• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root xtrROM 4.5

is it worth upgrading to 4.2 or whatever the non-beta release is? does the new kernel actually get us anything?

I presume you're on 4.0.6.1 now. The main thing in MY mind that either 4.2 or 4.5 offers that 4.0.6.1 does not is the cache2cache that Zack has implemented. This gives us much more internal space for apps without having to use apps2sd. It also sounds like Zach might have figured a way to have JIT on and use Pandora, if either of those things are important to you (for me they are not).

Upvote 0
Some people have found the kernel in 4.5 beta to be laggy, the 4.2 release includes the old kernel. I have not had lag problems with the 4.5 beta. The cache2cache is great and resulted in me going from having about 30MB free memory on my phone to having 120MB free with no additional changes. This will allow you to run more apps without your phone lagging and can eliminate the need for apps2sd.

Upvote 0
Some people have found the kernel in 4.5 beta to be laggy, the 4.2 release includes the old kernel. I have not had lag problems with the 4.5 beta. The cache2cache is great and resulted in me going from having about 30MB free memory on my phone to having 120MB free with no additional changes. This will allow you to run more apps without your phone lagging and can eliminate the need for apps2sd.

I've had some slight lag on 4.5, I just download 4.2 and will flash that later today to see if it makes a difference.

Upvote 0
Behind email, the second most important thing on my phone to me is the alarm clock. It has to work and work perfectly. KaosFroyo had a massive failure today, enough to make me so mad I am ditching when I have time to. It went off, but would not shut off. Which is not cool as not everyone in my house gets up at the crack of noon like I do. It is vital that when I hit dismiss that the alarm shuts off. I had to reboot my damn phone. When you are snapped out of a sound sleep and have to fix your cell because basic functionality failed... sucks.

Upvote 0
There are two main features of 4.5 compared to 4.1. The first is cache2cache. What this does is move the dalvik-cache from the /data/ partition of the phone to the /cache/ partition of the phone. That /data/ partition is where all of the applications you install and the data for those applications go. By moving the davlik-cache, it frees up a ton of room in the /data/ partition making it so you probably don't need to move the applications to the sd card.

The second is the use of the new CFS kernel. This kernel is supposed to be faster with a little better battery life. It uses a different type of cpu governor method.

If you are happy with 4.1 and are not running out of room to install applications you probably can live without the update. But, if you could use more internal storage space it might be worth the upgrade.

Jeff

Thanks for the response Jeff....I was mistaken as I thought 4.1 also had the cache2cache....in any event I have over 20 apps and still have like 98mb of available space so guess I am ok unless I add more apps which I don't foresee right now....I'll wait to hear how everyone is doing with the 4.5....I assume the 4.5 has to be a complete wipe once again, which was a little hassle as I didn't use any app backup software and reloaded all my app..not too big a deal except for all my stocks I had on my watch list...thanks again!

Upvote 0
I ran 4.5 (with launcher pro, always) all weekend. Zero lag and slightly improved battery life (in time). This ROM, for my phone, works almost perfect. It's smooth, snappy, and is nothing too flashy. It might be the best ROM I've tried so far. It's so good that it brought me back to 2.1 when I was thoroughly enjoying 2.2.

Upvote 0
I can say one thing, it's quite snappy without setcpu. I believe the default is like 750 or so, right? Runs really smoothly.

I think the default is 710.

I just flashed this Rom last night and all I can say is wow. I've been a die hard 2.2 user for a while now, but this this is snappier and smoother than any fresh 2.2 rom I've used. I haven't even installed SetCPU and really see no reason to. Also, it never occurred to me how much I miss the predict contact when using the dial pad on the phone.

I can't speak on the battery life yet because I haven't had a chance to give it a full day's run through.

Upvote 0
I am still amazed at the battery life on this rom. I've flashed a few different roms and they have all been about the same but this one can go quite a bit longer than the others.
Yesterday at work I played the music player for 5 hours and it ran down my battery about half way, which before this rom I wouldn't get 4 hours of play out of it before it was threatening to hold me hostage for a charge.

Upvote 0
Kind of a noob question. I know that Cache2Cache is enabled on when you flash this rom. Does this mean that the cache will be automatically transferred or will I have to do anything else? I am intrigued by this ROM and will be flashing today after messing with Froyo ROMs for some time now. Tired of having to mad professor my phone to get a working camera app :)

Upvote 0
Kind of a noob question. I know that Cache2Cache is enabled on when you flash this rom. Does this mean that the cache will be automatically transferred or will I have to do anything else? I am intrigued by this ROM and will be flashing today after messing with Froyo ROMs for some time now. Tired of having to mad professor my phone to get a working camera app :)

Nope, you don't need to do anything. The cache will automatically be moved to the cache partition of the phone instead of the data partition.

It works great. I still have almost 100 megs of data after installing all of my applications. I used to be down to about 30 megs when I was finished installing everything.

Jeff

Upvote 0

As far as I can tell, you do not have to do anything to take advantage of cache2cache. I just flashed 4.2 this morning and went from 28MB of free internal space to 113MB. This is seriously excellent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones