• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unofficial CyanogenMod 11 for LG L40 D170

Did anyone tryed this? is the wifi and camera working in these?
I just tried it (used the bootloader and CWM from 1st post), and no, neither wifi nor camera works.

I don't care about the camera for now, because it's crap anyway.
Where wifi is concerned, it seems to be not finding (having?) the firmware blob for the wifi chipset, and hence there's no wlan0 device and hence wpa_supplicant won't start:

Attempting to turn on wifi gives in logcat:
D160 said:
E/WifiHW ( 265): Failed to write wlan fw path param (No such device)
E/SoftapController( 265): Softap fwReload failed
E/NetdConnector( 752): NDC Command {12 softap fwreload wlan0 STA} took too long (5050ms)
E/WifiStateMachine( 752): Failed to reload STA firmware java.lang.IllegalStateException: command '12 softap fwreload wlan0 STA' failed with '400 12 SoftAP command has failed'
W/CommandListener( 265): Failed to retrieve HW addr for wlan0 (No such device)
D/CommandListener( 265): Setting iface cfg
E/WifiStateMachine( 752): Unable to change interface settings: java.lang.IllegalStateException: command '14 interface setcfg wlan0 0.0.0.0 0 down' failed with '400 14 Failed to set address (No such device)'
I/wpa_supplicant( 2177): Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
I/wpa_supplicant( 2177): rfkill: Cannot open RFKILL control device
D/WifiMonitor( 752): startMonitoring(wlan0) with mConnected = false
E/wpa_supplicant( 2177): Could not read interface p2p0 flags: No such device
E/wpa_supplicant( 2177): p2p0: Failed to initialize driver interface
D/BluetoothAdapter( 1220): 1104981240: getState() : mService = null. Returning STATE_OFF
E/WifiHW ( 752): Supplicant not running, cannot connect

Unfortunately it doesn't mention what file it actually expects to sit around where. I'll try and figure it out

[...] fully worked after changes in build.prop and gpio.keys.
Okay I took a closer look and it turns out that the only difference between
and (from 1st post)
cm-11-20150325-UNOFFICIAL-w3ds.zip https://yadi.sk/d/i9eHiv9ZfXd8n
is the presence/absense of a single line,
persist.radio.multisim.config=dsds
in a single file (system/build.prop); all other files are bitwise identical.
So that explains why the camera and wifi still don't work in the first place.

It really works try with lg flash tool 2014 . i installed 12.1 on d160 but i cant change gpio key layout and my 2 keys dont work

Does it matter which d170 firmware i flash or not? Is the one on the post safe?

Also which type and phone mode do i need to set it in?

Last edited:
It really works try with lg flash tool 2014 . i installed 12.1 on d160 but i cant change gpio key layout and my 2 keys dont work
Nah, LG Flash Tool 2014 crashed when trying to read the phone info; I didn't feel like having that happen while cross-flashing the D170 ROM.

Anyway I'm more comfortable with writing the internal memory directly (works well through adb when the device is in CWMR with nothing mounted) so I worked into that direction and analyzed both the D160 stock ROM (D16010D_00.kdz, grabbed while doing a D160 stock recovery with LGMobileSupport Tool on a windows machine) and the internal memory layout of the device:
http://penenen.de/pd.txt

I expect the D170 .kdz to be similar, so I can selectively flash it with dd(1) while retaining CWMR and unlocked bootloader, to avoid a possible hard bricking..

dont press "read", just "start". In "select type" choose "3GQCT" change "diag" to "emergency" then choose "normal flash" and then start. not "read".
make sure you have the latest usb drivers and lgmobile support tool from lg's official site.

dont press "read", just "start". In "select type" choose "3GQCT" change "diag" to "emergency" then choose "normal flash" and then start. not "read".
make sure you have the latest usb drivers and lgmobile support tool from lg's official site.
Thanks for the advice, but as said, I'm almost at a point where I can entirely avoid extra software to flash; let's not forget that the phone itself comes with a (slightly crippled) set of standard unix tools, notably http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

Edit: sorry, missed that your reply probably wasn't directed at me; didn't see SomethingWeird's post.

Last edited:
He write, what he install d170 stok rom from kdz and over it install CM with changed build.prop and all works!
http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=632951&view=findpost&p=39670189
Did that now. I extracted the partition images from the D170 kdz, wrote them to the phone's respective partitions (all except aboot and recovery, so that i won't lose the unlocked boot loader and CWMR.
Then booted it and verified that it consideres itself to be a D170 now.
Wrote boot.img from the cm-11-20150325-UNOFFICIAL-w3ds.zip to the boot partition (i guess that happens implicitly while installing CM, but whatever)
Then installed the cm-11-20150325-UNOFFICIAL-w3ds.zip using 'install zip' in CWMR. (Edit: with the modified build.prop; gpio-keys.kl are identical between D160 and D170))
Booted it, and yes, it's CM now.
And no, neither wifi nor camera work. So this was rather futile. I wonder what your friend did differently....

PS: If it's useful for someone else, the .kdz's can be extracted with https://github.com/thecubed/kdzutils, but it will complain about the header magic being wrong. It turns out that the format otherwise is the same, so changing this line https://github.com/thecubed/kdzutils/blob/master/KDZFileTools.py#L24 to the header bytes (which the script tells) causes it to work for the D160 and D170 kdz files. The license of that tool prevents me from uploading a modified version; quite useless.

After extracting the .dz file that was extracted from .kdz, it turns out some partition images come in multiple files.
I wrote this (shell) script to merge them together, feel free to share/modify. http://penenen.de/glue.sh should work in every POSIX shell; run with -h to get a usage statement

Last edited:
sorry for off topic.. But where could I find the stock rom for LG L40 D160?
I obtained it by using the "LGMobileSupport tool" to initiate a factory reset of my D160; it starts a lengthy download before doing anything with the phone, which can be unplugged once the download starts. Then used "Process Manager" https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx to find out to where it downloads the kdz, waited for the download to finish and made a copy of the file. I'd share it, but with over 600 MB it isn't exactly small, so please try and grab it yourself first.

I just discovered that the L40 does support fastboot after all. All it takes is a messed up (as in, zero'ed) "laf" partition (mmcblk0p15 on the device, make a backup of it before zeroing it).
Once that's done, fastboot will load if the USB cable is plugged while volume UP is held down (the phone must initially be off)
I suspect that works for both the D160 and the D170

I outlined the process in post #70 but if your device is bricked, you can't. Unless you've nuked your "laf" partition, the LGMobileSupport Tool should work. It downloads and installs that kdz in the process.

In German:
Hallo, bin neu hier und wollte mich mal für deine grossartige arbeit bedanken!
Wegen deiner Rom, habe ich mich für das LG L40 D170 entschieden und bereue es gar nicht! Hatte als erstes die Cm12.1 drauf, da fand ich aber Bugs (AOSP Tastatur crasht, klingeltöne wurde nur zur hälfte wiedergegeben, der wecker lässt mich alle 2 tage an der pin sperre stehen)! Da musste ich mich radikal entscheiden für CM11, was auch meiner meinung nach smoother läuft als CM12.1! Soll keine kritik sein! Aber eine Bitte hätte ich noch! Ist es möglich nachträglich ne flashable.zip, mit einen "Network-Speedmeter" & "2G schnellknopf "zu machen, für cm11?

Ich bedanke mich im Vorraus!

In English from Google-translate:
Hi, I'm new here and wanted to thank you for your great work time!
Because of your Rom, I decided for the LG L40 D170 and did not regret it! But was the first to Cm12.1 it because I found bugs (AOSP crashes keyboard, ringtones were only played in half, which can alarm me every 2 days at the pin lock available)! Since I had to radically opt for CM11, which is also my opinion, smoother running than CM12.1! Is not a criticism! But please, I would have! Is it possible subsequently flashable.zip, with a "Network-Speed Meter" & "2G shortcut" to make, for CM11?

I thank you in advance!

Hello, i know this is a bump up, but i tried flashing this rom to my d160.
Its all working perfectly fine except wifi and camera!
I know its not meant to be compatible with d160 but can anyone please reply. As you can see the Wi-Fi button is greyed out.
4VWQxH0.png

[...] d160.
Its all working perfectly fine except wifi and camera!
It fails to find and/or load the wifi firmware.

I know its not meant to be compatible with d160 but can anyone please reply.
I've started working on a port to the D160, but I currently don't have time to resume that. See this thread for details.

Back
Top Bottom