• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Rooting VZW Nexus

Ravenwjf

Hey everyone!!!

I had rooted my Verizon Galaxy Nexus using Wug's toolkit. To root this way installs CWM so I will not be able to install the OTA with CWM installed. I have since un-rooted the phone while waiting for the Mythical Verizon 4.04/4.05 OTA.

What I am looking for is a way to root my phone and take the OTA and have it install....and yes I know this will break my root. Is there a way to do this with the Verizon Nexus? I see alot of root stuff for the GSM version, but I am not sure if that will work with the CDMA due to the LTE radios Verizon uses. My bootloader is already unlocked, and like I said, the phone has already be previously rooted, I am just looking for a way to do it without using CWM, if that is even possible. Thanks for any help in this!!!!

Hey everyone!!!

I had rooted my Verizon Galaxy Nexus using Wug's toolkit. To root this way installs CWM so I will not be able to install the OTA with CWM installed. I have since un-rooted the phone while waiting for the Mythical Verizon 4.04/4.05 OTA.

What I am looking for is a way to root my phone and take the OTA and have it install....and yes I know this will break my root. Is there a way to do this with the Verizon Nexus? I see alot of root stuff for the GSM version, but I am not sure if that will work with the CDMA due to the LTE radios Verizon uses. My bootloader is already unlocked, and like I said, the phone has already be previously rooted, I am just looking for a way to do it without using CWM, if that is even possible. Thanks for any help in this!!!!

There is a verizon galaxy nexus all things root section.

Hey everyone!!!

Ravenwjf,

I've moved your thread to the VZW all-things-root sub-forum for you :).

You've got several options...here's what I'd do:

1. Go ahead and re-root

2. Save root with OTA Rootkeeper (or via my new Android Root Toolkit app (see my signature for the link--its free in the Market :)))

3. Use my app to reflash stock recovery so that the OTA will install properly

4. Enjoy root while waiting for the OTA to arrive, when it does, let it (you're root's already saved)

5. After the OTA gets applied, restore/recovery root via whichever root-saving app you used above

6. Enjoy being rooted on 4.0.4 or 4.0.5 :)

By the way, OTA Rootkeeper works very well and I highly recommend it. Its open source and I used the very same exploit of the ext2/3/4 filesystems to make my app be able to save root in much the same way that it does.

Better yet--use both [I have] :).

Cheers!

Thanks, I appreciate the update!!!! I used the Superboot Method you had listed in your root guide, and it was super easy. I have to admit this is the easiest phone I have ever rooted (Droid X, Bionic, T-Bolt) so thanks for your guide. I did want to re-root and I did that last night in about 2 minutes. I will try your suggestions to keep the root after the OTA arrives.

From my understanding the Superboot method only installs the root binaries so I will be able to take and install the OTA, whereas any method that uses CWM would prevent the install.

Again, thanks for the info.

P.S. Do I need to flash stock recovery again if I did it when I un-rooted the last time?

Thanks, I appreciate the update!!!! I used the Superboot Method you had listed in your root guide, and it was super easy. I have to admit this is the easiest phone I have ever rooted (Droid X, Bionic, T-Bolt) so thanks for your guide. I did want to re-root and I did that last night in about 2 minutes. I will try your suggestions to keep the root after the OTA arrives.

From my understanding the Superboot method only installs the root binaries so I will be able to take and install the OTA, whereas any method that uses CWM would prevent the install.

Again, thanks for the info.

P.S. Do I need to flash stock recovery again if I did it when I un-rooted the last time?

No problem, Ravenwjf :).

No, if the stock recovery is the last thing you flashed, then you should still have it installed.

I added an "Identify Current Recovery" function in my app that I mentioned above--it'll tell you which recovery that's sitting there now.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom