• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What's the point of larger SD cards if...?

What's the point of 8 gig or 16 gig SD cards if, even with custom ROMs, you can only get another 512 megs for apps (or maybe a gig with data2ext)?
Richard

Who really need a a gig for just apps? I have 216 'user apps' at the mo and it takes up less than half a gb.

Plus with data2ext you can have up to 2gb :eek:

Bigger sd cards are more for storing your mucic, photos, videos, documents etc

Upvote 0
I hope this an appropriate thread to mention my own KitKat SD card experience.

Having purchased an Android KitKat tablet approx 4 months ago, I quickly found that I couldn't write (paste) to my sd card or usb stick. Both of which were 32Gb - formatted as Fat32 (although I think NTFS gave the same result?).

(I assume that this is related KitKat sd card issue that generating much comment on forums)

However, what I found interesting is that using EXFAT to format, fixes the problem - I can write to my cards again!

So why do I need to 'root' my tablet or use other utilities etc, when EXFAT seems to do the job.

Or am I over simplifying the issue (or solution). And why haven't I seen this mentioned elsewhere??

Thanks for any comments.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply.

My experience is definitely as stated. My KitKat tablet would not write to the sd card or a usb stick if they were formatted as Fat32. I tried this with a simple copy and paste on a PDF file.
Reformatting to ExFat overcame this. I have replicated this a few times to make sure.

Note. The tablet DOES recognise the stick/card in Fat32 (no mount errors) - but it only writes if formatted as ExFat.

Upvote 0
Thanks. It's a generic tablet (called CT1000, Android 4.4). The cards, sticks in question are 32Gb, originally formatted as Fat32 from new - then again on a windows PC. BTW I can't see an option to format on the tablet, should there be one.

I am not seeing this as a problem. ExFat works absolutely fine (which I also use on PCs). The only reason I am raising it is because I just bought another usb stick (Fat32) and the same thing happened, so it reminded me of the 'issue'. Plus the fact, if it is a bug with the tablet, then it is quite unique.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Good information, thanks!

The bug on the tablet is huge - it doesn't include an SD card format.

That's huge because older Windows (still in use, some things never die (and that's not a complaint)) simply won't format an SD card properly no matter what you choose.

Glad you got it sorted.

Also worth noting -

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones