• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Unlimited Tethering for ZTE Zmax Pro MetroPCS/T-Mobile

Funny, I was going to post a guide on just how to do that using a spare router in a few days, it isn't that advanced if you already have a spare router. The issue is that bandwidth is completely destroyed since you are using a router to host a connection that is already a victim of reduced bandwith.
Also do you know how to change TTL on marshmallow? For the life of me I can't get it to work, have they changed something since kit Kat?

Upvote 0
Not if you use it as a ap, connected to either a dedicated client bridge or to a PC sharing it's connection via LAN, also the degradation in speed is still more then what I get from metro so as long as I don't want to communicate over the local network to other devices it really doesn't matter

In my experience I have horrible degradation. I would have 20-30MB/PS down from my phone, but as soon as it reaches the Wifi network, it goes down to 1MB/PS. My router and PC are not the bottleneck, so I have no idea what's going on.

Upvote 0
Also do you know how to change TTL on marshmallow? For the life of me I can't get it to work, have they changed something since kit Kat?

I've never dealt with TTL, I just use a paid VPN and leave it as is. I wish I could just host off of my phone without agent switchers and VPNs but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Upvote 0
In my experience I have horrible degradation. I would have 20-30MB/PS down from my phone, but as soon as it reaches the Wifi network, it goes down to 1MB/PS. My router and PC are not the bottleneck, so I have no idea what's going on.
then just use the dd wrt router as a client bridge, and hook up a second router as a ap, doesn't even need dd wrt, since the TTL will be edited on the client bridge

Upvote 0
I've never dealt with TTL, I just use a paid VPN and leave it as is. I wish I could just host off of my phone without agent switchers and VPNs but beggars can't be choosers I guess.
Oh OK, I use this phone as a hotspot on the go with my tablet and wanted to change the TTL on the tablet, but the proxy blocks over 99% of the data going to the phone so it's not a big deal

Upvote 0
Oh OK, I use this phone as a hotspot on the go with my tablet and wanted to change the TTL on the tablet, but the proxy blocks over 99% of the data going to the phone so it's not a big deal

I switched from my Zmax to a Galaxy Core Prime and with Wifi tether router you can route the wifi hotspot through a VPN internally so you never have to worry about leaking data, I use expressVPN and it's good enough for everything except gaming.

Shockingly bluetooth DUN is better for gaming because the latency isn't a real issue, it's just the speed.

Reactions: icey011
Upvote 0
yeah hadn't tested it myself when i posted, im using the router in client mode at the moment and it's horribly slow, so i can tell you it's not the fact that it's running as a wireless bridge that causing your problems. no clue what is happening, the cpu on the router is below 70% and the ram is below 85% usage, could be a resource bottleneck but doesnt look to be so, this is super annoying.

Upvote 0
got it to work at full speed, pain in the ass, but i used a wifi extender, a router with dd wrt, and a second router as a access point,

set up like this

phones hotspot > wifi extender > DD WRT router( with TTL set to 66 ) > second router as a access point.

basically i am just using the dd wrt router as a fancy switch, it does the job well enough but is taking up three outlets but oh well

Upvote 0
I just switched to T-Mobile ONE, the TTL trick works on the hotspot so I get full speed without the need of a VPN. Thanks for telling me how to do it, now I can enjoy unlimited 4G LTE hotspot without paying the extra 25 dollars... Funny how each company uses different methods to throttle and restrict their hotspot. MetroPCS does everything it can to stop you from getting unlimited hotspot, which makes it very hard to get it working, but T-Mobile just imposes ******** restrictions and leaves it at that... Easier to fool T-Mobile than MetroPCS. Wifi Tether Router is the best 3 dollars I have ever spent.

Upvote 0
Just tried and it works! For those who dont know how (that was me a few minutes ago) here's cut&paste from Microsoft Help:

1. Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
2. From the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following key:
\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters.
3. In the right pane, add the following value:
Name: DefaultTTL
Type: REG_DWORD

Then double click it and add value 65

4. After that, please restart the computer and check the result.
which value setting do I use?

decimal or hex?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Question. Say I wifi hotspot to my PC, then share the connection through my ethernet port to a wifi router (what I do with boost mobile), does this still work with no cap?
Since all of the networking is routed through your PC to your phone as your PC it shouldn't be a problem. Using a spare router will slow things down a lot though, so as long as you don't mind that you will be good.

Upvote 0
No idea, it works for wifi though. I'm thinking about updating this guide to show that TTL basically makes all of this guide obsolete. I've used over 20GB in 2 days because of the TTL trick, not a single MB has been added to my hotspot usage lol.

EDIT*

I updated the guide for unlimited tethering, everyone who's following this thread should check it out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No idea, it works for wifi though. I'm thinking about updating this guide to show that TTL basically makes all of this guide obsolete. I've used over 20GB in 2 days because of the TTL trick, not a single MB has been added to my hotspot usage lol.

EDIT*

I updated the guide for unlimited tethering, everyone who's following this thread should check it out.
F'ing Microsoft made editing TTL(reg edits do nothing) a Windows 10 pro feature after the anniversary update as far as I can tell, really pisses me off , use this phone for hotspot at collage since their wifi sucks, guess I'm going to have to install a win 7 partition and activate it with daz loader since this is a win 8.1 laptop and I'm not going back to 8

Upvote 0
**UPDATED**
** 10/04/16**
We now have unlimited tethering again thanks to YGB!

What you need :
FoxFi(pay for it for the unlocked version, it's worth it!)
Administrator access on your PC/Mac
A PC running Windows 2000 or newer.
OR
A Mac running OS 10.0 or newer.

Use FoxFi to launch the wifi hotspot, and on your PC you must do the following -

After your PC is rebooted, it should not use hotspot data.

For Android users you must have a rooted device and use this app :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.segin.ttleditor&hl=en

For Mac users
Open terminal and enter : sudo sysctl -w net.inet.ip.ttl=65

For IOS users you need a jailbroken device and a terminal emulator installed. Enter the same command used in OS X that I posted above.

Hope you guys enjoy!
Can i get some credit, im the one who posted the method first? Don't really care just seems weird to have credited the person who posted the full instructions(easy to find, why i didn't post them) after i stated the basic method how

Last edited:
Reactions: Krlypumaa and ygb
Upvote 0
I mentioned you in the post, sorry about that. Guess I need to pay more attention to these forums. I've also updated it to have solutions for Mac OS X users and IOS users, I might add Linux users too, I gotta look it up.
Figured out why dd wrt was slow, at least for me, ram limit disabling telnet, upnp, traffic Damon and Dnsmasq fixed the issue. I have a Linksys wrt54G V5 and Linksys gimped the ram amount on it so it editing TLLs on the fly plus the normal proceses it has enabled kills the ram on it. After doing all that I went from 4Mbs to 21Mbs down so I call it a success

Upvote 0
I mentioned you in the post, sorry about that. Guess I need to pay more attention to these forums. I've also updated it to have solutions for Mac OS X users and IOS users, I might add Linux users too, I gotta look it up.
Also figured out why I couldn't get the TTL to set on my tablet, it's Samsung they somehow reset the value back to 64 no matter what I do, doesn't matter that I have root, I reboot the tablet and the value is back to default. :(

Upvote 0
It's not persistent on any Android/IOS/OS X device. You have to do it every reboot.
even when i edit it, the traffic is still counted, so either way its something samsung did with the os, i edited it by hand so i know it took, there is a physical file that sets ttl it's under something like proc/sys/net/..... , idk it's just not working i have tried that app before it was even posted nothing works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones