• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update on Release Date?

If you really want the upgrade pricing, one way to do it is to add a new line to your account for $10 a month. This is the family plan. By adding the line you get the new account pricing on any phone (except the Iphone). You then take the SIM card from your regular account and use it the new phone so you are using your regular number. This adds $10 a month to your bill but you save the money upfront on the device. Of course after two years you actually paid $240 extra on your bill but in most cases this is still cheaper than buying the device at full price. You also have a backup phone in case anything happens to your regular phone.

If you really want the upgrade pricing, one way to do it is to add a new line to your account for $10 a month. This is the family plan. By adding the line you get the new account pricing on any phone (except the Iphone). You then take the SIM card from your regular account and use it the new phone so you are using your regular number. This adds $10 a month to your bill but you save the money upfront on the device. Of course after two years you actually paid $240 extra on your bill but in most cases this is still cheaper than buying the device at full price. You also have a backup phone in case anything happens to your regular phone.

Is it just $10 more per month? I would think there would be a data charge as well. So either an additional $15 or $25 more per month in addtion to the $10 for the additional line.

Is it just $10 more per month? I would think there would be a data charge as well. So either an additional $15 or $25 more per month in addtion to the $10 for the additional line.

Why? You do not need a data plan for the new line, assuming you already have it on your main line. You are using the SIM card from your main line, which I assume already has data, in your new phone. If you do not have a data plan already, well then yes, you will need a data plan, but you need that anyway if you are buying a smartphone.

Take the sim card from the $10 line throw into you old phone for safe keeping. It wont be usable, but you have it in case you need it for something.

I have done this twice over the last several years, once to get a phone for my wife (she just wanted a normal everyday phone), so I went to the store, bought a HTC TILT when it was the new thing for myself, and gave her an old phone I had laying around from 2001. Swapped sims and was good to go. I did it one other time for a new phone. Never needed a data plan on the other line, so it was only $10 both times.

When the 2 yr commitment is over, drop the line.

Do the math and make sure it makes sense. If you paying $10 a month for 24 months and you are saving $100 by getting the discount, obviously this doesn't make sense. But usually, you are saving about $300 or more off the non-discount price of a smartphone, so it does make sense.

JUST IN
per wall street journal 10 min ago AT&T will start selling motorola atrix on March 6th with pre sale beginning Feb 13!!!!!!

JUST IN
per wall street journal 10 min ago AT&T will start selling motorola atrix on March 6th with pre sale beginning Feb 13!!!!!!

I was just reading that article on WSJ.com and came here to post when I saw your post from a few minutes earlier.

You can also sell your old phone to make up for the cost ;)

Why? You do not need a data plan for the new line, assuming you already have it on your main line. You are using the SIM card from your main line, which I assume already has data, in your new phone. If you do not have a data plan already, well then yes, you will need a data plan, but you need that anyway if you are buying a smartphone.

Take the sim card from the $10 line throw into you old phone for safe keeping. It wont be usable, but you have it in case you need it for something.

I have done this twice over the last several years, once to get a phone for my wife (she just wanted a normal everyday phone), so I went to the store, bought a HTC TILT when it was the new thing for myself, and gave her an old phone I had laying around from 2001. Swapped sims and was good to go. I did it one other time for a new phone. Never needed a data plan on the other line, so it was only $10 both times.

When the 2 yr commitment is over, drop the line.

Do the math and make sure it makes sense. If you paying $10 a month for 24 months and you are saving $100 by getting the discount, obviously this doesn't make sense. But usually, you are saving about $300 or more off the non-discount price of a smartphone, so it does make sense.

Hi. Just signed up here.
I've had a Blackberry for a couple years (9000 now the 9800). I'm interested in the Atrix, but I'm only six months into my contract, since I got the Torch when it was released in August. I'm with ATT and have a family plan. i have unlimited data plan on my Torch. My wife has a basic cell phone.

If I ask for a new line and get the Atrix, won't I be required to get a data plan with it also? I'm paying $30 now for the unlimited data for the Torch.

Have I been misunderstanding the data plan all this time? I've always thought it was $30 per phone (so if my wife and I both had Torches, with unlimited data, I'd be paying $60 a month for data.) Or does that $30 cover all phones in the family plan?

Thanks

$30 a month per a smartphone. It would be nice if there was a data Unlimited for the entire family similar to the Family Texting plan

Running at the same ol' 480x800, which means an even lower PPI @ 216 than my current phone (Captivate, same res at 4", 233PPI).

The Atrix with 4" at 960x540 (~275PPI) is a major step in the right direction for Android displays.

If you have ever seen a desire hds screen you would see how awesome the inspires screen will be

Back
Top Bottom