• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will The Htc Desire HD work in Canada?

Upvote 0
Hi all! 2 things... first, I ordered the otterbox desire hd case from the US on Saturday and it arrived today... I was amazed at the speed and cost :)

2nd - my phone came today as well! I have been playing with it since.... I knew all to well it would only do 2g.... but I wanted to play with it and compare it side by side with my ip4.... wifi is working great, it seems to see my rogers automatically.... but when I turn off wifi, it has no internet! I selected mobile network.... in the options, is there anything specific I have to do? I hope and assume it is a me not knowing the settings thing!

ummm, this case ROCKS.... it improves the functionality of the phone (not that I do not love the design, but the volume rocker and power button are so smooth, you had to "try" to press them).

Now the rubber volume and power button stand out much farther, and only require a light press..... very impressed. Another think I loved vs my ip4 one, the rubber is on the inside vs the outside.... and it really protects the camera now!

**got the apn settings from rogers, works

Upvote 0
well , no matter what data speed is availlable in Canada , i will NOT get riped off by these telco's ,i have the chance of travelling to asia/europe very frequently (so i need a phone that will be compatible with north american / european / asian networks , and NO i will not carry 2 or 3 devices) and when i bought my hero 2 years ago a unlocked version here in Canada was 1200$ , i paid my HK limited edition hero 400$ in HK , can a representant of telus , bell or rogers explain to me howcome transport is worth 800$ ? dont tell me that htc is selling at lost in asia , i just dont believe this crap , i'm going back after the holidays (well during chinese new year holiday season) and wil be bringing back a desire HD AND a tablet (would like an htc tablet , but if nothing comes out of htc i'll probably go for a galaxy tab)

it really is a shame that the country that saw the first telephone (A G Bell) is now a third world country for cell comm , hell i get better data in mainland China and vietnam/ laos then in Canada

oh and rogers : i am already a client with you guys so when you tell me i need yet another data plan to be able to buy a galaxy tab i simply want to tether to my phone (i.e use the data plan of my phone on wich i already get screwed compared to data plans in the rest of the world) the only thing i can think of is : bye bye you just lost a customer

Upvote 0
Well, re3e, I share your feelings.

I read somewhere though that the reason it's so expensive here in Canada is because there are so few people for a square mile which makes coverage and overall cost of mobile communications far more expensive than in other places.
makes sense?

I donno, in any case, how much does the DHD cost in HK?

Upvote 0
well the population density factor does make sence on the data/voice plan (unrelated : 5$ gets me more data/voice then i use in a month (and i'm a data junky) with china telecom) but not on the unlocked handset price , 300% price difference (without any data/voice plan) is just strong-arming the consumer to actually get a 2 or 3 year contract to protect themselves from data/voice plan depreciation over that period , in other words it's the mermaid song , worst , it's impossible to get data without a 2 or 3 year contract
i paid my hero 3000HK$ ~ 400 can$ , try to find this price in canada even for a 2 yo model like the hero .
that pisses me the most is that CRTC-osaurus is letting this go on and condone the cheap brands of those exploitators (fido for rogers for exemple .... a whole bunch came out that are "little-sisters" of the big 3) saying that this is a free market of competitive players is the funiest joke of the millenium , but i guess some minister or high ranking civil "servant" is getting $$ for it

Upvote 0
I bought a DHD from the web site Handtec in UK.. and i suppose to receive it in one or two week.

Buy HTC Desire HD (Android, SIM Free/Unlocked, Dark Brown) Reviews

The phone is "SIM Free/Unlocked" and i will connect it to Telus but I will not the the data.. so i'm pretty sure it will work fine !!

I will tell you if it work went I'll receive it !!

N.B: sorry for my english !

It will not work. Sorry but you lost your money.
Telus has no GSM/EDGE coverage (aka 2G) and the DHD is not compatible with any North American 3G frequency.

Upvote 0
Ok soo, I was received my phone tuesday and i was called at Telus for check if my IMEI code work on they network and unfortunately the code was reject, after that I was tried to insert a Telus SIM card but no network too :mad:... my last change is it to try on Rogers network, so at the shop the seller give me a SIM card :eek: It work !!!!

I dont have time to check if the 3g network work.. but for the phone it's WORK !! anyway I dont want to use it

LAST problem it left me to resolve, is... I have a contrat with Telus :mad:... I will need to find a good solution for that !

Upvote 0
Ok soo, I was received my phone tuesday and i was called at Telus for check if my IMEI code work on they network and unfortunately the code was reject, after that I was tried to insert a Telus SIM card but no network too :mad:... my last change is it to try on Rogers network, so at the shop the seller give me a SIM card :eek: It work !!!!

I dont have time to check if the 3g network work.. but for the phone it's WORK !! anyway I dont want to use it

LAST problem it left me to resolve, is... I have a contrat with Telus :mad:... I will need to find a good solution for that !

Unfortunately, Desire HD won't work on Telus! It works on Rogers but only on 2G bands. If you really don't want to understand why, try Is your phone compatible with other carriers/operators? - it would have told you all this!

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, Desire HD won't work on Telus! It works on Rogers but only on 2G bands. If you really don't want to understand why, try Is your phone compatible with other carriers/operators? - it would have told you all this!

I'm on the same boat as a lot of other people. I am planning to get desire HD unlocked from Hong Kong (which should be same as the european version)

Yhbae, I checked with the site you've provided and it says DHD euro ver. WILL be compatible 3G with Wind or Mobilicity

This is kind of exciting to know.. except I'm wondering how reliable the site is cause there'll be no turning back after I paid $600cad for the phone, no refunds :(

any feedback/comments will be appreciated! thank you

Upvote 0
Yhbae, I checked with the site you've provided and it says DHD euro ver. WILL be compatible 3G with Wind or Mobilicity

This is kind of exciting to know.. except I'm wondering how reliable the site is cause there'll be no turning back after I paid $600cad for the phone, no refunds :(

any feedback/comments will be appreciated! thank you

Are you sure you selected the right phone/carriers?

Euro Desire HD should not be compatible with WIND...

EDIT: I just tried the site myself - it does report as incompatible which is correct, I'm afraid... :(

I think I'm going with the route of Nexus S. WIND now has $40 unlimited voice AND data starting today! :)

Upvote 0
Does anyone have any leads as to when a 3G version should hit the market?

I'm on the verge of buying the Desire Z here in Canada, but maybe I should wait if it's in the works...

I doubt it's coming to North America anytime soon since it hasn't even been approved by the FCC in the US yet (the European version with the only-2G-in-North-America was approved by the FCC months ago). Until that device shows up with an FCC approval stamp showing US/Canada 3G frequencies, one can't even speculate when it will be available, if ever. Generally after a device shows up with an FCC approval, it takes a couple of months or so before it's made available for sale.

Upvote 0
thank you so much for everyone's reply!

@yhbae: that is so weird.. I swear I saw compatible on 3G on that site .. maybe I really chose the wrong phone. I've been looking at nexus S too, its got pretty good specs, price is reasonable but don't really like the plastic-y material..

@EvoLt: thank you for the infomation, however it will be quite unlikely I"ll root the phone though it's too complicated and I have had bad experiences with unlocking phones,etc

@KnowProblem: wow your prediction sounds convincing.. maybe I really should give up waiting?!

Upvote 0
I doubt it's coming to North America anytime soon since it hasn't even been approved by the FCC in the US yet (the European version with the only-2G-in-North-America was approved by the FCC months ago). Until that device shows up with an FCC approval stamp showing US/Canada 3G frequencies, one can't even speculate when it will be available, if ever. Generally after a device shows up with an FCC approval, it takes a couple of months or so before it's made available for sale.

Although this is mostly true, occasionally, some phones arrive from Europe without entering US market. Desire Z is one such example. It it really is hard to tell if Desire HD will ever get to Canada... I gave up waiting. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones