• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

zenexp

Yeah, it's fast without needing to overclock.

I actually have mine underclocked at 518/245 and it works beautifully.

I really do love this ROM, enough to work around not having Gmail.

My wife is using the stock kernel version and hers is smoking fast as well.

with that said..i think i'll be flashing this tonight

but there is more than one version u can flash and i thought the kernals were already built in once you flash the rom..u can flash other kernals with this rom??

sorry for being so far behind on this..summer school is a B E A S T

well which one will give me more space for my internal memory?!?! lol :D
ZenEXP-09.6.2, then update it to .3. It doesn't need SetCPU or OC Widget.

Go here [ROM] ZenEXP-0.9.6.2 New Expresso MT3G Slide Landscape Rosie. Overclocked. Updated. - xda-developers

Scroll down to where it says ZenEXP-0.9.6.2OC Toasted: ROM

Then click on the Download link just below that. Make a nandroid of what you have now. Be sure to wipe data and dalvik, then flash the rom.

Then go to where it says: Update for ZenEXP-0.9.6.2: and download the update. The instructions here say "If you are doing a fresh install then Flash ZenEXP-0.9.6.2 first and then flash this update directly after without rebooting".

ZenEXP-09.6.2, then update it to .3. It doesn't need SetCPU or OC Widget.

Go here [ROM] ZenEXP-0.9.6.2 New Expresso MT3G Slide Landscape Rosie. Overclocked. Updated. - xda-developers

Scroll down to where it says ZenEXP-0.9.6.2OC Toasted: ROM

Then click on the Download link just below that. Make a nandroid of what you have now. Be sure to wipe data and dalvik, then flash the rom.

Then go to where it says: Update for ZenEXP-0.9.6.2: and download the update. The instructions here say "If you are doing a fresh install then Flash ZenEXP-0.9.6.2 first and then flash this update directly after without rebooting".
OK, I am o-fishlee confuzed now. I installed what I thought was the version of Zen that is OC'ed, ZenEXP-0.9.6.2OC Toasted: ROM. And when I look at the kernal version it reads "2.6.29 Godmode OC toastcfh@oldschool #65." The build number is "1.13.531.1 CL158686 test-keys ZenEXP 0.9.6.2"

It looks like I have the toasted #65 kernal, and I didn't d/l and install 09.6.2 then the update to .3 followed by the Update for ZenEXP-0.9.6.2. Was I supposed to do that? Or am I OK but still need to update to ".3"?

I removed OC widget and don't have SetCPU installed so I could see how it runs. Not as fast as with OC widget and I might try SetCPU once I figure out the above.

I'm lost.

OK, I am o-fishlee confuzed now. I installed what I thought was the version of Zen that is OC'ed, ZenEXP-0.9.6.2OC Toasted: ROM. And when I look at the kernal version it reads "2.6.29 Godmode OC toastcfh@oldschool #65." The build number is "1.13.531.1 CL158686 test-keys ZenEXP 0.9.6.2"

It looks like I have the toasted #65 kernal, and I didn't d/l and install 09.6.2 then the update to .3 followed by the Update for ZenEXP-0.9.6.2. Was I supposed to do that? Or am I OK but still need to update to ".3"?

I removed OC widget and don't have SetCPU installed so I could see how it runs. Not as fast as with OC widget and I might try SetCPU once I figure out the above.

I'm lost.

no bueno :(

I'm lost.

What's wrong with how you installed it?

If you want to go back and forth between kernels, just open Zen Updater, install the latest update of the Updater (should be Version 2.1) and then you can go to EXTRAS in the Zen Updater and select different options. Included in those is the stock kernel and Toast's #65 OC Kernel.

I'm not sure what the directions above are referring to, but that's what I did. I installed Zen2.6.2and then flashed the kernel.

EDIT: After re-reading, it seems the poster above is saying flashthe 2.6.2OC ROM first, then flash the update (2.6.2) as described from the XDA thread, sa shown below:

Update for ZenEXP-0.9.6.2: This is not a full rom it's an update to 0.9.6.2. This update will replace some libs with updated versions as well as set the default min clock speed to 245 and the max to 691 and the cpu governor to ondemand so that there is no need to use setcpu or overclock widget unless you want to use custom values. This update will also fix voice search. Flash this through recovery. No wipe required. If you are doing a fresh install then Flash ZenEXP-0.9.6.2 first and then flash this update directly after without rebooting.

Also, once you flash the Zen rom, you can do almost everything from the Zen Updater on your phone (included when you flash it). You can roll back to older or experimental version of Zen as well.

If you want to go back and forth between kernels, just open Zen Updater, install the latest update of the Updater (should be Version 2.1) and then you can go to EXTRAS in the Zen Updater and select different options. Included in those is the stock kernel and Toast's #65 OC Kernel.

I'm not sure what the directions above are referring to, but that's what I did. I installed Zen2.6.2and then flashed the kernel.

EDIT: After re-reading, it seems the poster above is saying flashthe 2.6.2OC ROM first, then flash the update (2.6.2) as described from the XDA thread, sa shown below:

Update for ZenEXP-0.9.6.2: This is not a full rom it's an update to 0.9.6.2. This update will replace some libs with updated versions as well as set the default min clock speed to 245 and the max to 691 and the cpu governor to ondemand so that there is no need to use setcpu or overclock widget unless you want to use custom values. This update will also fix voice search. Flash this through recovery. No wipe required. If you are doing a fresh install then Flash ZenEXP-0.9.6.2 first and then flash this update directly after without rebooting.

Also, once you flash the Zen rom, you can do almost everything from the Zen Updater on your phone (included when you flash it). You can roll back to older or experimental version of Zen as well.

Correct! 0.9.6.2 is fine, .3 (also known as "Update for ZenEXP-0.9.6.2) is just an update to that rom. .2 and .3 don't require the OC widget or setcpu, the kernel is already pre-set to overclock when awake, and underclock when sleeping.

Zen updater is great! Be sure to update the updater to version 2.1. There are many extras available to change/customize things (Be sure to make a nandroid before making any changes) (My favorite is the disabling of the menu menu awake feature. No more pocket dials! You can also flash an update that changes the icons/shortcuts to look more Android and less iPhone.

so this is a bit weird... i'm trying to charge my phone after flashing Zen and doing the updates etc, but it won't charge, the red LED is on, the indicator is showing it is charging, but it isn't charging, it's still at the same value it was when i first put it to charge 2 hrs ago... any ideas?

so this is a bit weird... i'm trying to charge my phone after flashing Zen and doing the updates etc, but it won't charge, the red LED is on, the indicator is showing it is charging, but it isn't charging, it's still at the same value it was when i first put it to charge 2 hrs ago... any ideas?

Shut down, pull the battery for a few seconds, pop it back in and start 'er up.

If you've already tried that, may want to do a Nandroid restoe, or reflash and see if that fixes things.

Shut down, pull the battery for a few seconds, pop it back in and start 'er up.

If you've already tried that, may want to do a Nandroid restoe, or reflash and see if that fixes things.

i will try that for sure, thanks for the help! I shut it down before, but never pulled the battery. the weird thing was, that the battery didnt drain while it was connected to the charger, just wouldn't go up.

OK, so do I still need to update to ".3"? Sounds like I do need to install that update though because it will fix voice search and mine just FC's every time.

Oh, how do I update to ".3" in the updater?

Correct! 0.9.6.2 is fine, .3 (also known as "Update for ZenEXP-0.9.6.2) is just an update to that rom. .2 and .3 don't require the OC widget or setcpu, the kernel is already pre-set to overclock when awake, and underclock when sleeping.

Zen updater is great! Be sure to update the updater to version 2.1. There are many extras available to change/customize things (Be sure to make a nandroid before making any changes) (My favorite is the disabling of the menu menu awake feature. No more pocket dials! You can also flash an update that changes the icons/shortcuts to look more Android and less iPhone.
How do I stop the menu menu awake feature with the updater?

On the top of the updater there are 4 tabs, click on the one all the way to the right called "extras."
Thanks, that is great not having the phone just wake up from errant presses on "Menu." I also updated to ".3," so now voice search works too!

This is by far the best and fastest ROM I have tried yet. Now I just need to get familiar with SetCPU and figure out good settings.

Sorry to go over this again guys but I am having trouble with getting voicemails. When I go the Zen updater it only is giving me 3 tabs and not one of them is extras. The 3 tabs in my updater are Roms, Themes, and Existing. I may be missing something simple here. Any help is appreciated.

P
Sorry to go over this again guys but I am having trouble with getting voicemails. When I go the Zen updater it only is giving me 3 tabs and not one of them is extras. The 3 tabs in my updater are Roms, Themes, and Existing. I may be missing something simple here. Any help is appreciated.

Update the updater to 2.1.

I see said the blind man....I am pretty new to this stuff, just rooted 2 days ago and been trying different Roms. I really like Zen, just trying to get this voicemail and text message thing figured out.

Alright, I think I almost have this goose cooked. I have got my vvm up and running, downloaded handcent to try to blacklist the 9016 text alerts to voicemail.

Here comes the question....How do I blacklist the 9016 number? I can see the blacklist but how to you add a number to it?

Thanks in advance

Any help with this?

Try another wipe, so in the recovery wipe the main and the dalvik, then reflash and see if that works, sometimes you need to reflash if it didn't install correctly.

Alright, I think I almost have this goose cooked. I have got my vvm up and running, downloaded handcent to try to blacklist the 9016 text alerts to voicemail.

Here comes the question....How do I blacklist the 9016 number? I can see the blacklist but how to you add a number to it?

Thanks in advance

In the thread ciew where it lists all your current "chats", long press on the 9016 and it will give you a pop up, blacklist will be there. The only issue that I've had is even though it's blacklisted it still shows an unread text at my handcent icon, kinda sucks, but still worth it for this rom imo.

Thanks in advance
Reply to the message from 9016, with any gibberish...Then go to the message that you replied to, the one that notified you of the voicemail, hold your finger on it to bring up the on screen menu and choose Blacklist. You will now blacklist this sender.

The only issue that I've had is even though it's blacklisted it still shows an unread text at my handcent icon, kinda sucks, but still worth it for this rom imo.
Yeah, I noticed that as well, you can go into the stock messaging app and delete that thread from there, if you want, or maybe you can just pull down your notification bar and hit "clear notifictions"?? haven't tried the latter.

Here is a new fix! If you don't want to use Handcent, and/or don't like the unread notifications in Handcent, try this!

Download aFirewall from the market. Then set it to blacklist sms from 9016. I have handcent, and blacklisted 9016 in both apps. Now I have no SMS building up in the stock app and still get the VM notification. You still get a flashing led for missed calls.

Here is a new fix! If you don't want to use Handcent, and/or don't like the unread notifications in Handcent, try this!

Download aFirewall from the market. Then set it to blacklist sms from 9016. I have handcent, and blacklisted 9016 in both apps. Now I have no SMS building up in the stock app and still get the VM notification. You still get a flashing led for missed calls.

LMAO, I was just going to copy your post at XDA and paste it here :p. Going to give it a try right now, any idea about the cpu/battery drain using aFirewall?

*EDIT* I DL-ed it and can confirm voicemails go through and totally block 9016 texts.

chart
Free Version, blocked calls go to voicemail, this is sufficient if all you want to do is block 9016.

chart
Paid Version, $1.99 usd, allows blocked calls to forward to blank number or pick up and hang up so it avoids voicemail.

OK, after reading all the great stuff about ZenEXP, I'm thinking about rooting for the very first time (though the Gmail push issue has me concerned). I'm still 1.5

I've read about rooting way long ago with Fresh ,etc. BUT, I'm totally freaked on how to do this with ZenEXP, not having rooted before.

Could anyone provide a step by step guide to do this with Zen?

Thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom