• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] confused why I can't get JDK to run on my computer

hurricane630

I'm trying to get started to unlocking this phone, but I can't even install the JDK apparently. Downloaded the windows 64 bit version. double clicked pressed run, and nothing happens. Tried to use the SDK installer and it says there is no JDK found. Am I missing something blatantly obvious? lol

I then downloaded the JRE version on the same page just to see if I could at least download that, worked without a problem...

I'm trying to get started to unlocking this phone, but I can't even install the JDK apparently. Downloaded the windows 64 bit version. double clicked pressed run, and nothing happens. Tried to use the SDK installer and it says there is no JDK found. Am I missing something blatantly obvious? lol

I then downloaded the JRE version on the same page just to see if I could at least download that, worked without a problem...

hurricane630,

Just saw this thread...apologies for not replying sooner...

Are you trying to install the full SDK in order to unlock and root? The JDK is really only need for doing actual development using something like the Eclipse IDE, etc.

If so, you probably don't need the full enchilada of installing the SDK and the Java JDK and can get away with installing just the adb and fastboot utilities.

Let me know what you're trying to accomplish and we'll go from there.

Cheers!

I do appreciate the reply, but after trying to do this for hours, I ended up using the one click root method. I am now succesfully unlocked and rooted(first time ever. Never rooted on my OG droid) But just want to say thank you very much for that thread and the insight that it gave me!

Also one quick question that I couldn't find. To remove a rom, can I just go into my internal settings(when hooked up to my pc) and delete the rom I have flashed on? or do I have to Un-root and then re-root if I want to put a different rom on? And this is what I used to root today http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...ou-go-one-step-unlock-root-relock-unroot.html The CWM

Thank you very much!

I do appreciate the reply, but after trying to do this for hours, I ended up using the one click root method. I am now succesfully unlocked and rooted(first time ever. Never rooted on my OG droid) But just want to say thank you very much for that thread and the insight that it gave me!

Also one quick question that I couldn't find. To remove a rom, can I just go into my internal settings(when hooked up to my pc) and delete the rom I have flashed on? or do I have to Un-root and then re-root if I want to put a different rom on? And this is what I used to root today http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...ou-go-one-step-unlock-root-relock-unroot.html The CWM

Thank you very much!

Once your rooted with CWM, you can flash any ROM you want through there. The guide thread at the top provides a lot of good info.

You shouldn't ever have to "unroot" unless you want to return your phone (the guides explain how)

if you "flash" a ROM it replaces the ROM that's on the phone you can't delete it. you can flash another or flash back to the "stock" rom ( a stock rom is in the guide thread)

You also want to read up on nandriod backups, you should take one before flashing a ROM and before flashing a different ROM.

another good thing to read up on is MD5 checksums, these are a way to verify that the file you downloaded is not corrupt (rare but can happen)

Also one quick question that I couldn't find. To remove a rom, can I just go into my internal settings(when hooked up to my pc) and delete the rom I have flashed on? or do I have to Un-root and then re-root if I want to put a different rom on? And this is what I used to root today http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/477365-here-you-go-one-step-unlock-root-relock-unroot.html The CWM

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you can certainly remove the rom from the virtual sd card (assuming that's the current location), but that would just be to save space or declutter. The rom doesn't run from that location, it's simply loaded into recovery from there.

So if you wanted to flash a different rom, you can simply go into recovery, perform whatever wipes are applicable in your situation, then load a new rom. To be on the safe side (and there is deliberation on what is required as to what is overkill :)), I typically do the following when flashing a new rom from within recovery:

wipe data/factory reset > wipe cache partition > in advanced menu, wipe dalvik cache.

Then with the new rom (zip) at some location on the virtual "sd card"...

install zip from sd card > choose zip from sd card > now you can navigate to find your rom, select and load it. Upon reboot, you should be running your new rom.

Edit: ninja'd by Crashumbc. Good info in his post also.

Could you give me a link to for a place to read about nandroid backups? I backed up the current rom and installed titanium backup(didn't really know what exactly to do with it though to be honest) Like I said this is my first time and a lot of what I've read has helped and a lot of what I've read has looked like a foreign language lol
I used the [How To] at the top of this section to do most of what I've done. I used it to flash the 4.0.4 rom onto my phone, but want to put the codename android rom on.

I would like to apologize for my lack of knowledge. I know it can be frustrating dealing with an idiot(which I think I am when it comes to rooting and all of the roms and kernels lol) but please just try to have some patience with me.

I backed up the current rom and installed titanium backup(didn't really know what exactly to do with it though to be honest).

Sounds like you already did a nand backup then. You can do this from within clockwork recovery or by choosing the backup current rom option in Rom Manager, they're the same thing. There's a somewhat recent thread floating around concerning Titanium and associated tips.

http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga.../494740-titainul-back-guru-wanted-needed.html
Edit: ^Here it is.

If I flash a new rom onto my phone, does it erase everything on my phone?
Edit: Also thank you for the link. And If I do a factory reset like iowabowtech said, will I lose everything I have in titanium backup?

Could you give me a link to for a place to read about nandroid backups? I backed up the current rom and installed titanium backup(didn't really know what exactly to do with it though to be honest) Like I said this is my first time and a lot of what I've read has helped and a lot of what I've read has looked like a foreign language lol
I used the [How To] at the top of this section to do most of what I've done. I used it to flash the 4.0.4 rom onto my phone, but want to put the codename android rom on.

I would like to apologize for my lack of knowledge. I know it can be frustrating dealing with an idiot(which I think I am when it comes to rooting and all of the roms and kernels lol) but please just try to have some patience with me.

all you need to do to get to codename is download the file from here:

[ROM][AOSP][4.0.3] Codename Android 1.3.3 [Fully Open Source](02/07/12) - RootzWiki

reboot into clockwork recovery either through ROM manager (available in the market) or by holding both volume + and - while turning the phone on then selecting "recovery" from the menu with the volume keys. once in recovery, select "backup/restore" and create a backup. next select "wipe data/factory reset", then "wipe cache", then "advanced -> wipe dalvik cache". you now have a clean base to install a new ROM on. select "install .zip from SD", navigate to the "download" folder and find the codename .zip you downloaded earlier and install. when it is finished, reboot, and you are all set.

flashing a new rom does not erase anything, in and of itself. however, roms that require a wipe in recovery (like codename), will leave you with a clean slate. if you have your apps backed up with titanium, you can easily restore from there to get everything back though.

Edit: Also thank you for the link. And If I do a factory reset like iowabowtech said, will I lose everything I have in titanium backup?

No because the factory reset option within clockwork does not wipe the virtual sd card. So the titanium files and any nandroid backups (clockworkmod folder) are saved because that's where they reside. So when you flash a new rom, you can head over to the market and download titanium. It recognizes you by a special file located on the sd card, then you can proceed to restore anything you wish. See the tutorials for tips though to avoid conflicts. Also, if you have backup to Google servers selected from previous roms, you should get all or most of your apps back that way, they'll start to come back from the cloud after you are up and running. But, I like to make sure all the apps found their way back when using that route. If there are any missing, you can then use the "restore all missing apps" option in Titanium. Also, app data restore via Google has been hit and miss for me so I also like to restore all app data from Titanium just to be sure I have all my latest app settings and associated data.

flashing a new rom does not erase anything, in and of itself. however, roms that require a wipe in recovery (like codename), will leave you with a clean slate. if you have your apps backed up with titanium, you can easily restore from there to get everything back though.

to add to this, flashing won't remove anything on the /sdcard folder on your phone.

It WILL remove all your apps, homescreen setup, app data, phone call history, txt history.

you can use titainium back-up to get your apps and most of you app data back, there are back-up programs for sms txt messages, your phone number are loaded into your google account right? (hint: do this if they aren't they'll sync back automatically:P)

to add to this, flashing won't remove anything on the /sdcard folder on your phone.

It WILL remove all your apps, homescreen setup, app data, phone call history, txt history.

you can use titainium back-up to get your apps and most of you app data back, there are back-up programs for sms txt messages, your phone number are loaded into your google account right? (hint: do this if they aren't they'll sync back automatically:P)

How do I get all my contacts into my google account? I do have them backed up, but they are in the vzw backup assistant. I want to transfer all of those to my google account, but cant figure out how. And thank you everyone for all the VERY helpful info. And it has worked very well :)

How do I get all my contacts into my google account? I do have them backed up, but they are in the vzw backup assistant. I want to transfer all of those to my google account, but cant figure out how. And thank you everyone for all the VERY helpful info. And it has worked very well :)

LOL, glad I replied ;) :)...you've gotten some great feedback here...thanks and keep it coming, guys!

(p.s., I have no idea how to get your contacts from backup assistance to Google; hopefully one of the other guys has an idea).

How many do you have? I only had about 50 so I did it manually, when I got my Incredible a couple years ago. By manually I mean on the computer not into my phone :P

Unfortunately, I don't know much about VZW :/ I know google can import a variety of file types but I'm not sure what VZW can export.

One good thing about entering them manually is, I found a lot of duplicates, typos etc. that I corrected while I did it...

I have about 120. Could probably get rid of bout 40 as I filtered. How do I go about doing it manually?? or if someone has an easier way of doing it please speak up lol

I have about 120. Could probably get rid of bout 40 as I filtered. How do I go about doing it manually?? or if someone has an easier way of doing it please speak up lol

Log into the gmail account you log into on the phone (on a computer), click contacts(click the "mail" icon in the upper left corner, contacts is a drop down), add away.

you "may" have to delete the other ones off the phone :/

I tried to create a "phone" contact to give you more accurate info. but it looks like ICS doesn't even give you the option.

look at your gmail contacts, its possible it already converted them... (this is just a random ass guess)

I haven't really looked into it but are you sure that the Backup Assistant app hasn't already synced with the "People" app on the phone? Because if so, you should already be done. If not, you might want to check this out:
Answers to FAQs about backup Assistant℠

Worst case, you can surely export the contact list and store as a csv file or similar, then import them into the people app. At which point you may find you have no use for the Backup Assistant app anymore since your contacts will already be cloud synced via Google.

I am reasonably sure you can save them by going into the main device settings -> accounts & sync and checking the box for "sync contacts". Can't say 100% though as I haven't used backup assistant since my blackberry days.