• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] New radios!

I flashed the new radios yesterday. Signal strength seems about the same. 4g seems more stable. Time will tell if this was a worthwhile update, I suppose.

If I were to put aluminum foil inside my diztronic case, would it help me get better signal?

Maybe glue a piece inside my battery cover???

These new radios definitely helped my phone. I'm seeing an increase in about 8dBm and I can now get 4G in the house. Before hand, my phone would switch to 3G as soon as I walked in the house. No more, and it's even full bars throughout the house with 4G too.

What's the consensus on the new radios? I flashed them, but I think I'm losing signal after handoffs. VZW just turned on 4G in my town, so I don't know if it is the radios or VZW tinkering with the network.

For some reason, I've actually gotten the R for roaming a couple times since flashing the new radios but once I disable mobile data and enable it again, I get the normal 3g or 4g connection I should be getting

loving the new radios. i can actually use 4g now and the hand off between 3g -> 4g and 4g -> 3g is a lot faster.

I used to lose signal probably 10-15 times a day and it would take 5 minutes to reacquire. With the new radios I've had 0 signal drops and instant hand-offs between 3g/4g/wifi. Signal strength is the same though but I'm happy with my results!

my 4g drops down to 3g when my phone idles for a long time and when i tether/heavy browsering ive noticed that i'll have a data drop...

i'll give it another week tho because im in mississippi and im hoping that the towers are still a lil off b/c of isaac...

Ok been using the new radios for a full day and I have had NO issues with signal drops coming out of idle mode or while randomly using my phone. This has been the happiest day I've ever had with my GNex! So excited right now I don't even know what to do with myself.

Well I flashed them yesterday but hadn't gotten a chance to test some weak spots on my commute.
Areas where I can barely grab a 3G signal, I'm getting two bars of LTE. :D
Only dbm test I've done was in the apartment and I only went from - 98 to - 96 but I'll keep testing.

Made a big difference in signal strength on my wife's phone and seemingly improved battery life (it's only been two days so that may be subjective).

I think Samsung built this feature into the GNex...thus all of our reception problems :p

Foil helped me get an additional 3 channels on my TV in college....I just thought it might help me get an extra half bar. I suppose our phones use a digital antenna or something that foil would probably block. Oh well.

Poor reception is my only lingering complaint about this phone. The rest was solved by leankernal, AOKP and JB.

I flashed the new radios and still had the one way audio mute problem 9 minutes into a call last night. Disappointed...

You don't HAVE to flash the bootloader, but it is recommended if you're going to be flashing jelly bean ROMs.
Personally, I flashed jb ROMs with the old bootloader, and the new one. I haven't noticed a difference.

bu2u6ypa.jpg

Hi,

Only flashed the new radios. No difference in my residential area. I believe it is all up to Verizon Wireless on signal.

Back
Top Bottom