• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root unlocked evo with s-on issues

hey so i just realized you said wrong image. that is normal. do you know if you have 5.07 or 4.67 before all of this happened? you may have not named it right or placed it in the right spot on the sd card.

not sure witch mainver it was before I installed the recovery. i just assumed it was 5.07, since that is the version of the recovery that installed correctly.(I tried a bunch of others with no luck) ...I deleted all but PC36IMG and placed it in the root of the sd

Upvote 0
nope number changing will not work, unfortunately. and so far i have not seen a 5.07 ruu for the og evo. are you sure you were on 5.07?

yea i figured it was a long shot with short range:eek: ...no im not sure what mainver it was honestly... im assuming it is now (since recovery with 5.07 installed without a prob. via hboot PC36IMG method) correct?

Upvote 0
hey guys! i just moved a few posts over here from the rezound thread. i will make a similar thread over here,if youd like.

refer to this thead:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/648090-help-booting-recovery-image.html

i believe the recovery image he is booting is either incompatible with the partitions on the phone,or possible incompatible with the display? (inc had prollems between amoled and slcd)

i believe the black screen he is seeing is the recovery :eek:

ill poke around and see if there is more info on this,but if yall know the answer and/or a newer/bete/faster/strogner recovery we can have him boot,lets try that.

once we get a recovery either installed,or booted,it should be easily possible toflash superuser,then change the main version with adb in recovery,and run an older ruu to get the phone booting,and on a firmware he can run unrevoked and become radio s-off. :cool:

Reactions: fleshnpain
Upvote 0
hey guys! i just moved a few posts over here from the rezound thread. i will make a similar thread over here,if youd like.

refer to this thead:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/648090-help-booting-recovery-image.html

i believe the recovery image he is booting is either incompatible with the partitions on the phone,or possible incompatible with the display? (inc had prollems between amoled and slcd)

i believe the black screen he is seeing is the recovery :eek:

ill poke around and see if there is more info on this,but if yall know the answer and/or a newer/bete/faster/strogner recovery we can have him boot,lets try that.

once we get a recovery either installed,or booted,it should be easily possible toflash superuser,then change the main version with adb in recovery,and run an older ruu to get the phone booting,and on a firmware he can run unrevoked and become radio s-off. :cool:

I think you are correct sir! ...before the success of the new recovery (5.07) it would hang on the splash:rolleyes: ...:)now when i select recovery via bootloader or dos... it only stays on the splash about 3 or 4 seconds

Upvote 0
kay.. here is some more info that may help fellaz:smokingsomb:

C:\aNdRoId>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.18.0001
(bootloader) version-baseband: 2.15.00.12.19
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: 041f
(bootloader) version-main: 5.07.651.1
(bootloader) serialno: 123456789012
(bootloader) imei: 355195000000017
(bootloader) product: supersonic
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8x50
(bootloader) modelid: PC36*****
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3897mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 4b46e889
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.033s

Upvote 0
kay.. here is some more info that may help fellaz:smokingsomb:

C:\aNdRoId>fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.18.0001
(bootloader) version-baseband: 2.15.00.12.19
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: 041f
(bootloader) version-main: 5.07.651.1 <-
(bootloader) serialno: 123456789012
(bootloader) imei: 355195000000017
(bootloader) product: supersonic
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8x50
(bootloader) modelid: PC36*****
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3897mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 4b46e889
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.033s
well,unfortunately that does confirm you have a main version for wich there is no available ruu :mad:

what is this 5.07 recovery? can you post a link to it?

Upvote 0
I think the recovery he was trying to flash came from here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

In particular, these instructions on installing a recovery after doing the htcdev unlock method:
PC36IMG method
this will depend on what software version you are on.

if you have software version 4.67.651.1 download this file:PC36IMG.zip

if you have software version 5.07.651.1 download this file:
PC36IMG_AmonRA-v2.3-hausmod_revA.zip

1.download the PC36IMG for your software version above.
2.rename the file so that it is only PC36IMG. make sure that you do not add any extra .zip's to the name as windows hides extensions by default.
3.transfer the file to the root (that means not in any folder) of the sd card.
4.power off (you most likely need to uncheck fastboot. settings/apps/uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down.
5.hboot should see the file and select yes to update.
6.select no to reboot because we want to go into recovery and make a nandroid backup.
7.select recovery.
8.select backup and restore and select backup
9. select the first three and wimax. the other partitions do not need to be backed up. always keep one nandroid backup with wimax keys backed up on your computer.
10.now you can reboot.
11.using a file manager of some sort or even through your computer via usb, you should rename or delete the PC36IMG file on your card. otherwise you will be asked to update every time you go to the hboot screen. you do not need that file any more.

Am I correct there flesh?

Upvote 0
damn damn damn! lol so im thinkin now the only option would be to somehow downgrade, or (lmao) sit and wait till they release a 5.07 ruu?
It doesn't bode well if your recovery installed successfully but you still can't boot to it.

There's no way to downgrade the misc partition without either being booted into the system or recovery.

With your main version being 5.07.651.1, I don't know if there's anything that can be done. It sounds like the infamous bootloop of death, from which almost no one has successfully recovered.

You should at least be able to relock the bootloader and get it serviced.

Upvote 0
hummm that kinda sux huh?:( ...what do you think about maybe tryin another recovery of the same version cap? ...the one installed now is your
RA-supersonic-v2.3 - HAUS MOD rev.A

maybe if i tried your
RA Revamped-smelkusMOD-v4.3-ics-theme ?
If it installed successfully, it doesn't matter which one you choose. If it won't boot into recovery, there's very little you can do.

But hey, it won't hurt to try.

Upvote 0
yes sir!... it is in that guide, 2nd step, under PC36IMG method...

if you have software version 5.07.651.1 download this file:
PC36IMG_AmonRA-v2.3-hausmod_revA.zip

that being the case... is this recovery compatible with all hardware versions? i did see some references to 003 and 004 hw versions. is it possible he needs to boot an older recovery in order to boot and see the screen?

flesh,boot to the black screen:)eek:) plug in the phone,switch to mini-adb(or whatever folder you have adb/fastboot) and try this:

adb devices

tell us if you get "serial number RECOVERY" back in the cmd window

Upvote 0
If it installed successfully, it doesn't matter which one you choose. If it won't boot into recovery, there's very little you can do.

But hey, it won't hurt to try.

well the weird thing is, it hung on the splash BEFORE i installed the 5.07 recovery. now it "acts" like it boots fine (3 or 4 sec. splash) lol i just can't see it:( ...I will try other one tho:) and let ya know...

Upvote 0
that being the case... is this recovery compatible with all hardware versions? i did see some references to 003 and 004 hw versions. is it possible he needs to boot an older recovery in order to boot and see the screen?

flesh,boot to the black screen:)eek:) plug in the phone,switch to mini-adb(or whatever folder you have adb/fastboot) and try this:

adb devices

right on! I will do that now scotty...

Upvote 0

adb devices

what tha? ...123456789012 ...can that be right?:thinking:

Upvote 0
what tha? ...123456789012 ...can that be right?:thinking:

is that the reply from adb devices ?

wierd as that is,id say its a good sign... as if you dint have a recovery of some sort running,it would just say"adb devices" and then nothing.

try
adb shell and see if you get a "$" if so,then type exit to get back to the prompt. then try adb reboot bootloader and see if that hets you have to fastboot.

was this phone rooted before? if so,
do adb shell then su and see if you get a "#"

Upvote 0
is that the reply from adb devices ?

wierd as that is,id say its a good sign... as if you dint have a recovery of some sort running,it would just say"adb devices" and then nothing.

try
adb shell and see if you get a "$" if so,then type exit to get back to the prompt. then try adb reboot bootloader and see if that hets you have to fastboot.

was this phone rooted before? if so,
do adb shell then su and see if you get a "#"

my bad, had to make tha kiddos dinner... well no dice with the shell cmd:( i just tried and no device found:mad::(:eek: lmao makes me wanna:smokingsomb: cuz this is stressing now... its looking grim all of a sudden ...lol from hope, ta nope

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones