• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root WiFi tether and WiFi Wont work on Rooted

ekburrow

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
I had my phone rooted last year, and have a couple questions

How do I know what root i have and if it is Gingerbread or something else..

Here is my Root info..
Revolutionary
Supersonic EVT3 SHIP S-OFF
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.00.0808
Mar 8 2011.17:08:15

I have 2 issues i need some help with
when i try to Open WiFi tether i get the following message.
WIFI Version 3.2-beta2
I get this error message
NO ROOT!
Sorry but your Kernel does not have all necessary features for running this Application.

# 2. I once tried to change the WiFi to be "N" not just b/g, I re installed the original File "bcm4329.ko" but not WiFi will not turn on.

is there something i have to do to get the phone to recognise these

Phone Settings
Android Version 2.3.3
Baseband Version - 2.15.00.0808
Kernel Version - 26.35.10-g13578ee htc-kernel@and18-2#1 Wed Jul 20 18:06 CST 2011
Build Number 4.54.651.1 CL134969 release-keys
Software Number 4.54.651.1
Browser Version Webkit/533.1
PRI Version - 2.15_003
PRL Version 60794

Installed Superuser - version 3.1.3

the only files in the root of the SD card are
yume_andriod_sdk
Superuser.apk
wpa_supplicant.bak
buzybox-stericson
toolbos-stericson
bcm4329.ko
su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed zipped file

Any help is appreciated..

Thanks ERIC

Upvote 0
Ok where do i get a custom ROM.. I just put it in the ROot of the SD Card and let it install with bootloader?

Thnaks ERIC

ok first thing first please read this:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html
skip the first post about rooting and head on down to the second post. it has tons of info including how to flash a rom and making a nandroid backup which you should do before anything else(if you have not done already).

as far as where to get them here is a list of roms and kernels:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/618281-list-utilities-apps-roms-kernels-og-evo.html
try one of the staff picks. i always recommend mikg3.11 as the first one to try. but there are plenty of others to choose from as well.

and i gave a link to other versions of wifi tether, try one of those. i think ver 3.3 pre3 was what worked for me the best.

Reactions: ekburrow
Upvote 0
OK thank you all ,.. U know us noob are scared to mess up the phone.... so I read and re read,. I completed the process and installed the Mikg3.11 full wipe... Phone loaded .. going to reistall some apps and see what i got now... Thank you again

i can understand being scared part. i was like that when i first rooted my phone. but to be honest......it is super hard to brick your phone.

here are three things to know and you will never have any issues or worries:
1. nandroid backups-making nandroid backups have saved me many times over......just remember that they are your friends and you as long as you have one you are good.
2.wiping- wiping well will always ensure that your new rom will have a clean environment to install into. so make sure that you wipe everything but the sd card and you will always have a successful flash.
3.all is good if you have recovery-if you have a custom recovery(amon ra 2.3 or smelkus is what i would recommend) then you should be fine. so if for some reason you get a bootloop or a rom will not load up as long as you have a recovery that you can boot into you will be fine.

i hope this will help to ease your mind.......and please if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Reactions: tube517 and biker57
Upvote 0
Got one more question,,

I used titianuim Pro to back up before i even considered doing the Mikg3.11 full wipe to the SD card

is there a way to find and update the Phonebook, messages and voicemails i had

currently it loaded a copy of the Gmail phonebook with about 10 contacts,

Thanks again

Eric

titanium backup can save system apps like those, but it is not recommended as they most likely will have issues with those of the rom you flashed. however, if you made a nandroid backup before flashing mikg3.11 then you can restore it to retrieve the information that you need.

your phonebook should be synced with google anyways. if not then i would work to get the numbers moved from the phone to google.

text you use something like sms backup to back them up to the card.

not sure on vvm.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones