• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Why does Anthrax sound so good?

I may try this. The init.d scripts are in system/etc right? What about the post boot? Is that in the same place?

Also, upon reflecting on this event, I think instead of the phone turning off, it may have gone into a sleep mode that I couldn't get it out of. I recall, when I pulled the battery, I heard the bluetooth speaker I was listening to beep which I believe indicates my device disconnected. If this is the case, then it didn't reboot, it just had an issue going to sleep. Can the phone "sleep" while music is playing?

This may point to a screen off frequency issue, or something else. It could also be related to bluetooth I suppose as I was streaming audio the whole time I had issueThen do the same for the file /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

You may have to clear cache in recovery as well.
/system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

Upvote 0
I may try this. The init.d scripts are in system/etc right? What about the post boot? Is that in the same place?

Also, upon reflecting on this event, I think instead of the phone turning off, it may have gone into a sleep mode that I couldn't get it out of. I recall, when I pulled the battery, I heard the bluetooth speaker I was listening to beep which I believe indicates my device disconnected. If this is the case, then it didn't reboot, it just had an issue going to sleep. Can the phone "sleep" while music is playing?

This may point to a screen off frequency issue, or something else. It could also be related to bluetooth I suppose as I was streaming audio the whole time I had issue

Add .bak to the end of all the files in /system/etc/init.d except 99Anthrax

Then do the same for the file /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

Upvote 0
Add .bak to the end of all the files in /system/etc/init.d except 99Anthrax

Then do the same for the file /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

As of now, I am running Buttered Toast, so my file names may change when I install Anthrax again...but just to be sure I am on the right track, I'll ask some questions on my current system that may carry over to my system with Anthrax.

I only have one file with init.d. I have a bunch of other files that begin with init, this is all of them:

init.goldfish.sh
init.post_boot.sh
init.qcom.bt.sh
init.qcom.coex.sh
init.qcom.fm.sh
init.qcom.post_boot.sh
init.qcom.sdio.sh
init.qcom.wifi.sh

In that same etc folder, I have other files, but you aren't talking about any of them right? Just the ones that begin with "init"? Also to clarify, are you suggesting that I add ".bak" to all the files beginning with "init" or just the "init.d" and "init.qcom.post_boot.sh"? What about "init.post_boot.sh" without the "qcom"?

Finally, when I'm done, will the files look like this

init.d.bak
init.qcom.post_boot.sh.bak

EDIT:

OK, I just realized that init.d is a folder, not a file. All the ones ending with .sh are files though...so to clear things up some more...and I changing the folder name to init.d.bak, or opening that folder, and then changing each entry in that folder to have the .bak extension? If I am to open the folder, and rename the contents...do I also change the folder name to init.d.bak?

Upvote 0
As of now, I am running Buttered Toast, so my file names may change when I install Anthrax again...but just to be sure I am on the right track, I'll ask some questions on my current system that may carry over to my system with Anthrax.

I only have one file with init.d. I have a bunch of other files that begin with init, this is all of them:

init.goldfish.sh
init.post_boot.sh
init.qcom.bt.sh
init.qcom.coex.sh
init.qcom.fm.sh
init.qcom.post_boot.sh
init.qcom.sdio.sh
init.qcom.wifi.sh

In that same etc folder, I have other files, but you aren't talking about any of them right? Just the ones that begin with "init"? Also to clarify, are you suggesting that I add ".bak" to all the files beginning with "init" or just the "init.d" and "init.qcom.post_boot.sh"? What about "init.post_boot.sh" without the "qcom"?

Finally, when I'm done, will the files look like this

init.d.bak
init.qcom.post_boot.sh.bak

EDIT:

OK, I just realized that init.d is a folder, not a file. All the ones ending with .sh are files though...so to clear things up some more...and I changing the folder name to init.d.bak, or opening that folder, and then changing each entry in that folder to have the .bak extension? If I am to open the folder, and rename the contents...do I also change the folder name to init.d.bak?

Add .bak to the files inside the int.d folder. And .bak to the one other file I listed above, leave everything else alone.

Upvote 0
Add .bak to the files inside the int.d folder. And .bak to the one other file I listed above, leave everything else alone.

OK, I did it, except I messed up, and renamed 99Anthrax as well. Luckily, it booted just fine, and I've changed that back.

So now I guess i can start streaming music over bluetooth and see if it crashes again? I am going to make a nand right now so if I need to tweak this some more, I don't have to start from scratch.

At this point, if Anthrax gives me trouble, I wipe everything and go back to Buttered Toast...at least now, I'll have a slightly tweaked Anthrax to go back to for more tweaking after asking more questions.

EDIT:

Everything ran fine for about 15-20 minutes. Then I turned the screen on to make an adjustment to the sound enhancer, and immediately when I turned the screen off, the music stopped and the screen wouldn't turn back on. About 15 seconds later, I saw the white HTC screen after my phone rebooted. So I am going back to my buttered toast NAND. I have an Anthrax NAND created for further tweaking if anyone can think of other things I can try.

EDIT AGAIN:

Does Anthrax mess with the system time? Does it change it from 24 hour to 12 hour format? I ask because I just restored my Anthrax NAND by accident instead of the Buttered Toast NAND. I made them back to back, but one contained the name 19:52 (for the time) and the other had 08:10 (for the time). The reason I mistakenly restored the Anthrax one was that due to the name, it was the second to last NAND. It should have been the last NAND.

Upvote 0
OS Monitor is a good app to use to check CPU usage since it will sort the tasks with the highest usage first.

ramjet73

I think I've figured out what caused the cpu usage to spike. It happened again just now as i re-installed Anthrax. When i ran OS monitor, I found that the media server was taking up all the CPU. It seems that when I installed Anthrax, the music app forgot about all the songs, as I saw it searching for music. After a few minutes, my CPU returned to normal.

Upvote 0
I think I've figured out what caused the cpu usage to spike. It happened again just now as i re-installed Anthrax. When i ran OS monitor, I found that the media server was taking up all the CPU. It seems that when I installed Anthrax, the music app forgot about all the songs, as I saw it searching for music. After a few minutes, my CPU returned to normal.

Now this is some good detective work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones