• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you be getting Asurion Insurance w/ your Incredible?

Insurance for you Incredible?

• Yes, with Verizon/Asurion.

Votes: 342 65.0%
  • Yes, with SquareTrade

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Yes, with other 3rd-party insurance

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • No insurance at all.

Votes: 154 29.3%

• Total voters
I think I'll be going with carrying the $6/mo insurance for one year, then changing it to the $2 extended warranty coverage.

If I destroy the phone via accident after one year, I'll just pay the $200 or so to upgrade to a new phone.

I wouldn't be able to swing $530 to replace it if it was destroyed within the first year though.

I think the point is most people dont mind paying an extra $6 on an alreday large bill. Dont even feel it.
So the only thing I take into account when deciding if I'm getting insurance is the deductible. And i would rather pay $90 than full price.

Now if you're the kind of person that adds up every six dollars and figures how much it would be in a year and blah blah blah... then yes... probably seems like a rip off.

In my case, one way or another i would spend those six bucks... probably in a gas station on pretzels and a slurpee while my tank if getting filled up... so it doesnt hurt me to pay those $6 for insurance.

Oh oh oh and if I'm the type of person that adds up every six dollars and figures how much it would be in a year then I would say you will end up spending a minimum of $144 on the phone insurance over 2 years and STILL another $144 on your pretzels and slurpees IF AND ONLY IF you fill up your tank about once a week. That is $288 in 2 years for phone insurance, pretzels, and slurpees.... I WOULD QUESTION IF THE RETURN ON INVESTMENT IS TRULY WORTH IT SIR!!!!!!

Just messing with you, but your post made me smile so I had to say something. :D

As for the insurance, I have my car and motorcycle with State Farm in California, so I'm gonna call them and see if they'll cover my Incredible. If not, I'll consider the $6 Asurion. I'm very careful with phones, but still paranoid. The other thing people aren't considering is $500+ dollars all at once vs $144 over a 2 year period in $6 monthly increments is actually much different if you really start looking at it. Obviously there's that side where you may never make a claim, but it still isn't a lot of money spread out over so long. Lets be honest here as well, tons of people who put the insurance on their phone are planning on making a claim down the road, whether its legit or not. I don't plan on making a bullshit claim, but it's a reality with cell phones people, deal with it.

My experience with insurance/warranty is if you make a claim with Asurion, they send you a phone brand new in the original box. If you take your phone to a verizon store they will give you either a brand new in box or refurb.

This is my experience:

Bought original Storm at Best Buy on launch date had issues within a month brought it to verizon and they replaced it with a new one in box

Had that one for about 2 months and used Asurion and got another brand new one in box.

Few months later had issues with this phone talked to support they deemed it un-fixable sent me a refurbed phone that came with nothing (no battery, SIMM card, or SD card) just the phone. Screen wiggled badly so I called verizon and they sent me a new one in box.

In fall of last year again had issues with the storm and brought it to a verizon store and they gave me a warranty replacement refurbed storm

Today I am having issues again with memory loss, locking up, not being able to answer the phone because it won't respond, and others.

My conclusion is after having 6 different storms that I am now switching to Android and the HTC incredible. So me having both insurance and extended warranty is worth it.

Wouldn't it be worth it to get the insurance and pay it for a year or so until you either become eligible for an upgrade, or the value for a new phone evens itself out and then just cancel the ins?

Check with you're insurance company and see if they have what is called an "Inland Marine" policy. It covers accidental damage to items. I have about 5k in camera gear that I have covered with a policy added to my renters insurance. It covers things like loss and damage. So if I drop my camera on pavement or in a lake, etc. Even if it was my fault, it's covered.
Mine cost about $2.50 per $100 with a $50 deductible. So....for $500 it would be $12.50/year. Much cheaper than what Verizon cost.

The bottom line with all the "anti-insurance" guys is simply financial.

I'm assuming you guys carry insurance on your car, house, health. You do that, of course, because they are "worth" more than you can afford to lose.

Well, when it comes to an item like the phone, it's a similar thing. Can you afford to buy a new $530 phone if you break yours? If not, it's probably a good idea to carry the insurance for a little while. Lots of people can afford $200 on a phone (with a new contract), but can't afford $530 unexpectedly.

If you know you can afford $500 unexpectedly at a random point and you don't have a history of dropping things, it's probably the better gamble to not bother. If on the other hand, you simply wouldn't be able to come up with $500 spur of the moment (and especially if you've ever jumped in a pool with your phone in your pocket in the past), you should probably get the insurance.

I am going no insurance, because the following:

I can get a discounted phone in 1 year with a new 2 year Contract, and I probably will do that because by that point there will probably be something a lot better than the Incredible out, probably even an LTE phone.

So, unless I think I am going to lose or damage my Incredible within one year, it doesn't make sense for my situation to pay for insurance.

If I did lose my phone or damage it within a year, I would probably get a Droid or Eris or a used Incredible on Ebay.

I'm liking this talk of a 1-year insurance term. After a year, even 2-year contracts are eligible for an Annual Upgrade. So the $144 becomes $72, plus the $90 deductible.

I did the math, and with the following assumptions:
-ignoring the cost of lost opportunity (not much interest to be earned on $6/month)
-assuming a $400 cost of replacement (refurb Incredible price?)
-assuming a worthless broken phone
the insurance is priced for a 23% chance of claim.

Ill probably be going with the Best Buy option which allows you to pay everything up front. It will cost $170 with a $0 deductible, last two years, and will provide you with a brand new phone should anything happen. Its about a dollar more a month than the Asurion option, but actually much cheaper if you take into account there is no deductible.

Still doesn't cover lost or stolen phones..

Just pay $269 instead of $199 and sign a 1 year contract. If the device craps out within the year it's covered. Then after a years up buy the latest and greatest device and sell the 1 year old to pay for half of the new device.

I think I'll be going with carrying the $6/mo insurance for one year, then changing it to the $2 extended warranty coverage.

If I destroy the phone via accident after one year, I'll just pay the $200 or so to upgrade to a new phone.

I wouldn't be able to swing $530 to replace it if it was destroyed within the first year though.

I agree. You don't need to have the full coverage for the life of the phone. As soon as the prices start going down, then cancel the full coverage. For the first 8 months to a year it is worth it.

I'm going no insurance for two reasons. One, insurance companies are a bunch of scumbags. And two, I have a perfectly good BB Tour as a back up and haven't carelessly broken a phone in probably 7 years. If the insurer gave back a percentage for nonuse or dropped the deductable after a certain time then maybe. I'm going with extended warrantee and self control.

I'm going no insurance for two reasons. One, insurance companies are a bunch of scumbags. And two, I have a perfectly good BB Tour as a back up and haven't carelessly broken a phone in probably 7 years. If the insurer gave back a percentage for nonuse or dropped the deductable after a certain time then maybe. I'm going with extended warrantee and self control.

I have a perfectly good BB curve that I am going to use as a backup as well (can't really get much for it if I tried to sell it anyway). Yeah it would be painful to have to revert back to that if something happens to my Incredible, but at least I'll still have a smart phone of some sort to hold me over until my next upgrade date comes around.

Why not sell your Blackberry and use part of the proceeds to pay for insurance? That way, you'll ensure continued use of an Incredible.

Just pay $269 instead of $199 and sign a 1 year contract. If the device craps out within the year it's covered. Then after a years up buy the latest and greatest device and sell the 1 year old to pay for half of the new device.

Yea, doesn't HTC warranty the phone for any problems for the 1st year anyways? So, paying the insurance for the first year for problems only (not for lost/stolen) is a waste, right?
So, if you purchase the phone on a 1-yr contract, seems to me the insurance is a waste?
Or, I'm liking the idea that someone said to buy the $6 insurance and then when the phone goes down in price in about 6months, cancel it because then it will probably be < $200 brand new :)

Does this sound logical?! :confused:

For those of us who don't mind the contract, even 2-year contracts are eligible for an Annual Upgrade after 12 months. The only catch is a new 2-year contract and a $20 fee.

#3 and #4 on that list is enough to let me ride out the 1-yr and let the manufacturer warranty deal with any problems first.
You know that by Fall or so, the INC will probably be less than $100, so it's a waste IMO. Like the article said, most likely by the time you lose/damage it, the phone you get will be less than what you could get it new!

Back
Top Bottom