• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Use GPS Navigation without a Destination!

ttran97

Android Enthusiast
For the longest time, I would use Maps and see myself driving, but the map never rotated in relation to the direction I was going. This bugged me because it seemed like a simple GPS feature that Google should have included.

Well, with the newest Maps update (ver. 4.4.0), you can now go into Navigation and let it run without a destination and still see your location on the map and it'll rotate accordingly.

Click on the Navigation icon from the app drawer. You'll see a list of options and at the top where it says "Choose Destination", you'll see a little map icon on the far right. Click that and now you'll just see a map showing your current location and it will follow you when you drive around.

nav_menu.jpg

Edit: Removed navigation screenshot.

oh I wish I knew about this yesterday. My daughter and I were walking around the old part of Charleston, SC with the cobbled streets and old houses and I pulled up Navigator for a map of just the streets to see where we wanted to walk, etc. and I couldn't get it to work even in walking mode because it required a destination. Thanks for mentioning this. I haven't used the navigation on the eris much as I have a gps for the car but this would have been perfect.

Where is this? It isn't there in maps or navigator? What are you running on? Root? Your battery gauge doesn't even look like mine.

DFA1...thanks. :)

Where is this? It isn't there in maps or navigator? What are you running on? Root? Your battery gauge doesn't even look like mine.

Yeah, you have to open this by clicking Navigation, not Maps. I'm rooted and I used droidkevlar's metamorph theme for a circular battery. I'm running xtrROM 3.0.3.

Back
Top Bottom