• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What's the point of larger SD cards if...?

rgs

What's the point of 8 gig or 16 gig SD cards if, even with custom ROMs, you can only get another 512 megs for apps (or maybe a gig with data2ext)?
Richard

1 GB is easily enough.

As the point of the rest of the space, good to keep all your back ups on the fly.

Also, music, music, video, music, music and not forgetting music.

What's the point of 8 gig or 16 gig SD cards if, even with custom ROMs, you can only get another 512 megs for apps (or maybe a gig with data2ext)?
Richard

Who really need a a gig for just apps? I have 216 'user apps' at the mo and it takes up less than half a gb.

Plus with data2ext you can have up to 2gb :eek:

Bigger sd cards are more for storing your mucic, photos, videos, documents etc

I hope this an appropriate thread to mention my own KitKat SD card experience.

Having purchased an Android KitKat tablet approx 4 months ago, I quickly found that I couldn't write (paste) to my sd card or usb stick. Both of which were 32Gb - formatted as Fat32 (although I think NTFS gave the same result?).

(I assume that this is related KitKat sd card issue that generating much comment on forums)

However, what I found interesting is that using EXFAT to format, fixes the problem - I can write to my cards again!

So why do I need to 'root' my tablet or use other utilities etc, when EXFAT seems to do the job.

Or am I over simplifying the issue (or solution). And why haven't I seen this mentioned elsewhere??

Thanks for any comments.

Your card may have been screwed up and fixed by the format.

KitKat does not restrict writing to the sd card.

Some apps don't support it because of the permission changes, and that's led to the wonderful Internet myth that you can't write to an SD card on KitKat.

That's just not true.

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for your reply.

My experience is definitely as stated. My KitKat tablet would not write to the sd card or a usb stick if they were formatted as Fat32. I tried this with a simple copy and paste on a PDF file.
Reformatting to ExFat overcame this. I have replicated this a few times to make sure.

Note. The tablet DOES recognise the stick/card in Fat32 (no mount errors) - but it only writes if formatted as ExFat.

Then your tablet isn't right or your SD cards are odd.

The standard is to mount sd cards as vFAT, and the built-in format on the tablet ought not have ever formatted a large sd card as FAT32.

What tablet, what size card, and did the tablet format it as FAT32?

Thanks. It's a generic tablet (called CT1000, Android 4.4). The cards, sticks in question are 32Gb, originally formatted as Fat32 from new - then again on a windows PC. BTW I can't see an option to format on the tablet, should there be one.

I am not seeing this as a problem. ExFat works absolutely fine (which I also use on PCs). The only reason I am raising it is because I just bought another usb stick (Fat32) and the same thing happened, so it reminded me of the 'issue'. Plus the fact, if it is a bug with the tablet, then it is quite unique.

Back
Top Bottom