• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] New update

You just copy from /cache to your sdcard, then move to PC however you like. Thanks for posting, here's the copy I pulled in case there are bandwidth issues with anyone trying to download from either link:
1fa7a4e39714f2adf82d2ed4fdeeef35cbf9d9d5.USER_L300_SPT_MG5_to_ND4_Update_FWD.zip

I just glanced at the defconfig in the new kernel source, only thing that jumped out was vpn related, will let you guys know if I find anything.

Ah alright. That's exactly what I did :).

If you flash the update zip in twrp, it will most likely fail. If you have made changes to any system files, it will fail. If you have made changes to the build.prop, it will fail. Etc, etc.

The update zip as is will only work on a 100% stock Victory.

With most of the asserts removed, and the install recovery lines edited appropriately, you can flash on a rooted stock Victory.

You cannot run this update, even with modifications to the updater-script, on any phone that has any system apk modified (deodexed won't work, so Victorious cannot update directly from this).

Have not looked into flashing stock ROM, updating, and retaining root, but it shouldn't be too difficult with a couple lines added to the updater-script. Once that is accomplished, the entire package can be deodexed and played with as usual.

If you flash the update zip in twrp, it will most likely fail. If you have made changes to any system files, it will fail. If you have made changes to the build.prop, it will fail. Etc, etc.

The update zip as is will only work on a 100% stock Victory.

With most of the asserts removed, and the install recovery lines edited appropriately, you can flash on a rooted stock Victory.

You cannot run this update, even with modifications to the updater-script, on any phone that has any system apk modified (deodexed won't work, so Victorious cannot update directly from this).

Have not looked into flashing stock ROM, updating, and retaining root, but it shouldn't be too difficult with a couple lines added to the updater-script. Once that is accomplished, the entire package can be deodexed and played with as usual.

Thanks!

What permissions? Is this safe?

I used System Tuner (Android Tuner, Elixir and similar apps will also work) to unchecked a few permissions in Google Services Framework. They are under "System Update Settings", the "download" and "install" dialogs. No problems as of yet.

You can also install the Notify Clean module in Xposed Framework, which also does the job quite nicely. Just open it and select that notification to prevent it from coming up again in notifications.

Good to see ya Jerry! I was going to pull the update and upload it, but you guys beat me to it.

Looking forward to seeing if anything has changed that is of any consequence.

Maybe a new modified kernel is in order now that we have the new baseband in the wild. Still not in any hurry to update until we know exactly what has changed.

Back
Top Bottom