• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Won't start up, ...again. Cycling between screens

injipoint

Jun 30, 2013
Device Size:2 10.1 Device Model Number:GT-P5100 Android Version:4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich

Hi,
My Tab 2 refused to turn on about a month ago. Cycled around and around the blue screen, back to "Galaxy Tab" back to the blue screen, refused to actually start up. I asked for info on the forum here but nobody answered so maybe nobody knows

Researched and found the reset instructions. Was not at all happy about this as I have a heap of downloaded magazines and apps on it. Got over the issue and began painstakingly re-downloading my apps and mags. I live on my boat so I don't have what you would call normal hi-speed internet. These downloads are done where I can find a bar or a caf

Is this the robot downloading? You may be in Download mode.
90417d1383749626t-guide-rebooting-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2-1383749623587.jpg

Upvote 0
Is this the robot downloading? You may be in Download mode.
90417d1383749626t-guide-rebooting-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2-1383749623587.jpg
Hi,
If I hit the up-volume/on-off button, I can get that mode to show up. But it's pointless because the tablet is not connected to the internet, so it can't download anything. It will just sit there.
I've had it connected to my PC overnight and it is charged (not full) but it is still cycling from the blue screen to the Galaxy screen without turning on.

Upvote 0
Yeah, when you press Power and Volume Up I believe you get that robot thing- it's called Download Mode, and you can't download anything over the Internet with that, just when you connect to your PC trough a program called Odin, but that is only when you want to install or reinstall android software.
But when you press Power and Volume Down you enter into Recovery Mode. There you get menu that you can choose from and try to fix your tab.

69541d1369581562t-guide-rebooting-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2-figure_2.jpg

Read Here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-10-1/441048-reboot-system-safe.html

Reactions: injipoint
Upvote 0
AAARGH! Saw the reset instructions before scrolling down to the Safe Mode one. Never mind, something had to be done. Thanks for taking the time to help me on this.
Any ideas on what causes it? Logic says that if it won't start, then it will after a reset then it is not hardware?? Correct??
Anyway, I'll think about it some more.
Without giving personal stuff away, is Jezza81 you or a reference to Alex Jesaulenko?
Just curious.
Hoges

Upvote 0
Good logic, but do try everything before you throw it away. :) I have an issue with my Tab since the update yesterday and been searching and researching and trying things. Last resort, installing the stock Rom trough Odin. Maybe will do that today.
Jezza, its just me. Jason
Ok, it lasted one whole day before it started to cycle again. Won't start up in Safe Mode so I've done another wipe. Now I have to reload all yesterday's work.

I tried to do the system update about 3 weeks ago but (what seems to be usual with these tablets) it failed and I didn't bother retrying.

I'll try to work out if it's an app that's doing it but I doubt it as I haven't loaded any new ones for months. Thanks for the tips.

Upvote 0
I d/led the update last night/today at a bar near where I am tied up on the dock. When it tried to instal, got the usual "Failed" garbage message and told to use Kies and PC or go to a Samsung service centre. Will try the route you suggested but now actively looking for a Windows 8.1 tablet and junking this Samsung. I had a long-term policy of avoiding anything Samsung after daughter's phone failed after 4 months and no Samsung agent would lift a finger. Should have stuck to my policy.
If the Flash Stock thing works, I'll report here. Will report if it doesn't, also.
Thanks for the guide.
Hoges

Upvote 0
I d/led the update last night/today at a bar near where I am tied up on the dock. When it tried to instal, got the usual "Failed" garbage message and told to use Kies and PC or go to a Samsung service centre. Will try the route you suggested but now actively looking for a Windows 8.1 tablet and junking this Samsung. I had a long-term policy of avoiding anything Samsung after daughter's phone failed after 4 months and no Samsung agent would lift a finger. Should have stuck to my policy.
If the Flash Stock thing works, I'll report here. Will report if it doesn't, also.
Thanks for the guide.
Hoges

It should work, just find the correct firmware (Stock Rom) from Firmwares | SamMobile

Good Luck :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones