• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root unrEVOked 3.2: one-click root for Froyo, no downgrading

LOL Well I guess I was rooted all along I just didnt realize that I was suppose to look for the super user permision app. LOL (homer simpson moment doh!)

So what am i supposed to do with superuser permision? I click on it and I get a black screen.

From what I can see, once you start installing apps for root they will ask for super user permission. You will hit ok when installing them and then when you go back to the SU app you will see what's granted permission. I think the rooted apps need this to work in some way. Still learning myself.

Upvote 0
Well i THINK i'm ready to take the plunge and root my phone. As of right now the unrEVOked 3.2 is still not available. I did find the file that was used before it was taken down. They say there was only a couple of EVO's that had a problem. So what i'm wondering is, the one's that had a problem was it a bricking situation? or did it just not work? Should i wait for the fixed unrEVOked 3.2? What i have is a 2.2 EVO all up to date with the the latest OTA updates. I'm hearing of a lot of successes in rooting their phones. Did they use the unrEVOked 3.2 that came out before they took it down or did they do it the old way? or both? I am assuming the people who bricked their phone did something wrong and it was not the fault of the software or hardware. Like i said i'm ready but i cant brick what i have cause i would be out a phone.

Thanks to all!!

Upvote 0
This is just what I was waiting for. I've been seriously considering the downgrade and root method, but it makes me really nervous, because I haven't used a command line since middle school computer class almost 20 years ago. I have no geekitude, but I'm here to learn.

Just went to unrevoked's wiki, and they took down 3.2 because a couple people reported bugs.

If you want to root using the downgrade method just copy and paste the commands in. Only command I typed in was C:\ my tools directory. :)

Upvote 0
You can unrEVOked 3.21 and it will get you the 2.2 OTA rooted build. Just do a factory reset when you're done, or else wipe and re-flash. You will have root either way though and openVPN could still work.

Can you share your openVPN details or PM them to me? Thanks!

Ok, thank you. So you mean after unrEVOked and resetting, the rooted (original) 2.2 should be able to perform my openvpn actions? Why is the factory reset after the unrEVOked necessary (I'm on a HTC Desire with 2.2 and I sadly will wave goodbye my unbackupable user dictionary) But I will try that.

I need openVPN to connect to my university's WLAN network, it's Cisco based and Android's internal VPN doesn't support that, only apps with root rights can do this. It's acctually Android's second highest rated issue on googles codelist (link)
I'll let you know abou the openVPN things as soon as I found time to do the rooting and being able to install the stuff.

Thanks again

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones