• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrooting Optimus V to stock

MaXX5000

Lurker
Hello all, I'm new to this site & had some questions about unrooting. I did some searches on here but I don't know if all the methods are for the same ways. Well long story short I purchased a rooted Optimus V phone online that has Inferior Human Organs CryogenMod 7.1 installed along with ClockworkMod Recovery v3.2.0.1 & I was trying to get service from Virgin mobile using the ##VIRGIN# number & it will not access the validate/activation setting. So I talked to VM & they are going to send me a replacement phone but I want to restore the phone as much as I can to it's original Stock firware aka fresh out of the box state.

I am new to rooting & I want to be able to return it to it's orginal state before I send it back to them. IF anyone can help me out in helping me achieve this I will be forever grateful. Thanks
 
You will need the Android SDK, as well as the stock ROM and images for the boot and recovery. I never make any changes I can't undo, so I have all the necessary files. If needed I can post links. What you need to do is follow the rooting guide, but backwards. When you connect your OV to your PC, you will be flashing the stock images instead of the custom ones. Hope this helps, let me know if you need the files or any other advice!
 
DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible if you mess up, I am here helping you but also note that if you do something wrong and your phone turns into a brick it's on you.

Here yah go :cool:
Stock Nandroid/Stock Recovery:optimusV_stock_nandroid_and_recovery.zip
Android Terminal Emulator:Term.apk
Superuser:Superuser 3.0.7.zip

*Note it's best to make a new folder for all the files that way you don't lose them and have to download them again. Make sure you download all the files above into that folder.
Steps: Stock Rom
-Unzip "optimusV_stock_nandroid_and_recovery.zip" until you see "BCDS-20110203-0357" folder
-copy it
-plug in phone and mount it
-open sdcard
-open the folder "clockworkmod" (if it's not there create it)
-open the folder "backup" (if it's not there create it). Then copy the folder -"BCDS-20110203-0357" inside the folder "backup"
-unmount "usb storage" from the notification bar and unplug the phone
-power it off
-boot it up by holding first home, volume down, and power until you see the lg symbol
-now release buttons controls:volume keys = up,down; camera key = select; back key = back; home = hide all text
-select "wipe data/factory reset"
-select yes
-select "wipe cache partition"
-select yes
-select "mounts and storage"
-select "format /system"
-select yes
-hit the back button after it's complete
-select "advanced"
-select "Wipe Dalvik Cache"
-select yes
-hit the back button after it's complete (you may or may not have to I am pretty sure the screen flashes and main menu comes back up)
-select "backup and restore"
-select "restore"
-select "BCDS-20110203-0357"
-select yes
-after done select "reboot system now"
-go through set up steps and don't add your google account (just hit skip when it asks)
-once at home screen open "Settings"
-go down to "Applications" and click it
-select "Unknown sources"
-you should get a popup, click "OK"
-Click the home button
-Enjoy Stock Rom :D, continue onto "Steps:Recovery"
Steps: Recovery
-Open the folder holding the stock nandroid/recovery
-copy "recovery.img"
-plug in phone and mount it
-open sdcard
-paste it in the root of the sdcard (not inside any folders)
-extract "flash_image.zip" it till you have "flash_image"
-go to folder holding "flash_image" (it won't have an extension or picture in windows if you can getting a folder with zipper you didn't unzip)
-copy "flash_image"
-open sdcard
-paste it in the root of the sdcard (not inside any folders)
-copy "term.apk"
-paste it in the root of the sdcard (not inside any folders)
-extract "Superuser 3.0.7.zip"
-copy "Superuser.apk"
-paste it in the root of the sdcard (not inside any folders)
-unmount "usb storage" and unplug the phone
-hit home button
-open the app "ES File Explorer"
-click "Yes" if a popup comes up
-scroll down until you see "Superuser.apk"
-click on it
-there should be 2 choices "Install" or "Cancel"
-select "Install
-click "Done"
-scroll down until you see "Term.apk"
-click on it
-there should be 2 choices "Install or "Cancel"
-select "Install"
-select open after done installing
-type "su" and hit enter
-a message should come up saying "Allow" or "Deny"
-select "Allow"
-hit the back key
-open "Terminal Emulator" again
-*Note be very carefully entering in the commands, it's always a good idea to double or triple check to see if you entered it right
-type "su" (a # symbol should be right under the $ symbol) and hit enter
-type "mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system" and hit enter
-type "cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image" and hit enter
-type "chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image" and hit enter
-type "mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5" and hit enter
-type "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img" and hit enter
-type "reboot recovery"
-now you should go into 100% Stock Recovery
-after it boots into recovery select "reboot phone"
-uninstall "Terminal Emulator and "Superuser"
-Enjoy :D
Troubleshooting
-If you get "Install blocked" when trying to install "Term.apk" you didn't enable unknown sources. To see how to enable click "Show"
-once at home screen open "Settings"
-go down to "Applications" and click it
-select "Unknown sources"
-you should get a popup, click "OK"
-Click the home button
-Quotes are there to make easier to clarify what needs to be done. Don't actually type them when it comes to terminal commands.
_________________
If you note a mistake in the instructions please tell me and I will fix it, especially if it's a terminal command. Thanks :D

Have a Motorola Triumph??? Want it stock too??? Here yah go !Guide! 100% Stock Motorola Triumph

*Note the reason I explain everything in so much detail is some people have less knowledge than others and when it was me with less knowledge I liked the extra explanation. Must of you would only need the links which is why I put them at the top.


All files here are other peoples and the credit goes to them for supplying them. I only put together all the guides/files into a guide on 100% Stock.

If you are thinking about copying and pasting the guide to another forum/website I would hope that you had the decency to just permalink to it so people could get help if they had questions that weren't on the guide. If not at least link to it/give credit.
 
Actually all the OP really needed was to flash either Harmonia, Bumblebee, or the Stock ROM.
He just wanted to activate the phone. All the ^ ROM's have the activate app.
He will probably much more have wanted to do that as it is far easer and will still allow him to go back to the currently installed ROM if a backup exists. If not then it's easy enough to do that as well.
Put yourselves in the OP's shoes and listen to what he was really saying. After all would you really want to go through unrooting and all that other stuff just to activate the phone if you had the best ROM for the "V" already installed. A lot of times new members don't know all there options and are focused on just the main goal.
We need to help them to see all the options first. Then accomplish what they want based on this new knowledge they have been given.
 
Actually all the OP really needed was to flash either Harmonia, Bumblebee, or the Stock ROM.
He just wanted to activate the phone. All the ^ ROM's have the activate app.
He will probably much more have wanted to do that as it is far easer and will still allow him to go back to the currently installed ROM if a backup exists. If not then it's easy enough to do that as well.
Put yourselves in the OP's shoes and listen to what he was really saying. After all would you really want to go through unrooting and all that other stuff just to activate the phone if you had the best ROM for the "V" already installed. A lot of times new members don't know all there options and are focused on just the main goal.
We need to help them to see all the options first. Then accomplish what they want based on this new knowledge they have been given.

You make a good point, try to help newer members accomplish their goals without getting caught up in details (like what they actually asked for).
 
You want to help them accomplish their goals(sometimes that's what they really want).
We should train our observation skills, and also get good at being able to ask questions that will draw out what really happened ( how did it really get messed up) without being rude,or condescending.We also need to inform them of there options to determine what they really want. In some cases an OP has changed what they really wanted to do, based on the new options. We need to always think how we would want things done. The easy way, or the hard way.


This is not always possible. But this attitude will help us to help a lot more members and give them the desire to help others as well.
 
I had another question. I was able to return it to stock but I've been having trouble getting recovery back to stock, does this phone have a native recovery or is it just a custom recovery? I tried using terminal emulator and when i enter "su" it says Permission/Access Denied, so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Any help tips/info would be appreciated. thanks bunches
 
Back
Top Bottom