• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the Evo 3D SELL OUT?

Do you think the first BATCH of Evo 3Ds will sellout within a week?

• Yes, they will go like hotcakes!

Votes: 57 63.3%
  • No, there's no chance.

Votes: 33 36.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Keep in mind that Sprint had not released a super high end phone for a while prior to the EVO 4G.
It was the first 4G and first with a 4.x in screen. Combine all those factors and it made for a hell of a launch day sale.
Now all these people who were eligible for devices quickly ate them up.
Fast Forward to today, ALL the EVO 4G owners now are in 2 year contrats, with some being eligible 1 year later.
I think a lot of people are just happy with the EVO 4G and dont see a NEED to go to a 3D device.
I am glad i made the swtich. Well i already made the swtich technically. Went from an EVO 4G to an EPIC, now have a 3D. Still miss my S-AMOLED screen but the qHD display on the 3D is an improvement over the 4G.

Lots of things to take into consideration when compaing the devices and quantities.

Upvote 0
I ordered my Evo 3D yesterday. I'm glad it's not sold out like the Evo 4G was...I remember having to wait weeks for the Evo 4G to be available.

Either HTC produced a lot more phones in anticipation, or people are waiting to see if the SGS2 will be made available, or waiting to see the Photon.

I am loving the HTC attitude towards updates and bootloaders, so I am staying on the HTC wagon.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I just bought my phone recently at the sprint store.when I asked the associate about how the evo3d were selling, he told me that a lot of people were looking at them but not a lot of people were buying them. he said that since the evo4g was that 99 dollars they were still selling a lot of evouy 4 g's. I do not think a lot of people are good to buy it because they're still locked in a contract for the 4 g. I am just glad I had the htc hero that I upgraded to the evo3d

Upvote 0
I'm curious to know that as well. I wonder how many have been returned now as well (with mulitple 10 page posts on XDA about this very topic).

Returns? That we'll never know. The impression is often high on new releases because on user-help sites people are posting due to problems (and seriously - there's lots of reposts and noise in any returns thread (and flaming, especially over there), so that thread length isn't an indicator either). Example: I had a bad one (replaced next day) and a good one. Add in all the people like me and you'd think there's a 50% return rate. That wouldn't be happening or they'd hold back or have a recall or something (consumer laws actually work ;)). And every big company wants to save face, so they don't publish that info.

So - that's why I say we'll never know. Not saying it's big or small - just that we can't know.

Commercial:

We tend to repress the generic I-returned-mine thread because we find them sensational and self-serving (really: probably sanctioned to just drive web traffic). As the oldest and largest users-helping-users Android forum, we don't need to go for that.

We never repress the specific I-returned-mine threads for light leaks, bad radios, bad screens, bad charging, bad reboots, bad cameras, etc, etc, because those seem helpful. Often users help users not panic and fix things that seem panicky, and then help indicate return/replace when there is no fix.

Upvote 0
I just bought my phone recently at the sprint store.when I asked the associate about how the evo3d were selling, he told me that a lot of people were looking at them but not a lot of people were buying them. he said that since the evo4g was that 99 dollars they were still selling a lot of evouy 4 g's.

Interesting. :)

The Evo is a really great phone and sold like crazy at $200. At half off, I can see the 3vo taking a back seat - everyone who fence sat over price must find that hard to pass up, and there's not a thing wrong with that.

What's also interesting to me is that I can sell my Evo back to Sprint (I'm keeping mine) for $150, but they're selling them for half that. The Evos are based on older technology chips and I'll bet they want the replacement stock for warranty parts or insurance replacements to retain customers - the supply of Evos can't last forever, simply because of their chip generation.

Upvote 0
Interesting. :)

The Evo is a really great phone and sold like crazy at $200. At half off, I can see the 3vo taking a back seat - everyone who fence sat over price must find that hard to pass up, and there's not a thing wrong with that.

What's also interesting to me is that I can sell my Evo back to Sprint (I'm keeping mine) for $150, but they're selling them for half that. The Evos are based on older technology chips and I'll bet they want the replacement stock for warranty parts or insurance replacements to retain customers - the supply of Evos can't last forever, simply because of their chip generation.

Theyre more than willing to give it away for $99 to lock people in for 2 years. After their last quarterly numbers showing how few post paid customers they've been adding in comparison to pre-paid im gonna guess theyre trying to focus on that. Ill tell you one thing though, there are a ton of Evo 4G's on metro and boost. I put up an ad for a rooted evo 4G on craigslist for $250 due to the fact that Evo's are shipping with the locked bootloader making it harder for them to flash them over.. I kid you not within 5 minutes of me posting it I had 10 phone calls. My phone was ringing so much I had to take the ad down after about 10 minutes. A good thing for people not wanting to be locked into contracts but not so much for Sprint.

On top of that its generally a bad sign when even the reps in the stores are complaining about data speeds. When I went in to buy my case for the 3D there were 3 reps in there discussing how frustrating the data has gotten and one had even signed a contract with Verizon to get in under the unlimited data before the tiered plans went into effect.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones