angry Birds, checking Facebook out, checking the weather, checking and replying to email etc etc etc.

Forget about the battery. It isn't going to last like a dumb phone because you are now going to be using your phone as your computer, your camera, your GPS, etc. I rarely touch my lap top any more(at home). Haven't used a separate camera in YEARS!
 
1. turn off gps
2. Turn off DATA - settings/wirless/mobile networks/Data enabled
3. Turn Screen to ether low or Automatic if used outside - Settings/Display/Brightness
4. Screen Time out as low as you can - Settings/Display/Screen Timeout

this is pretty much all you can do to get more life out of ur device and if you dont plan on using the internet or any thing then no need for data, voice and text uses 1x any ways no need wasting life on 3g or gps
 
If you want to put it into perspective,....A laptop typically has a three hour battery life. It cannot connect to a 3G network without an adapter, is larger, and you can't put it in your pocket.

A smartphone will do everything a laptop will, and more. The battery will usually last all day, and....it fits in your pocket.
 
Back
Top Bottom