• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root what is ilivid?

This is more of a question for Ocn, but I thought Evo's had issues with 32GB cards???
Or was is the class of card???

Nandroid backups should take no longer than 10 minutes...tops ;)

Edit: as far as those cards you linked, you need a micro sd card...those are too big.

Well, after spending a few weeks with my rooted phone:
I tried several of the roms. Really liked the ICS, but they all kept crashing on me. Went back to stock Gingerbread and it works fine.
While ICS kept unloading my 32 GB Class 10 card (would recognize it at first, then disable it), Gingerbread likes it just fine.
Never got the backup function to work, not sure why.
Currently downloading apps and getting my fat fingers used to the tiny keyboard.

Well, after spending a few weeks with my rooted phone:
I tried several of the roms. Really liked the ICS, but they all kept crashing on me. Went back to stock Gingerbread and it works fine.
While ICS kept unloading my 32 GB Class 10 card (would recognize it at first, then disable it), Gingerbread likes it just fine.
Never got the backup function to work, not sure why.
Currently downloading apps and getting my fat fingers used to the tiny keyboard.
Hmmm, I can't comment on the ICS roms as I have not tried any on that device.
I basically ran Mik and Decks roms after I rooted :p I'm not so much of a flash-a-holic as I am a tweaker of what I have :)

I tried the ones that were in the recommended list, and they just kept crashing.
A tiny bit disappointed, but on the plus side I am using a SD card that was just languishing in a drawer, which is a good thing.
I appreciate your assistance in getting me going.
I do have one final question: what do I put on the card other than apps? I have around 28 GB of space just sitting there, and several of the apps would not move over.

I tried the ones that were in the recommended list, and they just kept crashing.
A tiny bit disappointed, but on the plus side I am using a SD card that was just languishing in a drawer, which is a good thing.
I appreciate your assistance in getting me going.
I do have one final question: what do I put on the card other than apps? I have around 28 GB of space just sitting there, and several of the apps would not move over.

What GB rom are you on? There are some apps that cannot be moved or some apps not recommended to move to sd. Some apps that have widgets should not moved to the sd card or the widgets will not function properly.

How are you moving them?
I think we may have discussed the option of partitioning the card so apps can run from the ext-3 partition. However, the kernel and/or the rom has to support that function.

If you are asking what else to put on the sd card besides apps? Besides pictures/music/documents etc, not much more in the /system can be moved there save for dalvik cache. (which I had difficulty doing, but managed to succeed in doing so) :)

I am running 2.3.5, wth kernel version 2.6.35.10-g4b48446.
I just go into settings, select Applications/Manage Applications. Some have Move to SD Card selectable, some do not.
It reports that I have about 68 MB available, 358 MB used.
This is a bit confusing, b/c Memory Booster Lite reports 211 used, 193 free.

We haven't discussed partitioning the card yet, but I did see the option listed in one of the bootloader's menus.
Although I did not purchase it as a game player, i am sure I will load some into them.
I have also not begun to remove all the apps that I will never use, so that will free up a smal portion of RAM.

Even more, though, I was wondering what folk did with such a large card when the on-board RAM was so small.
I haven't shot any pictures or videos yet. Are you saying that is where those apps place them?

I am running 2.3.5, wth kernel version 2.6.35.10-g4b48446.
I just go into settings, select Applications/Manage Applications. Some have Move to SD Card selectable, some do not.
It reports that I have about 68 MB available, 358 MB used.

We haven't discussed partitioning the card yet, but I did see the option listed in one of the bootloader's menus.
Although I did not purchase it as a game player, i am sure I will load some into them.
I have also not begun to remove all the apps that I will never use, so that will free up a smal portion of RAM.

Even more, though, I was wondering what folk did with such a large card when the on-board RAM was so small.
I haven't shot any pictures or videos yet. Are you saying that is where those apps place them?

I think RAM is different than storage space :confused:

But in any case, I believe in whatever camera app you use, you may have the option of where to store the pics/videos...either internal or external. If you choose external, then your 32GB card is plenty big. :)

...It reports that I have about 68 MB available, 358 MB used.

I'm a little confused about that..is that what it reports the card is?

I think RAM is different than storage space :confused:
Sure it is. When I was teaching computer courses, I compared storage (HDD at the time) to the garage or shed, and RAM as getting your stuff out of the garage to use it.

But in any case, I believe in whatever camera app you use, you may have the option of where to store the pics/videos...either internal or external. If you choose external, then your 32GB card is plenty big. :)
Of course. But I was dismayed that the ROM was so low when I had not loaded anything but the basics to this point.

I'm a little confused about that..is that what it reports the card is?
No,it calls it internal storage. The SD card still has over 28GB free.
I'll have to look into partitioning if it is supported.

Nice article.

I was trying to download an app today and it told me I did not have enough memory. Not sure why; too busy getting this thing setup to investigate any further as it was not an essential app. Just a nice to have.

It only has 1GB ROM, and I do plan on loading it with some hi-rez games when I am done. Hence the desire to move as much as possible to the card.
One reason I selected it was for the nice sized display. I started one game up this evening and it looked pretty good.

Went back through the revised rooting guide, and I did partition the card. So I guess I am done. Not sure where all the apps I am downloading are going, though. I can only assume the internal ROM (most certainly flash).
Once again, thanks for your help.

Reloaded that Mike suggested is a great rom though pretty much runs flawlessly. If you want to try a different JB rom that might be a little less buggy then take a look at the Strike rom which is under staff pics in the rom section Mike sent you a link to.

Whatever rom you pick give if a few day to settle in before passing judgement. This also goes for a change in kernels.
Well biker57, I took your advice. I ran the stock 2.3.5 GB for a while, but I was disappointed that the O/S only left me with less than 90 MB internal flash after installation. So I first tried Mik and it left me with over 280 MB internal flash free. So I have made the move to the Strike rom, which is ICS 4.04 and I could not be happier. I have over 300 MB internal flash after installation, plus I have moved up to a more current O/S.
Of course, learning a new O/S is always interesting, but it is not a huge leap like learning GB for the first time. :D

Back
Top Bottom