• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi Sharing & Battery Usage Issue

Something to try for other people with "Wi-Fi Sharing" sucking 30% of the battery. This magically cleared on my S2 when I put the phone in USB storage mode and connected it to my laptop.

Whether this was just a random glitch in the matrix, or whether the "Wi-Fi Sharing" is somehow related to USB tethering... who knows.

Have a play - if it works it may mean not having to get root on your phone if you're not too technically inclined.

Upvote 0
YouTube - ‪Rooting your Galaxy S2 - @Cooky - AndroidForums‬‏

Best off opening it in youtube (click on the thing above) so you can see my annotations properly pointing to the right bits of the screen! :)

Ive finally got round to rooting my phone and following Bains93 video it went perfectly. Thanks again Matt.

Ive installed Titanium Backup Pro and frozen those nasty Wifi Sharing and WiFi Sharing Manager apps. Hopefully i'll see some improvement in battery life now.

Ive got a couple of questions hope someone out there can answer....

Im now rooted on KE2, how do upgrade to KE7? Can i download KE7 from somewhere (XDA Devs?) and install it using Odin? Is it the same process in Odin as i used to root, or do i need to do it a bit differently?

Second question, will Samsung Kies still work if KE7 ever comes out officially? Could i install it from there?

PS: For anyone worried about rooting, i just did it for the first time following the Vid, it really easy if you follow the steps and doesnt take long.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: Baines93
Upvote 0
There are ways to flash the phone so the "Flash counter" is reset to zero or whatever, so it looks untouched... (of course once back running the latest carrier/samsung original firmware and unrooted)

Cooky, follow this guide :) - pretty much as you said with a couple of other bits to do... you'll be fine now you know your way around odin though :)

[GUIDE] Debrand & Rebrand back to O2 for Samsung Galaxy S2 - xda-developers

Upvote 0
There are ways to flash the phone so the "Flash counter" is reset to zero or whatever, so it looks untouched... (of course once back running the latest carrier/samsung original firmware and unrooted)

Cooky, follow this guide :) - pretty much as you said with a couple of other bits to do... you'll be fine now you know your way around odin though :)

[GUIDE] Debrand & Rebrand back to O2 for Samsung Galaxy S2 - xda-developers

Thanks, just a couple of queries before i go ahead...?

In the XDA guide it refers to the latest Samsung UK SimFree Firmware and the file it links to is:
9100XWKDD_I9100XXKDH_I9100XEUKD1.zip

Is this KE7? Just checking as when i re-root after, I guess i need to make sure I pick the correct Kernal. Last time it was KE2 for me, but i guess this is the wrong one after i re-flash the whole firmware?

So when i re-root do i pick the KE7 kernal (is KE7 still the latest version for UK?), or is this a newer version of the firmware?

Also, is the idea of the process on the XDA guide that you flash an unbranded firmware using Odin and then your free to use Kies for future updates, which will come earlier as you dont have to wait for O2?

Last question, step 8 on the XDA guide, to update the CSC code.... What does this do? Can i skip this step as id like to avoid a factory reset if possible? What happens if i dont do it?

Upvote 0
Hi all

Pls excuse me if I ask a dumb question as SGS2 is my 1st Smartphone (never had an iphone or whatever in the market, my last phone is Sony Ericsson P1i)

You all were talking about the wi-fi sharing problem. Can you tell me where I can see it? I want to know if it is eating my battery usage.

When I go to Applications - Batter Usage, I saw these only
Display 37%
Voice Calls 31%
Android OS 8%
Angry Birds 6%
Internet 5%
Android System 5%
Cell Standy 3%
Dialer 3%
Phone Idle 2%

My ongoing items are Screen Capture Shortcut, Watchdog
I did not activate any of the Social/Game Hubs

Currently Android 2.3.3 Baseband I9100dxkf1 Kernel xwek7 Build Number Gingerbread xwkf1.

I did the wek7 yesterday

Upvote 0
Hi Everyone,

I have been following this thread for some time and just signed up to most my own experience.

I too have had the WiFi Sharing Bug affect my phone, but i had recently read in a report in another forum that one user fully charged his phone via USB cable hooked up to the computer. According to his report, by charging the phone via computer USB or by activating USB mass storage (the user was not sure which) the WiFi sharing service disappeared from the task manager. I recently attempted to replicate this user's experience and i was indeed able to also rid my phone of this rogue service by either charging it fully from USB or creating a USB mass storage device from my phone - i'm not sure which. This was done last night, and i just checked my task manager again this morning and it does indeed seem that the WiFi sharing service has not been reactivated. Also, the WiFi antenna itself has been active all night.

I will post back later today and let everyone know if the results remain positive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones