• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] Victory only have 2 roms really???,

From a software view having jelly bean pretty much grants us a pass on most if not all major google app updates for the next year or so. I can't say I'm in no rush for anyone to make anything outrageous, If cm10 had it's camera working I'd probably use that for the life of my phone simply because touchwiz design is too nature focused and i feel it takes up space.

You could always install one of the 3rd party launchers and freeze or remove the touchwiz launcher. There are some nice, lean Jellybean and KitKat launchers.

Kitkat would be nice to have and the victory is still technically in the 18 month limit for upgrades and the memory freed up would be welcome but I'm not sure Samsung has it in em to do another upgrade spree like last year. Maybe one of our determined guys here will pull it off but can't say it's something I feel it just outright needs so much as it's a welcome change.

As of now the only VM phone that is getting an official KitKat update is the Desire. VM is not quick to release update so it's a surprise to see them update the Desire, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on the Victory to get updated.

You could always install one of the 3rd party launchers and freeze or remove the touchwiz launcher. There are some nice, lean Jellybean and KitKat launchers.

As of now the only VM phone that is getting an official KitKat update is the Desire. VM is not quick to release update so it's a surprise to see them update the Desire, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on the Victory to get updated.

Ah I forgot to say I was using nova launcher prime as well and it's kitkat look is nice:), but that was more from a fresh install point.

Agreed. I'm not expecting it at all honestly, but I do expect virgin to keep it's 4g line at least somewhat relevant in updates so I expect at the least for the F3 and the Victory to receive at least 1 more update however it probably won't be kitkat. The desire is a given since it's honestly the newest and slots just under the S3. The S3 being on 4.3 as of recent is a coin toss since it follows sprints version to the T.

Virgin has been slightly better about updates especially on samsung's end, the biggest surprise out of them being when the reverb got 4.1.

But yeah, no air being held in my lungs over this.:D

I just bought my galaxy last week while it was 80$ and coming from a 2.3 optimus elite it was a huge upgrade for me. Of course the itch hit me and I immediately got it rooted and gave conquest a shot. Great stuff but I reverted back to stock and got link2sd working and I been a happy camper since. Granted there isn't a lot of stuff going on here but the victory in it's own right is a perfectly great running phone, It honestly doesn't need much else. Get root, handle that memory issue, delete the bloat, Smooth sailing.

From a software view having jelly bean pretty much grants us a pass on most if not all major google app updates for the next year or so. I can't say I'm in no rush for anyone to make anything outrageous, If cm10 had it's camera working I'd probably use that for the life of my phone simply because touchwiz design is too nature focused and i feel it takes up space.

Kitkat would be nice to have and the victory is still technically in the 18 month limit for upgrades and the memory freed up would be welcome but I'm not sure Samsung has it in em to do another upgrade spree like last year. Maybe one of our determined guys here will pull it off but can't say it's something I feel it just outright needs so much as it's a welcome change.

Sorry if I rambled here it was just my honest opinion. Personally I'm just happy I can play Asphalt 7 and Need for speed most wanted on the thing. Got those games a year ago on sale and never thought i'd get to play em.

Well, there's no telling if the Victory will get an official KitKat update, but... it seems pretty likely that the S3 will. Now our phone isn't the S3, but you might say they are like cousins. So if this article here is accurate: Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update to Arrive by the End of March, Says Insider then we could potentially start working on a custom KitKat for the victory using the S3 release as a starting point.

Right now my focus is still on learning as much as I can to get ready for any help I might be in march when/if that release drops... So far I'm just tinkering with CM10, and don't have anything new to report. Still though, it's fun to tinker, even if I haven't found that eureka moment...yet!

Well, there's no telling if the Victory will get an official KitKat update, but... it seems pretty likely that the S3 will. Now our phone isn't the S3, but you might say they are like cousins. So if this article here is accurate: Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update to Arrive by the End of March, Says Insider then we could potentially start working on a custom KitKat for the victory using the S3 release as a starting point.

Right now my focus is still on learning as much as I can to get ready for any help I might be in march when/if that release drops... So far I'm just tinkering with CM10, and don't have anything new to report. Still though, it's fun to tinker, even if I haven't found that eureka moment...yet!

Good point. I'm looking at it similar in the way samsung did last year when over 20 of their phones suddenly jumped to jelly bean. If the note 2 and the S3 did get kitkat samsung would probably slide down over to a majority of their 2013 phones running the touchwiz nature ui. It's becoming increasingly easier for updates to roll out, and it's true we could just as easily adapt from the one the s3 will get. Once a stable cm11 is out that opes more doors for people to play with. This is only a pipe dream for the moment however.

As for cm 10 it's almost perfect with exception to its few quirks and the camera of course. Strangely it reminds me of the what I saw happen with my galaxy s 4g something about the cameras just doesn't want to play nice. eventually most figure out the rear camera but the front just wants to be stubborn.

keep in mind that the Virgin Mobile S3 is not the same chips as the others

The fact taht the CPU, mainboard, etc. are completely different may mean the VM Galaxy S3 won't ever get the KK4.4 setup. Time will tell.

The gs3 mini could have the same hardware but would it really be easy to port the same Roms????

It's never 'easy' but it always helps to have some points of reference. Where there is a will there is a way... We are just hoping that samsung and virgin make it easier on us. Heck it would be nice if they showed our phone some love and gave us the update... we'll have to wait and see!

There is activity for the GS3 mini and CM11 (kitkat)... I'm looking into where to pull some of the repositories and take a look closer at porting it. The hardware is very similar and aside from having more internal memory it seems pretty spot on spec wise.

Here's a link to their new version posted today, they don't seem to have direct links to their github sources, but I'm diggin around to see if I can locate them.
http://maclaw.pl/2014/02/01/release-cyanogenmod-11-0-s3-mini-57/

Small thing that catches me about the gs3 mini was this the normal GSM versions were dual core NovaThor U8420 at 1GHz this also applied to the galaxy exhibit (t-mobiles modified version with a slight smaller screen) now this is the funny part.

Verizons version of the gs3 mini runs a 1.2Ghz dual core (not specified on its type) however I understand that may be connected to verizons lte requirements possibly, theirs has 4.2 Jelly bean.

This may all be kinda irrelevant but I just found it really curious. If the verizon version was running the same chipset as ours or similar would that make it easier to pull resources from? Maybe even its 4.2?

Small thing that catches me about the gs3 mini was this the normal GSM versions were dual core NovaThor U8420 at 1GHz this also applied to the galaxy exhibit (t-mobiles modified version with a slight smaller screen) now this is the funny part.

Verizons version of the gs3 mini runs a 1.2Ghz dual core (not specified on its type) however I understand that may be connected to verizons lte requirements possibly, theirs has 4.2 Jelly bean.

This may all be kinda irrelevant but I just found it really curious. If the verizon version was running the same chipset as ours or similar would that make it easier to pull resources from? Maybe even its 4.2?

I'm looking at the LTE ones specifically, and officially it runs 4.2...
but the CM 11 they have working is based on 4.4.
I think you are right though, because the ones supported in the link I gave are with the novathor chipset. Don't know how I missed that.

Edit: I can't find any supported cm11 builds for our specific chipset, but I think if we give it some time we might have some luck. We just need to wait for kitkat to roll out on the various other phones this year and see where we stand. I would be surprised if our LTE chipset gets overlooked entirely.

Edit 2: I did find this one for the Droid incredible lte 'fireball' CyanogenMod Downloads
It uses a different display type and resolution, but the chipset is the right one
Here's the link to the nightlies which should be more updated: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=fireball&type=nightly
Does anyone know where to get the sources?

I'm looking at the LTE ones specifically, and officially it runs 4.2...
but the CM 11 they have working is based on 4.4.
I think you are right though, because the ones supported in the link I gave are with the novathor chipset. Don't know how I missed that.

Edit: I can't find any supported cm11 builds for our specific chipset, but I think if we give it some time we might have some luck. We just need to wait for kitkat to roll out on the various other phones this year and see where we stand. I would be surprised if our LTE chipset gets overlooked entirely.

Edit 2: I did find this one for the Droid incredible lte 'fireball' CyanogenMod Downloads
It uses a different display type and resolution, but the chipset is the right one
Here's the link to the nightlies which should be more updated: CyanogenMod Downloads
Does anyone know where to get the sources?

https://github.com/Cyanogenmod

Search on Github isn't working for me atm. You'd be looking for android_device tree for the device.

EDIT: I just had to log in.
https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_htc_fireball

So what does that mean if we put that rom on from fireBall it will work on victory with different resolution???????

It might not work at all... Most likely its going to take a lot of tweaking and merging files/configs to get it working properly.

I am going to see if I can get my hands on a second victory when I get paid... I really don't want to chance anything since I need my phone on a daily basis.

If anyone else has an extra victory they want to try it on, or are feeling brave enough to start testing things and configuring, you are welcome to it (just don't get mad if you brick your device because you don't know what you are doing; YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!). Here is the github for the fireball cm11 tree: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_htc_fireball/tree/cm-11.0

We should probably start a new thread, I will be doing this as soon as I get a second victory for testing purposes.

If you decide to build that tree and try it out (or use the officially built nightly), it probably will have issues and need lots of work to port it... as far as I understand it, CWM will be able to flash it, but our version of TWRP won't. Odin should be able to flash it, and we do have our originals as backup in case something goes wrong.
I would play it safe and not flash it on your main device. So don't rush into anything, its surely going to need some work. Patience is a virtue at this point.

Back
Top Bottom