• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Weird Public vs Boost N861

smartmanvartan

Android Expert
So I bought a mother board for a boost N861 a month back because of a screen issue on my N861 that had me switch back to my N860 because it was so annoying. Now I could only find Boost mobile N861 motherboards but i figured since i have the stock recovery and the stock ROM for Public(That contains the bootloaders and radio) that I could just turn it into a PMI version(not gonna get into the meid but you know where I'm going with this)

IMG_20131211_123118_zpsff378c72.jpg

Now... the motherboards are identical except for the front facing camera... which is weird... so I flash the PMI recovery on the phone then I flash the stock ROM for Public. I select reboot system in the recovery and nothingness... the phone wont turn on or charge or anything.. All i get is dload in my device manager... so I figured there must be one of the other partitions like cefs or carrier that aren't included in the PMI stock ROM and I purchase another Boost motherboard(because a PMI motherboard just isn't available anywhere) and this time I flash all partitions and again the phone dies and wont turn back on... now I'm beginning to think that our phones are actually different on a hardware level but I've done the opposite situation before without any issues... I have flashed the boost mobile bootloaders on my public mobile motherboard and used the Boost Mobile Online updating tool and my phone worked fine... I mean it didn't connect to the Public Mobile towers but that is because we have different radio configurations... And on the N860 I've done conversion in both ways and have never had any issues... I'm stumped now i have two mother boards that are useless( QHSUSB_DLOAD).. any thoughts?

WEIRDDDDDDDDD. Why would they even change the hardware camera's? who knows well else is different that the human eye cant even make out. why'd you risk flashing those lol? Not sure why the recovery would stop if from booting. it should at least boot to the OS regardless of the recovery thats installed since the bootloader is unlocked.

when flashing the public mobile stock rom, you also flash the public mobile version of the bootloaders.... now I flashed the boost mobile bootloaders on a public one with out any issues but the other way around bricked my phone... that is what is so weird... and also why i would risk it...

When i first got the sequent and started deving for thr PMI version i flashed the boost mobile B07 partitons and used the online updating tool to get the B09 update package and the phone worked just fine... i then reflashed the PMI partitions and my phone was back to normal. But i always had a dedinition problem because the motherboard i have has a loose lcd connector... so thats why i was looking to change my motherboard... but when i flashed the public mobile partitions on the new board intended for the boost mobile sequent, thats when it bricked... so yes i flashed the kernel and every other partition... its weird that it will go one way but not the other... and when i was using the boost mobile software on my public mobile board, it worked just fine... even the front facing camera worked even tho they are phisically different they must be the same internally.. maybe the one on our board is a newer revision... the whole thing has me stumped... and curious... and since i am naturally curious and stubborn, i may just buy an other board ...:p

Back
Top Bottom