• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's going to run out & grab their Nexus 10 tonight from Walmart?

I couldn't find any physical stores selling the nexus 10, so I called google play support # and was told that google playstore was only place that would be selling it.

So ended up ordering the 16gb one from them, online.

Interesting. I believe there were reports from various vendors (including via Walmart's twitter feed), indicating that they were, in fact, going to be carrying them.

Honestly, it would be a big loss for Google to NOT have these on retail shelves before the Thanksgiving holiday. This is a big buying season for the upcoming holidays, and that would be a lot of lost revenue.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I believe there were reports from various vendors (including via Walmart's twitter feed), indicating that they were, in fact, going to be carrying them.

Honestly, it would be a big loss for Google to NOT have these on retail shelves before the Thanksgiving holiday. This is a big buying season for the upcoming holidays, and that would be a lot of lost revenue.

It would be very smart to get them out there for Black Friday shoppers....put it next to the i*ad for a great showdown. They might not have been thinking far enough ahead if they are sold out online though.

Upvote 0
It would be very smart to get them out there for Black Friday shoppers....put it next to the i*ad for a great showdown. They might not have been thinking far enough ahead if they are sold out online though.

A perceived shortage creates more demand though, if they play it smart and have a timely release of more stock. If they try to "slow play" it, they'll get burned by other available tabs.

Upvote 0
A perceived shortage creates more demand though, if they play it smart and have a timely release of more stock. If they try to "slow play" it, they'll get burned by other available tabs.
Shortages never create demand. Ever.

I highly doubt Google wants shortages. This is a huge gaff by them as they underestimated demand and weren't able to load the channel appropriately.

Upvote 0
Demand no. Jacked up prices on eBay, yes.

Yo Antimony,
What's up.

Yeah, I saw that today as well. People are stupid. Why would you pay $500 for a Nexus 10 16GB model when you can buy it right now for $399 on the Play Store, much less the $750 people are asking for the 32GB model.

I'm on the fence with the 16GB or 32GB model myself. I want the 32, but didn't think they were going to go that fast. Think I'll hold off until some more reviews start pouring in. I think it's ridiculous to pay an extra $100 for 16GB of memory. But we'll see. $399 is one heck of a price point for the 16GB model.

Upvote 0
Shortages never create demand. Ever.

I highly doubt Google wants shortages. This is a huge gaff by them as they underestimated demand and weren't able to load the channel appropriately.

It's similar to, say, creating a limited amount of a type of wine, and pricing it higher than perhaps the quality deserves. Buyers know there's only so much, and it's priced like a "premium" wine, so they figure it must be good and buy it. I forget what the economic theory behind that is called.

Upvote 0
It's similar to, say, creating a limited amount of a type of wine, and pricing it higher than perhaps the quality deserves. Buyers know there's only so much, and it's priced like a "premium" wine, so they figure it must be good and buy it. I forget what the economic theory behind that is called.

Here is an illustration why demand doesn't increase because of low supply:
images

What we are talking about is not a shift in demand because the supply is low, but a shift in PRICE because supply is low. If you shift the quantity line to the left of the equilibrium point shown above, the point where the quantity line intersects the demand curve is at a higher price. That is what occurs during product launches with short supply, and the shorter the supply, the further left the quantity line goes, the higher the price where it intersects the SAME demand curve. No change in demand because of short supply, just a change in price. :)

Reactions: woj666
Upvote 0
Here is an illustration why demand doesn't increase because of low supply:
images

What we are talking about is not a shift in demand because the supply is low, but a shift in PRICE because supply is low. If you shift the quantity line to the left of the equilibrium point shown above, the point where the quantity line intersects the demand curve is at a higher price. That is what occurs during product launches with short supply, and the shorter the supply, the further left the quantity line goes, the higher the price where it intersects the SAME demand curve. No change in demand because of short supply, just a change in price. :)

In a vacuum, yes. I agree with equilibrium pricing

Im talking about the potential psychological effect of a shortage of a perceived "hot" device.

Upvote 0
I certainly do not want to come across as arrogant and do not want to bash anyone...........

All charts aside, all sales versus supply aside..........I really have a terrible bad taste in my mouth after the Google debacle. For some reason, i just thought Google would be immune to this type of crap?

I honestly will most likely not purchase anything from them in the future.

Sorry, but Google has let us all down in a BIG way. Hell, they wont even tell us if and when they expect some restocking!!!!!

PS............for those at fault, they need to find other employment. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
I certainly do not want to come across as arrogant and do not want to bash anyone...........

All charts aside, all sales versus supply aside..........I really have a terrible bad taste in my mouth after the Google debacle. For some reason, i just thought Google would be immune to this type of crap?

Sorry, but Google has let us all down in a BIG way. Hell, they wont even tell us if and when they expect some restocking!!!!!

PS............for those at fault, they need to find other employment. Just my opinion.

Google is not the first company to have this kind of problem. Granted, I expect a little more from them since making sure that they offer services on the internet. And the first priority is to make sure that the system's downtime is kept to a minimum. Did they underestimate the demand? I think that is a definite yes. But to go as far as to hold that grudge that I will not biy anything from them in the future is a bit much in my opinion. Have there been no other sites that have had this ordering issue? Maybe they do not want to put out a "tentative" date for restocking' they want to put out a definite date. And a date might be coming after they sort out the other issue with having oversold the Nexus 4. Did they make mistakes? Yes, but they still offer a far better product and service than our "fruity" friends.

Upvote 0
Google is not the first company to have this kind of problem. Granted, I expect a little more from them since making sure that they offer services on the internet. And the first priority is to make sure that the system's downtime is kept to a minimum. Did they underestimate the demand? I think that is a definite yes. But to go as far as to hold that grudge that I will not biy anything from them in the future is a bit much in my opinion. Have there been no other sites that have had this ordering issue? Maybe they do not want to put out a "tentative" date for restocking' they want to put out a definite date. And a date might be coming after they sort out the other issue with having oversold the Nexus 4. Did they make mistakes? Yes, but they still offer a far better product and service than our "fruity" friends.

Definitely not boycotting Google products but I share lennydude's disappointment with Google here. They show so much ingenuity in other arenas that it blows my mind that they can't bring a product to market effectively... it's not like it's there first launch...

Upvote 0
Definitely not boycotting Google products but I share lennydude's disappointment with Google here. They show so much ingenuity in other arenas that it blows my mind that they can't bring a product to market effectively... it's not like it's there first launch...

You are right. I think that part of it is from growing to big to fast. They are constantly trying to push the envelope and I think that sometimes they under estimate their consumer base. Kind of like Pearl Jam trying to take on TicketB@$+@rd....great idea but took them a while to get it right.

Upvote 0

Tell you what.
Next time you make millions of products and take all the risk that you'll sell them all, then you can legitimately complain. Of course you have to right to complain at any time, just realize it might not be justified. See the fate of the Playbook for what happens when a company takes too much risk.

Apple basically sells out all it's products on launch day. I remember Motorola selling out the Droid X on opening day. Same with HTC as the Incredible sold out before that. Samsung SII sold out as well.

So I can't buy from Google, HTC, Motorola, Apple or Samsung now. Who's left. Perhaps I can find a Blackberry on the shelf somewhere.

I don't like the situation any more than you, but boycotting over it. Seems a little over the top.

Reactions: lennydude
Upvote 0
Just an example of a early morning rant prior to having my big cup of java.

You guys are 100% correct............no need to boycott them.............just be displeased with the way things happened. Over the top and i apologize !

Not a problem, that is why we are here...to help our community brothers (and sisters).:D. I am the same way in the morning without a cup of coffee!

Upvote 0
So... went to WalMart this evening and of course no N10... BUT, there was at least a label with the name, price, and SKU on it by the tablet case. I guess that's an improvement that its at least in the system now (even if not on the shelf).

I ended up picking up a 32gb N7 to tide me over lol... I had sold my infinity & have been going nuts without a tablet. *grin*. I'm really impressed with the N7 thus far... moreso than I expected. The 7" form factor is very nice to hold and use from a vertical layout (closer to a phone experience, which I guess the N10 will get somewhat even in horizontal mode).

What drives me nuts is that the Walmarts I have been to just seem so apathetic about the whole thing (didn't even know what it was or anything about it really).

Sigh. Regardless, I'll be enjoying my N7. I figured with the extended holiday return period out into January it wasn't much of a risk (albeit a little morally grey when you buy something you rather intend to return at some point). :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones