• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why fanboys?

In most cases, I can justify my choices and I can reasonably argue why my choice might be a better choice than your choice. That said, sometimes, my choice is my choice because I simply love the product; like religious faith, I do not need to justify my choices. The last thing I will do is go into fanboy mode.

That does not mean I won't be called a fanboy. Another problem with fanboys is they do not know they are fanboys; they only know that they are right.

Sometimes it is a personal preference based on my interests or my dislike for the alternatives.

I bought my iPad because it was the only tablet worth a damn on the market at the time I bought it. And I listened to the fanboys on the Android site tossing every silly reason they could come up with in some desperate hope they could make me feel bad. Quite often, they served up the "no Flash" issue or they play the "overpriced and Apple sucks" card.

All I ask is this: if you tell me Apple sucks and Android rules, I will ask you for specific reasons why you hold your opinions. If you can't provide reasons, your opinion is worthless.

Quite often, the Apple fanboy is a fool. And there are growing legions of Android fanboys out there too. He or she is quite often telling me things that are either untrue or they are based on crap they found on the Internet.

I know fountain pen fanboys, amateur radio fanboys, motorcycle fanboys, car fanboys, photographic equipment fanboys, digital music/film/photograph fanboys . . . fanboys at every turn.

The best thing to do when you encounter one of them is ask a few pointed questions. Do not yell, just counter each argument quietly and that often shuts them the hell up. If they cant give you a reason, that person is just another unreachable half-blind idiot that deserves no further consideration.

They will always be with us and is a fact.

The best thing to do when you encounter (a fanboy) is ask a few pointed questions. Do not yell, just counter each argument quietly and that often shuts them the hell up. If they cant give you a reason, that person is just another unreachable half-blind idiot that deserves no further consideration.

When you challenge the beliefs of a person whose self-image is tied to that belief or a device, you only infuriate them. It's best just to smile and leave them to their fanaticism.

Because people like to argue and think their opinion is the only right one.

Yup. That has been the way it has always been. Not likely to change. So simply accept that your opinion is right, your device is the best, and everything else matters not one bit. Pity them, for they know not what they think they know.

That's what I do. Smiley

You know, those people who think they are always right really upset those of us who are. ;)

QFT.

I can't stand that fanboy has been adopted into our language... Speaking and vocabulary has gone out the door lately.

It was bound to happen... Thats how businesses work. Gotta say "I'm better than the competition" someway, people adopt their feeling why it is better and use it to justify why they chose that product.

We're an elitist nation with an elitist attitude (imo)

I disagree.

We are a nation of all kinds of people and some are elitist. Most people are level headed and sensible. Most people likely do not know the term "fanboy." We see it because we are read forums that most people do not read; likely, many do not know anything about these forums.

When people start companies, they think they have a better product. That is elitist in a way, right?

People now start companies for nothing more than $$$$. Fanboy is a younger generations term. My 16 year sister knows that word and she is on 0 forums or boards.

There are companies out there for the greater good, and they should be applauded for just trying to make a competent product, but you know well of the corruption and greed that is occupying our financial institutions.

Look outside, in. We're not exactly the apple of other countries eyes....

Merry holidays Mr Maxey

People now start companies for nothing more than $$$$. Fanboy is a younger generations term. My 16 year sister knows that word and she is on 0 forums or boards.

There are companies out there for the greater good, and they should be applauded for just trying to make a competent product, but you know well of the corruption and greed that is occupying our financial institutions.

Look outside, in. We're not exactly the apple of other countries eyes....

Merry holidays Mr Maxey

Perhaps a few do, but most likely these people want a better life. Lots of success we never hear about. I am not sure how the greed of financial institutions enters into the discussion.

If I were to start a company, I would want it all. I want as much business as I could get. I want people to know my product is the best. Call it greed. Or call it what every business does or tries to do. Or call it the history of business and trying to build the proverbial better mousetrap.

Not every financial institution is greedy. Lots of smaller banks all across the land that are honest. It is the greed of a few compared to the whole, not the whole.

Fanboy is a better term than sheeple. Some people either are too lazy to bother to research any product they might want and just figure that so many of x were sold, it has to be good. Or else people need to have their purchase validated by the support of many. If a negative report comes out about X, these people will have a serious problem as their value of judgment or status has been attacked.

Fanboy can apply to football teams fans who are probably more rabid. Or baseball.
Yankees/Red Sox for one.

Don't be so hard on yourselves.... fanboys are a global phenomenon. Much in the same way that, while once considered the preserve of Apple, they're now found in large numbers extolling the virtues of other platforms. Just take a look at many of the posts here on AF. :rolleyes:

As the Urban Dictionary defines the term:
A person who is completely loyal to a game or company regardless of if they suck or not.
However I prefer the alternative:
A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.
Nicely sums up the futility of the whole exercise. :)

Nah its the first one. Rarely I will use this but that is not because I am a fanboy myself. I'm my opinion android is best and as I work in IT I kind of feel that it is a professional opinion of sorts.

I'm not loyal to android. I'm loyal to me and what's best

We need to feel "elitist" or so marketing tells us. So having others support our choices rabidly makes us feel better. Like SUroot, I do what I want and what works best for me.
The only time this pisses me off is dealing with a business entity. I've had fights with banks since I would never use IE. I used Opera. I just ran into this again using Ubuntu!
The bank supports Windows and Apple, but apparently has never heard of Linux!

ill side with SUroot and zuben el genub.

i choose a product that suits me best for the purpuses that i intend to use a device for.
if the device fails to function or work the way i want it to, i try to find a way to make the device work the way i need it to work.

imho objective thinking is needed whenever a choice is required:
im not going to buy an iphone because my inlaws uncles wife's dog groomer owns one.
im going to buy an android because it works, if i want more i can do something about it, and once the device has become obsolite, i can use it as a ip webcam to see who's coming down my driveway. ;)

I believe fanboys existed way before the iPhone. One that comes to mind are the sport fanboys. The ones that RIOT and puts the city in flame because their team lost a game...though these are just called crazy (insert team name) fans...but they are fanboys nonetheless. It's not like the iPhone CREATED fanboys, it's more like fanboyism is more pronounced after the iPhones.

I believe fanboys existed way before the iPhone. One that comes to mind are the sport fanboys. The ones that RIOT and puts the city in flame because their team lost a game...though these are just called crazy (insert team name) fans...but they are fanboys nonetheless. It's not like the iPhone CREATED fanboys, it's more like fanboyism is more pronounced after the iPhones.

Exactly. Yet another thing that apple DID NOT create ;)

Most fanboy arguments end up looking like....

1300856876680.jpg

Fan boy-Dom is just another religion.
Instead of worshinpping a particular god, you worship a company.
So, it's useless to reason with them.

Kinda also close to nationalism and fraternities.

Back
Top Bottom