• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Remove bloatware

No, should I do one for some reason?

Well, the problem with BackupAssist or whatever it's called only occurred, if I recall, when a factory reset was done. Everything seemed fine until then. I'm just wondering if some of the other apps people/I want to delete might do something similar. I've uninstalled CityID, AmazonMP3, Blockbuster, and Skype. Afterward (why is it always _after_) it dawned on me that CityID might (but probably doesn't) cause the same problems.

Upvote 0
Well, the problem with BackupAssist or whatever it's called only occurred, if I recall, when a factory reset was done. Everything seemed fine until then. I'm just wondering if some of the other apps people/I want to delete might do something similar. I've uninstalled CityID, AmazonMP3, Blockbuster, and Skype. Afterward (why is it always _after_) it dawned on me that CityID might (but probably doesn't) cause the same problems.

That's why I'm going to leave Backup assistant there, I'm not even going to bother freezing it.

Upvote 0
I'm doing a factory reset now. All of the apps that I listed in one of the previous posts have been frozen and then deleted prior to the reset.

Edit: I did the factory reset and did not have a problem. Here is the list of apps that I froze and then deleted, with Titanium Backup, prior to the reset:

Kindle
Amazon MP3
City ID
Blockbuster
Weather 2.1
Emergency Alert
Corporate Directory
3G Hotspot
Home Screen Tips
My Verizon
Email 2.1 (I only use gmail)
FM Radio 2.1
FMRadioServices
Help Center
Messages 2.1
Messaging 2.1
News
Social Messaging 2.1
Social Messaging Services
Social Network
Social Sharing
Social Status
VPN Services

Upvote 0
I'm doing a factory reset now. All of the apps that I listed in one of the previous posts have been frozen and then deleted prior to the reset.

Edit: I did the factory reset and did not have a problem. Here is the list of apps that I froze and then deleted, with Titanium Backup, prior to the reset:

Kindle
Amazon MP3
City ID
Blockbuster
Weather 2.1
Emergency Alert
Corporate Directory
3G Hotspot
Home Screen Tips
My Verizon
Email 2.1
FM Radio 2.1
FMRadioServices
Help Center
Messages 2.1
Messaging 2.1
News
Social Messaging 2.1
Social Messaging Services
Social Network
Social Sharing
Social Status
VPN Services

You ballsy, magnificent bastard. Good work.

Upvote 0
I was just wondering, I am really trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. Because it seems like everyone has their different ways. Especially since some people can't buy root explorer or the Licensed version of TiBu.

TiBU is real simple to use, I've frozen and then deleted 24 stock apps and I just did a factory reset, everything is work fine. Now I just need to download all of my apps and customize my phone again...:rolleyes:

Reactions: chrlswltrs
Upvote 0
TiBU is real simple to use, I've frozen and then deleted 24 stock apps and I just did a factory reset, everything is work fine. Now I just need to download all of my apps and customize my phone again...:rolleyes:

Thanks for being the brave one. I didn't want to after I bricked my phone yesterday and had to replace it due to backup assistant.

The only question I still have is if backup assistant is frozen but still present will it brick?? I have it frozen but will definitely thaw before an update or factory reset or anything.

Upvote 0
eh?

thought i saw mid- to late-august elsewhere.

Someone posted a link here today and the article stated late July for the DX froyo release.

It was already released a month ago for another phone, wasn't it?

That would still make the D2 as the first Moto phone shipped with it installed, keeping that statement truth.

If the relese is that close, I'm not going to bother spending the time rooting, and hunting down bloatware. I have plenty to learn in the next few weeks already.

Upvote 0
Thanks for being the brave one. I didn't want to after I bricked my phone yesterday and had to replace it due to backup assistant.

The only question I still have is if backup assistant is frozen but still present will it brick?? I have it frozen but will definitely thaw before an update or factory reset or anything.

Not a problem, just trying to be helpful. But...I'm not going to be the one to mess around with Backup Assistant, someone else can have that honor.:D

Upvote 0
Do you guys actually see a performance or battery life difference after removing the bloatware?

I haven't touched any of it yet and I wasn't going to unless it makes a noticeable difference.

I would love to see an answer for this. I can live with the apps just sitting there, but if I can get a performance increase by deleting them, I'll make the plunge

So, anyone that has deleted/frozen apps, is it for aesthetic purposes, or does it actually help your battery life/overall snappiness of the phone?

Upvote 0
has anyone else noticed a dramitc increase in battery life with all the bloatware removed? I personally have noticed a huge improvement over the already good battery life. I am sitting at 80% and holding. Been using it heavily today and the battery life has barely moved. Only difference is that I rooted it last night and uninstalled all the bloatware. Either way I'm thrilled!

Upvote 0
Do you mind to post your list of removed bloatware?
has anyone else noticed a dramitc increase in battery life with all the bloatware removed? I personally have noticed a huge improvement over the already good battery life. I am sitting at 80% and holding. Been using it heavily today and the battery life has barely moved. Only difference is that I rooted it last night and uninstalled all the bloatware. Either way I'm thrilled!

Upvote 0

city id wont do that to your phone backup assistant does it because it is part of the set up and if there is nothing there for the phone to look at it is the reason it "bricks" the phone

Upvote 0
I have removed:

• amazonmp3_1.7.22_signed_zipaligned
  • WeatherWidget
  • WorkContacts
  • redding-7648-signed-zipped (Kindle)
  • ZoomService
  • VisualizationWallpapers
  • UniversalInbox
  • VoiceCommands
  • Visualization
  • VideoPlayer (if you don't plan on playing back your recorded vids)
  • TtsService (will leave you without voice navigation - which I hate anyway
    smile.png
  • ToggleWidgets
  • StickyNoteWidget
  • Swype
  • SoundRecorder
  • StatusWidget
  • Skype_mobile.live
  • ScreenReader
  • QuickOffice
  • QuickContactWidget
  • PicoTts - same as above w/ navigation
  • PhotoWidget
  • CityID
  • Calculator
  • BlurEmail
  • DLNA
  • AudioEffectSettings
  • CarDock
  • Blockbuster
  • Gmail
  • GmailProvider
  • Stk
  • FMRadio
  • ClockWidget
  • HelpCenter
  • Dock
  • LiveWallpapers
  • LiveWallpapersPicker
  • MagicSmokeWallpaper
  • MessagesWidget
  • Messaging - I use google voice, so I don't need it
  • Mynet
  • MyVerizon
  • NewsWidget
  • MediaSync
  • ArcVideoEditorLite
  • VoiceSearch
  • Vvm
  • MotoGAL
  • cmas
  • YouTube
  • FriendFeed
  • BlurSNMessagingEngine
  • SocialMessaging
  • BlurEmailEngine
  • HomeSyncWizard
  • FMRadioService
  • Protips
  • BlurUpdater
  • Conversations
And a few others without issues so far. You can also rm BlurHome but you'll want to do so after adding a home replacement. Also, I'm not sure what removing BlurHome does w/ a factory reset. As for the ones listed above, I was also able to perform a factory reset without having the semi-brick issue that has been mentioned. Obviously, do this at your own risk!
smile.png

Upvote 0
Did you ever change the extension from .apk to .bak or anything before you did the backup? Try it on an app that is currently installed, and was definitely backed up, because it definitely works in the free version.

Or just try, click on an app, click backup, and then click on the app again and see if restore is available.

Yes the backup works on the free version. You'll just hate yourself for not buying the paid version when you try to do the restore. :D
It'll run you through all the same prompts you get when installing an app and there will be hundreds of apps to restore/install them all. The paid version restores the same as the backup. Press run and watch it work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones