• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] [ROM] AdvancedStock7 11/17/2014 OVERCLOCKED+STABLE+BATTERY_LIFE!

I do however, plan on making an AdvancedStock8, which will be based on the v8. AdvancedStock7 will be able to update to that version when I release it, but that is going to take some time.

When viewing the Voice Search app in Play Store (before installing) Play Store reports this as being installed - no 'Open' Button.

Voice Search works fine after installing it (from a apk file on SD Card) until the next boot. Then Voice Search requires a reinstall.

------------

I'll test and see if it is an issue with the ROM.

I do however, plan on making an AdvancedStock8, which will be based on the v8. AdvancedStock7 will be able to update to that version when I release it, but that is going to take some time.
I'm not in a big hurry for v8. I was good with Firmware V6 - until I messed it up and decided might as well try your ROM and move up a step to v7.

------------

When viewing the Voice Search app in Play Store (before installing) Play Store reports this as being installed - no 'Open' Button.

Voice Search works fine after installing it (from a apk file on SD Card) until the next boot. Then Voice Search requires a reinstall.

------------

I know what the problem is now. I will fix it in version 15 of the ROM.

Also: Voice Search is a module for Android, and not an app, so there is no physical activity with it, there is however a layout for the Search.

Cool. What was the problem (like to know these things for future reference)?

Appreciate the quick troubleshooting.

------------

The Google Voice search that was installed in the unmodified Stock ROM for our phone is causing this issue, Here is how updating "built-in apps" work:

When you update an app (Example: Google Chrome) the update is installed into the user's data store (/data/app i believe) and this does NOT overwrite what is in /system/app. For some reason or another(which I cannot figure out yet) /system/app is reinstalled on reboot. This causes the update to get uninstalled. This also only happens on certain apps.(Mostly google apps is what I saw as I still have other updated system apps that keep the update after a reboot.) The unfortunate thing about this is that I cannot fully fix this issue as it seems to be different for every user. What I would do is remove VoiceSearch.apk from the "/system/app" folder and install it from google play and see if that fixes the issue.

The Google Voice search that was installed in the unmodified Stock ROM for our phone is causing this issue, Here is how updating "built-in apps" work:

What I would do is remove VoiceSearch.apk from the "/system/app" folder and install it from google play and see if that fixes the issue.

Copy that.

I don't see a 'VoiceSearch.apk', however, there is a VoiceSearchStub.apk. I deleted this from the /system/app folder and that seemed to fix the problem of not uninstalling the app after a reboot. I did a quick Google search on VoiceSearchStub. Didn't really find anything but some unintelligible comments and a whole lot of Chinese links (that can't be a good thing :confused:)

Not sure what this VoiceSearchStub.apk does but I've learned from my 30 plus years of computer/network troubleshooting - "if you fix something but don't know exactly why, don't hassle it. Move on - its fixed" :D

------------

Glad it worked!!! Keep me posted on how you like the rom!

Is this file (VoiceSearchStub.apk) in the ROM's installer zip? If so, maybe it can be removed in future version releases.

Also, after all the reboots I was doing on this last problem of VoiceSearch, I kept on forgetting to mention the notification for Init.d. Is there a way to disable the notification but keep the scripts? I believe I had this running on my v6 stock ROM and never saw this notification.

------------

The init.d is custom made by me for use with advancedstock rom only. it does not currently have a feature to disable notifications, but will in version 15 of advancedstock.

Yes i will also remove the VoiceSearchStub.apk :)

Please enjoy the rom!

The init.d is custom made by me for use with advancedstock rom only. it does not currently have a feature to disable notifications, but will in version 15 of advancedstock.

Yes i will also remove the VoiceSearchStub.apk :)

Please enjoy the rom!

Copy that.

Enjoying the faster speed and responsiveness. Don't even need SetCPU like I did on previous ROM.

------------

Hey! I'm new here, but I think I have read pretty much all the more recent threads. I am still missing something, maybe. Using these posts, I've managed to successfully root and install AdvancedStock7 version 14, in one try! Good job, Sandix and everyone involved!

My problem is this: I have a 32gb sd card because of the obvious memory issues on this phone. I have it AParted in half, fat32 in first, ext2 in second. The sd swap looks like it works. sdcard0 (internal) shows 15gb free, external_SD shows about 400mb free. Yet, I can't install any more apps due to "insufficient storage space" What am I doing wrong?

PS. Something interesting that I thought you should know: my USB connection type had to be set to "charge only" in order for pc side ADB stuff would detect and push files.. It took me hours to figure that out. All the other literature says to switch between MTP and PTP, which didn't work for me other than to manually explore the file system.

At this time, there is no current way to get apps to completely install to the sdcard. Please see my earlier post about how sdcsrd swapper works. :)

Sorry that you are habing issues.

You should try links2SD if you meed the apps to install to sd card. But ive never had good luck with that app.

I am using link2sd and it seems to work. That is why I have 400mb left according to the Internal Storage, yet I cannot install Google Maps..

I am using link2sd and it seems to work. That is why I have 400mb left according to the Internal Storage, yet I cannot install Google Maps..

I do apologize, I do not use Links2SD, so I am not to sure on how it works.

You can however find the Links2SD thread. They will be able to answer that question.

Version 15 of AdvancedStock ROM is OUT! OpenOTA users may download this directly from their phones! Enjoy! Please report any bugs / concerns / questions / comments here on the forums/thread!

AdvancedStock7 - Version 15 (Address's google Voice search bugs, updated apps, and made the ROM even SMALLER)

Yes, if you use the OpenOTA app read the description.

Pros to dirty install: Keep settings and apps.

Pros to clean install: More space to install apps. (about 9MB more)

The problem I have with any Messaging app is the Avatar for me is not displayed in a message conversation list. I've tried half dozen or more apps that have this function and none of them display my Avatar. The Avatars for other contacts display correctly.

This was never a problem with the rooted stock ROM I was running prior to installing AdvancedStock7.

------------

Okay, the storage problem has gotten worse.. I have uninstalled Link2SD and disabled Sdcard swapper and it shows that I still have 268mb of space available until I go to download something that is only 3mb and it says "insufficient space available". I even uninstalled a 56mb game and tried again, still thinks insufficient space.. What is going on?

Linka2SD and adcard swapper are NOT COMPATIBLE. Factory data reset and then use ONLY SDCARD SWAPPER OR LINKS2SD

Not sure what's happening to the backup process using CWM but I'm forced to start from scratch again. I flashed AdvancedStock7 and it was having problems with HoloTheme Xposted Module so decide to restore backup. Same problem as a few days ago. Restore gets to the data and error's out and leaves me with a soft bricked phone.

This is getting old.

------------

Back
Top Bottom