• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Please help. I have no idea where to start...

DoctorEyeSight

Android Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2012
Hello All,

I have the following & my phone is rooted:

Android version 4.0.3

Codename android 1.4.0

Lean kernel 3.0.21

I am confused on how I can upgrade first to the latest Android Version 4.0.4 and then afterwards I would like to install a great ROM/Kernel. I had no complaints about the ROM/Kernel that I'm currently using. Any suggestions on a great ROM/Kernel currently being used or popular by many users with few complaints?

Can someone please help me out step by step on how to accomplish this?

To update your ROM: I am unfamiliar with that particular ROM, I think you need to go to their main website and check what their latest version is and their particular instructions for making the 4.0.3 --> 4.0.4 switch. I don't know if you need to get back to stock, flash the latest OTA, then your ROM or what exactly but they will. It shouldn't be too bad though, my guess is probably a wipe and a few flashes will do it.

To update your kernel: (do this once you update your ROM) I would just download the latest LK .zip and flash it in CWM, and once that's done there is a really convenient script in terminal, just type "su" for root access and "lkflash" for the update menu... downloads and installs right from the terminal no more booting into recovery to flash kernels, just a standard reboot and you're good to go. <3 LK

Upvote 0
Sure...

No need to return to stock... just do a full wipe before install. (dalik, system, cache and data).

Radios: [CDMA][Radio][Bootloader]4.0.4 IMM76K Radios and Bootloader - xda-developers

Roms:

Aokp: http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...470145-rom-4-0-4-aokp-b39-m5-mods-6-15-a.html

LiquidSmooth: http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga.../518803-aosp-liquidsmooth-v1-4-5-18-12-a.html

Kernal:

LeanKernal (you seem to like that one): http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...462-kernel-4-0-4-leankernel-3-9-0-6-10-a.html

I prefer AOKP and Leankernal, although the kernal that comes with B39 aokp seems to be good.

Keep the questions coming! :)

Upvote 0
Also, I don't want to lose my pictures, so, do I need to back it up? If so, which app is great for backups?

From within recovery, create a nandroid backup. This is THE best way to backup everything as it is essentially an image of your phone at that moment.

You won't loose pictures unless you choose to wipe your SD card...so don't do that. When you are wiping things like data, system, etc...you are wiping your SD card. That is the beauty of recovery.

Hope this helps.

Hi Steven58,

Thanks a lot. So do I wipe the current stuff I have and then like install first the new system/radio? Then the rom/kernel? Does order matter?

Also, I have Verizon wireless, so those links are good for vzw?

This is how I would do it.

Flash radio.
Wipe data, system, cache, dalvik.
Flash ROM.
Flash GApps.http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
Flash Kernel.
Reboot.
Profit!

Upvote 0
From within recovery, create a nandroid backup. This is THE best way to backup everything as it is essentially an image of your phone at that moment.

You won't loose pictures unless you choose to wipe your SD card...so don't do that. When you are wiping things like data, system, etc...you are wiping your SD card. That is the beauty of recovery.

Hope this helps.

This is how I would do it.

Flash radio.
Wipe data, system, cache, dalvik.
Flash ROM.
Flash GApps.Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip
Flash Kernel.
Reboot.
Profit!

Thank you so much, I appreciate your help. However, what is Flash GApps and the link for?

Reactions: jmar
Upvote 0
Thank you so much, I appreciate your help. However, what is Flash GApps and the link for?

Google Applications are not preloaded in this and many ROMs. It is a separate flash to get the Play Store and a couple other apps. I believe this one doesn't include Gmail, so download that from the Play Store.

Hope that helps!

jmar

Upvote 0
Currently backing up my phone through recovery mode.

My phone is unlocked and rooted like 4 months ago using Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit Version 1.3. Now, I have the latest version 1.4. In the Version 1.4 of Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit, do I need to like re-root and re-unlock it all over again before I do the above procedures? (Flash Radio, Install ROM/GAPPS/Kernel)

Upvote 0
Currently backing up my phone through recovery mode.

My phone is unlocked and rooted like 4 months ago using Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit Version 1.3. Now, I have the latest version 1.4. In the Version 1.4 of Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit, do I need to like re-root and re-unlock it all over again before I do the above procedures? (Flash Radio, Install ROM/GAPPS/Kernel)

If you are already unlocked and rooted then you just need custom recovery. Stickies at the top of this forum have a lot of info on that. Sorry, I am headed out to the store with my son. If you still need help when I get back I will be around.

jmar

Upvote 0
If you are already unlocked and rooted then you just need custom recovery. Stickies at the top of this forum have a lot of info on that. Sorry, I am headed out to the store with my son. If you still need help when I get back I will be around.

jmar

Thanks a lot. Custom Recovery as in the one you open up using recovery mode, right?

I just finished backing up my phone using recovery mode and now going to figure out how to flash the radios.

Upvote 0
While in Recovery mode, I tried to flash the radio.

I had the zip file sent to my SD card and I simply went into recovery mode, then install zip from sd card, chose zip from sdcard and selected the 4.0.4_IMM76K_radios_btldr.zip file and installed it successfully.

Then I cleared data/cache/dalvik/battery stats and rebooted, and went into system information the phone and it showed android version 4.0.3.

How can I flash it properly?

Upvote 0
While in Recovery mode, I tried to flash the radio.

I had the zip file sent to my SD card and I simply went into recovery mode, then install zip from sd card, chose zip from sdcard and selected the 4.0.4_IMM76K_radios_btldr.zip file and installed it successfully.

Then I cleared data/cache/dalvik/battery stats and rebooted, and went into system information the phone and it showed android version 4.0.3.

How can I flash it properly?

Okay, it's cool. Just go back into recovery and wipe data, cache and dalvik. Then back out to the main menu and select "mounts/storage" and wipe system. Now back out again and choose install from SD card like when you flashed the radio. Locate the ROM and flash. Do this for GApps and the kernel of your choice.

Then you're golden!

jmar

Upvote 0
Okay, it's cool. Just go back into recovery and wipe data, cache and dalvik. Then back out to the main menu and select "mounts/storage" and wipe system. Now back out again and choose install from SD card like when you flashed the radio. Locate the ROM and flash. Do this for GApps and the kernel of your choice.

Then you're golden!

jmar

Thanks, but like I can't get it to Flash the Radio to 4.0.4 android version through recovery mode. Did you mention that I have to do this through custom recovery? Sorry, not familiar with that one.

Upvote 0
This is a great guide to getting custom recovery onto your device.

[URL http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=3736600[/URL]

And this link to ensure your custom recovery "sticks."

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=3736600

Hope this helps.

jmar

I'm restoring my files back onto my phone and it says "ClockworkMod Recovery V5.5.0.4"

I remember doing it via the ROM manager way a while ago. So do I have custom recovery now? I currently haven't flashed the radio to the latest version.

Upvote 0
I'm restoring my files back onto my phone and it says "ClockworkMod Recovery V5.5.0.4"

I remember doing it via the ROM manager way a while ago. So do I have custom recovery now? I currently haven't flashed the radio to the latest version.

That is custom recovery. Follow the instructions I gave you previously and you should be golden.

jmar

Upvote 0
That is custom recovery. Follow the instructions I gave you previously and you should be golden.

jmar

I went into ClockworkMod Recovery V5.5.0.4 (RECOVERY MODE)

1 - Wiped Data/Cache/DalVik/Battery stats.

2 - Went into Mounts/Storage and selected Mount/System and selected "unmount system"

3 - Went into Install zip from SDCard and selected "choose zip from sdcard" & selected "4.0.4_IMM76k_radios_btldr.zip" - Showed Successful.

NOW, I'm not going to flash the ROM/KERNEL/GAPPS yet, I go to reboot my phone and I go into system information on my phone and it still shows "Android version 4.0.3"

Why is it not flashing the radio? It shows under ClockworkMod Recovery V5.5.0.4 as successful but when I go into my phone it still shows in the system information as the previous android version.

Upvote 0
I went into ClockworkMod Recovery V5.5.0.4 (RECOVERY MODE)

1 - Wiped Data/Cache/DalVik/Battery stats.

2 - Went into Mounts/Storage and selected Mount/System and selected "unmount system"

3 - Went into Install zip from SDCard and selected "choose zip from sdcard" & selected "4.0.4_IMM76k_radios_btldr.zip" - Showed Successful.

NOW, I'm not going to flash the ROM/KERNEL/GAPPS yet, I go to reboot my phone and I go into system information on my phone and it still shows "Android version 4.0.3"

Why is it not flashing the radio? It shows under ClockworkMod Recovery V5.5.0.4 as successful but when I go into my phone it still shows in the system information as the previous android version.

Okay, the radio flash and ROM are separate. That being said, if your radios are the 4.0.4 radios then this is what you should see:

leyZA.jpg

Notice the info in "Baseband Version." If yours say this under "System Info" then you have the correct radio. But in order to be on Android 4.0.4, you must flash a 4.0.4 ROM. No way around it. Hope that makes sense.

jmar

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones