• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Need lots of help please

cory1992

Jan 15, 2013
Ok, I currently own a VM GS3 I had it rooted after the purchase then wanted it unrooted just because...

I flashed a sprint rom on accident phone still worked fine just had a sprint bootload and required an SIM card

I proceeded to reroot and flash the stock zip from this forum and it worked but Clockwork was still there and my phone was still rooted

I then proceeded to try many other ideas none of which worked I then tried the flash counter reset and this is where things got bad

I no longer have any service except calling VM I have bars but thats it (well and Wifi) I also have all the sprint stock apps even after flashing the VM kernal

I need help trying to fix this I have run out of ideas and places to find anything for the VM GS3

My about phone is as follows

Model SPH-L710

Android version 4.1.2

Baseband L710VPAMD7

Kernal 3.0.31-1154085-user
se.infra@SEP-66 #2
SMP PREEMPT Sat Aug 20 07:15:45 KST 2013

Build number jzo54k.l710vpamd7

hardware version L710.14

Status

Network Samsung

signal -81 dBm 8 asu

Mobile network EvDo-rev.A:8 (this is because i turned off 4g which I dont get period)

Service state in service

user name 99000344259630@hcm.sprintpcs.com

mobile network state connected

my number is all zeros except the last 4 6224

Min is the same as above

PRL version 31104

MEID are viable will type if needed later
IMEI are visible will type if needed later
ICCID are visible will type if needed later

Device status modified (after flashing theBrittons roms)

Edit: I can flash the reset counter to get my looking stock

one is you need to reflash the stock vm modem. http://androidforums.com/virgin-mob...849-updated-op-vm-sgs3-stock-radio-fixed.html

then try ##72786# let it do its thing followed by the self service activate you could also try to spell ##VIRGIN#

if those fail

two i would flash punk mans odex original stock rom then try the reset zip and using samsung kies. failing that there is an odin flashable md7 to mg2 file that i posted might help fix some of your issues but hold that for when your vm apn setup.

if you can get to MD7 status normal Stock recovery then i would try calling CS support for a complete reactive ##RTN# (Return to new) they will provide you with the code needed

Reactions: cory1992
Upvote 0
ok tried the modem flash and this is what happens

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> modem.bin
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> Transmission Complete..
<ID:0/005> Now Writing.. Please wait about 2 minutes
<ID:0/005> Receive Response from boot-loader
<ID:0/005> FAIL!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

edit: when flashing the odex and the reset wat do you mean by using kies i've tried kies and cant figure out how to flash anything

Upvote 0
to use kies is simple run it as admin right for the pc and plug phone in with dev mode one and usb debugging let it detect phone.

1. Start Kies
2.Click Tools-> Firmware upgrade and initilazation
(you may need to be in download mode)

it might even tell you there is an update if there are any errors in the process and your not completely up and running try the ##SCRTN# followed by the ota self service activate. if those work kies should then be retried. if completed and your MD7 or MG2 stock recovery then i would have cs take you thur a RTN

Reactions: cory1992
Upvote 0
alright will give this a try
thanks

tried its a no go although the positive side is that my phone when in download mode shows official status and no flash count and in the about phone area the phone status is now normal so I think I will call VM and get an RTN done

just to clearify will this fix everything period or will this not fix my data sorry i have never done an RTN

Upvote 0
your best bet is cs at this point. just dont mention rooting or anything. focus on the problem. and what you tried. scrtn... battery pull and rebooting air plane mode on/off changing from lte to cdma and back. thats all i can think of.

RTN if done correctly is like you just pulled it out of the box.

Upvote 0
Final update on the VM process they had me enter in the RTN code and it didn't work... so they proceeded to use the built in factory reset, and that obviously didn't work so they told me my phone is defective and to take it back to best buy to get a new one HAHAHAHAHAHA

depending on how long it has been bestbuy will tell you to deal with samsung.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones