• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wireless Tether/Hotspot

galaxyatc

Lurker
Anyone get Wireless Tether or Mobile Hotspot to work with the Transform Ultra? I keep getting an ad-hoc error. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Download wireless tether 3.1 beta. I was getting the same error with my prevail, but that app supports infrastructure wifi, and works like a charm.

I tried beta 6, the latest release, no go for me, you have tried it on the ulta right? What settings?

Unfortunately, I can't even get my transform rooted, I keep getting errors. But when I. Downloaded it to my prevail I had to play around with the profiles until I found the right one. Some profiles only have ad-hoc connections but some have both. Sorry I can't be of more help, but when I switched phones I cleared everything out so I could use it as a PMP.

<edited to add> OK, I got my phone rooted and tried to download wifi tether... I'll try to fool around with the settings to see if I can get it to do broadcast a hotspot right. once I find the settings that work, I'll report back in.

Unfortunately, I can't even get my transform rooted, I keep getting errors. But when I. Downloaded it to my prevail I had to play around with the profiles until I found the right one. Some profiles only have ad-hoc connections but some have both. Sorry I can't be of more help, but when I switched phones I cleared everything out so I could use it as a PMP.

<edited to add> OK, I got my phone rooted and tried to download wifi tether... I'll try to fool around with the settings to see if I can get it to do broadcast a hotspot right. once I find the settings that work, I'll report back in.
Also, try running the terminal and type getprop to see what you DNS1 & 2 is. Then put those settings into Wtethers DNS settings... (if you havent already)

Also, try running the terminal and type getprop to see what you DNS1 & 2 is. Then put those settings into Wtethers DNS settings... (if you havent already)

I did not know that one, however I changed it - no luck for me... I had no problems with my prevail, downloaded from market and worked first try.... ulta, no love yet.

I've tried everything I could, so I have posted an issue ticket with the makers. I believe that it may be something that Boost has done however, since every wifi app that I have downloaded has failed... it should not be this hard to tether an android phone to an android tablet...

I've tried everything I could, so I have posted an issue ticket with the makers. I believe that it may be something that Boost has done however, since every wifi app that I have downloaded has failed... it should not be this hard to tether an android phone to an android tablet...
could be something that Boost included in the stock kernel but im not sure.

What setting did you use to get it to work? I'm still getting ad-hoc fail with open garden

Just ignore the error message. If it doesn't work, reboot, and then try again. It's not flawless - probably best to reboot when you stop tethering.

I'm networked via OpenGarden right now.

I also managed to get Barnacle working, but it was similarly imperfect.

Just ignore the error message. If it doesn't work, reboot, and then try again. It's not flawless - probably best to reboot when you stop tethering.

I'm networked via OpenGarden right now.

I also managed to get Barnacle working, but it was similarly imperfect.

i agree, i has similar problems with my prevail until i rebooted. Then it worked.

could be something that Boost included in the stock kernel but im not sure.

That's what I thought too, but it seems that the problem is across the board with Samsung branded gingerbread devices. The problem is in the wifi interface, which is failing due to DHCP issues. I just don't know enough about android or linux to troubleshoot the problem. I guess its off to buy a book abou linux hacking...

Open garden works but only ad hoc which my iconia doesn't support.

Just something to try...

1. Open Root Explorer or whatever root file manager you use
2. navigate to /system
3. mount as R/W
4. Long press build.prop
5. Open With and select Text editor
6. look for the line that looks like this:
ro.tether.denied=true
It should be under the # WIFI label
7. If the value is =true, change it to =false
8. Tap menu and tap "save changes"
9. Exit and reboot your phone
10. try wireless tether now
If it still doesnt work go back to build.prop and see if the change saved..

Just something to try...

1. Open Root Explorer or whatever root file manager you use
2. navigate to /system
3. mount as R/W
4. Long press build.prop
5. Open With and select Text editor
6. look for the line that looks like this:
ro.tether.denied=true
It should be under the # WIFI label
7. If the value is =true, change it to =false
8. Tap menu and tap &quot;save changes&quot;
9. Exit and reboot your phone
10. try wireless tether now
If it still doesnt work go back to build.prop and see if the change saved..

That line is not in the build.prop on this phone, so that method wont work.

after babelsquirrel said...
Just ignore the error message.
...i went back and tried Wireless Tether from the market, it still did not work. but then i cleared my wifi settings on my laptop and now it does work, still says ad-hoc failed, but works fine. i think the problem for me was AndroidTether was already saved on my laptop to connect to my Prevail and now that it was installed on the Ultra the Wireless Tether used the same SSID AndroidTether (default setting)

so try clearing your wifi settings or make a new SSID in Wireless Tether, and "Just ignore the error message."

Anyone get Wireless Tether or Mobile Hotspot to work with the Transform Ultra? I keep getting an ad-hoc error. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mine is working. rooted took 5 attempts for the root to take. Then had to download open garden for it to work, I get the same adhoc error but my laptop runs fine 54mb/s on 3g network. i cant find a solution to the adhoc error ..help...plz

Not sure if this will help, but you can also try loading zt 180 wifi tether app on the tablet you are trying to tether to your Ultra. I had issues tethering my touchpad to newer builds of cm7 but once I tried that it worked without any issues. Just remember to wipe out all the previously saved wifi connections first and also remember to name your SSID AndroidTether on the Ultra. (This method is only for trying to tether two android devices together)

Back
Top Bottom