• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon jellybean

Honestly, im torn between ditching VZW right now, selling my gnex, and then buying the gsm version, or sticking through the next 19 months with 2 updates a year... I'm tired of having a ported version, and having to update every other day. I want to get the most out of Google now by actually having it getting to know me, instead of wiping it every other day... I want my official jelly bean!!

Upvote 0
Honestly, im torn between ditching VZW right now, selling my gnex, and then buying the gsm version, or sticking through the next 19 months with 2 updates a year... I'm tired of having a ported version, and having to update every other day. I want to get the most out of Google now by actually having it getting to know me, instead of wiping it every other day... I want my official jelly bean!!

What are you using that you have to update every other day and wipe?

I have been on jellybean for about a week now and haven't had to update or wipe since. And it is very stable...

Vicious 4.1.1 try that out

Upvote 0
I'm going to laugh when the next Verizon update is version 4.1.2 and all the GSM phone owners freak out over when they will get the update.

Yep the VZW one usually comes later but it's also usually newer. VZW Nexus had 4.0.2 when everything else had 4.0.1. When VZW finally got 4.0.4 it was a newer build than the GSM one. Honestly the whining about VZW being late with updates is pure lunacy. It's not thaaaaat big a deal to wait a bit and anyone who reaaaallly cares about updates that much has always been able to install leaks or custom roms often within a day or two of the GSM version getting something. XY build is XY build whether VZW puts it on your phone or you do.

Upvote 0
VZW being back in AOSP still doesn't negate the fact that VZW will want to do super duper internal testing with the updated firmware on their network before pushing it out.

aka VZW will probably still have to approve of the update.

Yes, but hopefully, we'll get an early leak of the test update for us Rooters to jump on. That's all I'm waiting for. I give it a month after the GSM update, so only a few more weeks.

Upvote 0
Well, Verizon seems more concerned about the radio issue, and that fix is rumored to come during late august to come before jelly bean... so I'm banking on between late September mid October. Ugh...

I am very glad to hear this. When verizon had a similar situation with Incredible they decided to merge the 2 updates and it took forever to get a needed fix done. However, I would bet they send both at same time if a radio fix is coming.

Am I the only one who doesn't care when we get jelly bean, I would just like radio fix as quick as possible.

Upvote 0
I am very glad to hear this. When verizon had a similar situation with Incredible they decided to merge the 2 updates and it took forever to get a needed fix done. However, I would bet they send both at same time if a radio fix is coming.

Am I the only one who doesn't care when we get jelly bean, I would just like radio fix as quick as possible.

Nope you're not the only one. That needs to be their number one priority right now. I'd rather use ICS without having to hear the other caller ask "Are you there? Hello!" than use Jelly Bean with the problem, like I do now.

Upvote 0

Wouldn't mind having a more stable connection, and to actually use the 4G. Though it would be amazing if we got both in one update :D

Upvote 0
I will be honest, I am not sure how much the radio can be fixed. My co-worker has an S3, and he gets about the same signal as I do... ie None. Perhaps one-way calling and hand-off can be improved, which would be nice.

I am thinking the in call muting and the hand off / data drop issues can be fixed. My signal is fine otherwise. And honestly, isn't my phone the only one that matters?

Upvote 0
I'm more interested when Verizon will have 4G where I'm at. Also, I wouldn't mind better radios. I was in San Antonio a couple weeks back and I was getting iffy 4G in an area that SHOULD have been strong 4G. For example, when my phone was on my night stand next to my bed, it had 4G. The moment I picked it up and moved it a couple feet it would drop to 3G. I wasn't sure if is poor coverage, or if it was the phone, since I didn't have another 4G phone with me.

I'm pretty happy with 4.0.4...of course, if Verizon pumps out JB soon, I won't complain about that either. :)

Upvote 0
Why I'm ditching the Verizon Galaxy Nexus | Computerworld Blogs

Well said!

Hopefully Verizon, Google, and Samsung will get the update out before the end of the month, otherwise I'll be a GSM $50/month customer.

So true! I was thinking of switching over to a prepaid plan anyways, even though I don't have a problem with Verizon (since I'm rooted) other than the phone bill I receive every month. Does anyone know how it works if I use Google Voice to make calls? Does that just simply use data or would that count as talk minutes?

Upvote 0
So true! I was thinking of switching over to a prepaid plan anyways, even though I don't have a problem with Verizon (since I'm rooted) other than the phone bill I receive every month. Does anyone know how it works if I use Google Voice to make calls? Does that just simply use data or would that count as talk minutes?
I think google voice is a VOIP service, so it would use data. I could be wrong though.

Upvote 0
I think google voice is a VOIP service, so it would use data. I could be wrong though.

Google Voice, by itself, is a forwarding service. Calls placed or received using Google Voice will use your minutes. You can use apps like GrooveIP or Talkatone to use Google Voice over a data connection and not use your minutes. There's more to it than just using GrooveIP or Talkatone (maybe not much more), but I don't use either one so I can't go into any detail on the setup.

Upvote 0
GrooveIP uses Google Voice. There isn't a lot you have to set up, when you first start GrooveIP, it will want you to sign into your Google Voice account -- it then forwards its VoIP calls through Google Voice.

GrooveIP is set up to default to only working when using WiFi. If you want it to make calls when you are on a data connection, you will have to change that in the settings. There aren't alot of other things you have to change, but it does have a lot of settings to adjust volume and call clarity.

A few things you probably want to set: to start GrooveIP on phone startup and how you want your Google Talk status set (since you will be logged on). One other setting is when you want GrooveIP to handle calls: one option is to ask before each call, always, or (the option I use) always but only when connected to WiFi.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones