• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root usb tether

when i did usb tether th is what i got
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b8:88:e3:41:12:ae
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:16

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:20892 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:20892 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:2405862 (2.4 MB) TX bytes:2405862 (2.4 MB)

usb0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr b6:f9:90:ee:4f:7d
inet addr:192.168.42.67 Bcast:192.168.42.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::b4f9:90ff:feee:4f7d/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:26 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:54 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:2800 (2.8 KB) TX bytes:12368 (12.3 KB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr e0:06:e6:4e:6b:09
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:221140 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:192161 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
RX bytes:180703889 (180.7 MB) TX bytes:28968572 (28.9 MB)

Upvote 0
I just want something different other than the WiFi tether app cause he makes the phone hot and it uses a lot more data I don't wanna be the one using a bunch of data with WiFi tether. I just want something I can do USB tether on. I might switch back to a sense ROM doe. BTW while I'm talking to the Ubuntu experts is there a app or something where I can plug this phone and then reply to text messages on the computer?

Upvote 0
I haven't used it in awhile but back in my BlackBerry days using PDANet the only thing that was limited on the trial version was the ability to connect to secure sites. And if you're ever in a bind looking for phone drivers, June Fabrics, the developer has some of the best 3rd party drivers available.
They must have changed their policy because this is what the Play Store description for PDAnet+ says:
Free edition of PdaNet+ will require you to turn back on after some usage, otherwise it is same as full version.
and pretty much the same thing in the FoxFi description:
The free version now has a usage limit that requires you to restart FoxFi to continue using free mode. You can purchase the full version key to unlock this.
It's just a sign of the times I guess. :(

The PDAnet 3.50 description on the Play Store, which shows as not compatible for our Evo 3D/V devices, still reflects the policy you described but the full version of that is no longer available for purchase on their website so I suspect that will be phased out very soon. Older versions of the original PDAnet are still available for download on their website at this point, but accessing the internet without being able to login to secured sites would be pretty restrictive.

I actually paid $35 for a license on WM7. I should see if that license is transferable to Android, but I doubt it.

Edit: I found my answer in the FAQ: :thumbdown:
I have purchased PdaNet for Windows Mobile or Palm OS before, can I reuse my license?

The Android phone runs a completely different system. As a result PdaNet had to be rewritten and not covered by the upgrade track. However the Android version is priced at significantly less expensive.

And after all that, PDAnet doesn't seem to support linux anyway so I guess it's moot, at least for this thread. LOL! ;)

ramjet73

Upvote 0
If you are using the built-in software that type of usage is much easier for VM to track.
My apologies to Teh_Kitteh since I don't think the USB and WiFi tethering functions built-in to the AOSP based ROM's are any easier to track than the add-on tethering apps. I thought you were using a Sense ICS ROM which probably doesn't even have those options for VM since tethering is not supported. In the Sprint ICS stock ROM there is an integrated hotspot app which requires a premium data service and an option in the USB function selection screen for tethering and those are the options that are easier to track since the carrier controls that ROM version.

However, the warning about overusing tethering still applies. I know several Sprint users that had their accounts terminated for excessive use of data even though they were using apps that were supposed to be "stealth" to the carriers.

ramjet73

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones