• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root xtrROM 5.0 beta available now!

I have always run with JIT enabled in Froyo, and now in GB. It was 2.1 that is unstable with JIT, because (I believe) the actual Android code for 2.1 was not written to benefit from JIT.

There was a time when some popular apps (i.e., Pandora) would fail if you ran with JIT enabled, but I think that is long since fixed.

Upvote 0
Cool! Now that you say that, it does sound familiar as being for 2.1 vs. 2.2- 2.1 just seems like such a long time ago! Ahh, I remember the day when I got the notice for the 2.1 OTA on my phone, I was like a kid on Christmas morning. Then I rooted, and the phone's been really great ever since. I will give this JIT a try, see how she runs on the Little Eris that Could...

Upvote 0
Cool! Now that you say that, it does sound familiar as being for 2.1 vs. 2.2- 2.1 just seems like such a long time ago! Ahh, I remember the day when I got the notice for the 2.1 OTA on my phone, I was like a kid on Christmas morning. Then I rooted, and the phone's been really great ever since. I will give this JIT a try, see how she runs on the Little Eris that Could...

lol...after waiting months for the 2.1 OTA, I never actually got the pleasure of getting the OTA notice. Why, you ask? 'Cause I rooted in the first days of the 2.1 OTA roll-out :D. It was such a scary and exciting week, lol. That was my "Christmas in early May" ;).

My first ROM was Ivan's Eris Official 1.0 and it was solid and pretty-much vanilla 2.1 anyway. Wish he would have cranked-out a second version to the masses (there was a 1.1 beta...).

Cheers!

P.S. Hey, maybe we should start a "when I first rooted thread..." (I would love to hear people's stories about their rooting experiences...its fun to think back about those early days...).

Upvote 0
If you want the stock keyboard:http://zach.xtr.i6ix.com/xtrStockKeys.zip., download the link and flash in recovery. No need to do any wipes, if you like the nexus style lock screen. :http://zach.xtr.i6ix.com/xtrROM-NexusLockScreen.zip Just flash from recovery, no wipe.

I tried this, and it doesn't work on xtrROM 5, only on older versions apparently. Has anyone figured out how to get the HTC keyboard working on xtrROM 5? Because I can't stand this keyboard, and would much prefer the HTC one.

Upvote 0
I tried this, and it doesn't work on xtrROM 5, only on older versions apparently. Has anyone figured out how to get the HTC keyboard working on xtrROM 5? Because I can't stand this keyboard, and would much prefer the HTC one.

Zach has a list of items and known issues on his thread here [ROM][GPL] xtrROM5.0 odex,cache2cache,apps2sd,jit,lwp,oc[1/23/2011] - xda-developers
and the keyboard is one of them, you are correct it will NOT work on this ROM, which is the only thing making me want to go back down to the xtrROM 4.6.5.

I'm sitting here right now with my phone completely ready to flash the ROM and I checked up here hoping to find out that someone had figured that piece out for this version...I think I will go back down to the previous and see if that can't be worked out and then try again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones