• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wirefly has it up for preorder

So all in all, it's $55 cheaper for me to get the device through Wirefly, although I paid $20 for next day shipping so that's $35 saved over buying at Best Buy.

Wirefly requires the data contract remain 5 months longer than if I buy at Best Buy, which is $100 more.

Overall, I have paid $65 more and have 1 GB of 3G data per month for 5 additional months.

I guess I will have to see if I can live with that. It's not the cost, it's the stupid BS of putting ridiculous controls on consumers with this completely and utterly ridiculous policy, being the device is $799 retail, not $899, but oh well.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
I just had a live chat with an agent and here's what I got...clueless.

Agent: Hi Scottaboshia. Thank you for contacting our chat support group. I'd be glad to help you with that.

Agent: For security reasons,could you please verify the last four digits of your Social Security Number?

Scottaboshia: XXXX

Agent: Thank you for the verification.

Agent: Please allow me two minutes while I review your order details.

Scottaboshia: Okay

Agent: Thank you.

Agent: Thanks for your patience, I'm still checking on the details of your order.

Agent: Thanks very much for holding, I'm sorry that took so long, and I appreciate your patience.

Scottaboshia: No problem

Agent: I have reviewed your order and see that you have the Motorola Xoom phone with the 3G Mobile Broadband for Tablets 1 GB month to month contract.

Scottaboshia: Correct

Agent: The discounted price for the tablet is $819.98 and we require you to maintain the same phone and plan for a minimum of 6 months.

Scottaboshia: The full retail price of the device is $799

Scottaboshia: There is no discount, I can buy it at Best Buy for $799 or VZW for $799 with no 6 month minimum

Agent: Let me check some more information for you, please allow me two minutes.

Agent: Thanks for holding, I do appreciate your patience.

Scottaboshia: It has been confirmed on many websites that full, unsubsidized pricing through Verizon Wireless is $799, therefore Wirefly is offering no discount.

Agent: Scottaboshia, I do understand that however you have as you are purchasing the phone through us, we require you to maintain the plan for a minimum of 6 months.

Scottaboshia: So what you're getting at is that I am required to pay full retail AND keep a data contract for a minimum of 6 months, even when Verizon says that 1 month is the minimum?

Scottaboshia: I simply want to understand how this works since I feel it is missleading.
Agent: I understand your concern, can you please get me two minutes while I get a detailed information on this.

Scottaboshia: Thank you.
Agent: Thanks very much for holding, I'm sorry that took so long, and I appreciate your patience.
Agent: As per the contract with us, we require you to maintain the same data plan and device for a minimum of 181 days and this phone is a part in the Instant Saving Discount's terms and condition.

Scottaboshia: Can you please let me know how much instant savings I saved by purchasing the Motorola Xoom through Wirefly?

Scottaboshia: I understand the policy.

Scottaboshia: Also, please let me know the latest date I have to cancel my order.
Agent: I'm not sure if you get a contract with a store however you have a contract with our company for this service.

Scottaboshia: And my instant savings are....? You can't make me agree to an instant savings agreement if I didn't save anything.

Scottaboshia: Look, I know you can't help me out here. I just wanted to know if you had any additional information you could share. I may be canceling my order. I am weighing my options. Thanks for the help!

Agent: I would like to inform you that the Instant Saving Discount is $300 if you breach the contract.

Scottaboshia: I don't understand how that number comes about. What is the full retail price of the Motorola Xoom?

Agent: The phone price is a retail price however when you purchase the tablet through us, you get a contract and as we are authorized vendors, we require you to maintain the plan for a minimum of 6 months.

Agent: The Instant Saving Discount policy means that we require you to maintain the plan and if the contract is breached then you will be liable for an Instant Saving Discount of $300.

Scottaboshia: I understand but when I ordered the Xoom, I did not save anything over the retail pricing. Please contact a manager and have them look into this, not only for me, but for everyone who has ordered.. Something is definitely not correct. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Wow what a ****ing scam they are running over there at wirefly. Basically since most people dont know the offical price they are bull shitting people into thinking there getting an instant discount. Just so there sorry asses can lock you into there "wire fly" contract so they can fill there pockets with finders fee.

Upvote 0
Well there page says $899 with slash and then $799. So shady its not even funny if i knew who report them to i woukd because they are thiefs through and through.

This is their response:

"Our prices change frequently for various reasons including promotional offers and availability. We are constantly updating our offers to provide our customers with the best prices possible. The 181 day no change to a data plan allows us to receive our commissions from Verizon Wireless. We appreciate your interest in shopping with Wirefly."

Ain't gonna buy from a place I can't trust... not now or ever

You know they should AT LEAST give free overnight shipping... hell Verizon Wireless does. Which means that buying from them has absolutely no benefits..

Upvote 0
I just had a similar chat with another rep and it followed the same path. They claimed the 6 month commitment was required due to the discount? I asked if that meant that I was getting for less than $799??? The guy was pleasant enough and seemed to quickly understand my point, but in the end couldn't do anything. I decided to just cancel my order because quite frankly it seemed rather shady that they were trying to sneak in a contract while not providing any service for it in return. That was the first time I've ever tried to work with them and likely the last.

Upvote 0
$799.99 is the MS(uggested)RP

Any retail store can price it at what ever they want and have a "sale" or "discount" on it.

I don't agree with it and if you don't just don't buy from them.

I couldn't care less about them making it seem like a discount... its the fact that they're making it look like a discount, and because of the discount tie you into a 180 wirefly contract OR you can pay $200 extra. All of that in small print, they "increased" the price to $899, sell it to you at the "discount" of $799 and say, "hey because we gave you $100 off (even though we actually didn't), you have to keep that VZW plan for 6 months or pay us $200-$300 more than you already have"

Upvote 0
thanks all..

this is why i will not order thru wirefly. i know we all are ready and getting antsy and want to "do something" but going the wirefly route is just not any benefit. you will not get the unit any sooner than if you walk into the store on release day.

now granted if some of you are no where close to a best buy (there are several around me and each direction) perhaps this may be an option, however i would STILL wait until monday latest to see if someone else will do a preorder (amazon, etc) instead of the wirefly route. there was a lengthy discussion on the evo forum about wirefly and this contract...

so to you guys and gals who want to order online, id wait until monday to see if someone else will offer...

Reactions: Mitchrapp
Upvote 0
thanks all..

this is why i will not order thru wirefly. i know we all are ready and getting antsy and want to "do something" but going the wirefly route is just not any benefit. you will not get the unit any sooner than if you walk into the store on release day.

now granted if some of you are no where close to a best buy (there are several around me and each direction) perhaps this may be an option, however i would STILL wait until monday latest to see if someone else will do a preorder (amazon, etc) instead of the wirefly route. there was a lengthy discussion on the evo forum about wirefly and this contract...

so to you guys and gals who want to order online, id wait until monday to see if someone else will offer...

Solid advice. I think I'm canceling mine right now.

Upvote 0
It almost seemed to good to be true when Wirefly was offering up pre-orders over the past weekend. I was told I could order, and they would ship on 2/23, so I figured I could do overnite shipping and have my tablet on launch day without hassle.
Now I was told that once they get the tablets, they need to do carrier approval, etc, so it most likely will ship over the weekend, or by early next week.

Anyone experience this? Or can check on their order as well?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones