• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Remove bloatware

So with Titanium Backup.... once you do the backup it saves the TAR files off to the default save dir. If for some reason you need to restore I presume you can just extract the TAR again...... or are we lacking the restore ability?

Titanium Backup will do the restore for you. They are saved in the default folder, and then when you click on an app (in Titanium) there will be a button to restore, and you can chose app only, or app & data.

Titanium Backup will do the restore for you. They are saved in the default folder, and then when you click on an app (in Titanium) there will be a button to restore, and you can chose app only, or app & data.

Is that only available in the donate version? When I click on the app in the backup/restore area it just shows the detail and "Not Installed". Unless I'm missing something which could be possible this early in the AM.

Is that only available in the donate version? When I click on the app in the backup/restore area it just shows the detail and "Not Installed". Unless I'm missing something which could be possible this early in the AM.

Did you ever change the extension from .apk to .bak or anything before you did the backup? Try it on an app that is currently installed, and was definitely backed up, because it definitely works in the free version.

Or just try, click on an app, click backup, and then click on the app again and see if restore is available.

Did you ever change the extension from .apk to .bak or anything before you did the backup? Try it on an app that is currently installed, and was definitely backed up, because it definitely works in the free version.

Or just try, click on an app, click backup, and then click on the app again and see if restore is available.

The restore works if I don't uninstall the application. But what's the point in that? lol I doubt I will ever need to restore the few I removed but I was just wondering if I had to how would I do it.

The restore works if I don't uninstall the application. But what's the point in that? lol I doubt I will ever need to restore the few I removed but I was just wondering if I had to how would I do it.

Lol, no no the restore should work if the app is uninstalled, but if it is uninstalled when you did the backup, then it won't work, but if you back up, then uninstall, the restore should work.

Lol, no no the restore should work if the app is uninstalled, but if it is uninstalled when you did the backup, then it won't work, but if you back up, then uninstall, the restore should work.

That's exactly what I did.... backup, un-install, tap on the application and it shows the backup but there is no restore button like there is before the application is removed.

EDIT: Just tested with "UrbanSpoon" and it worked out fine. hmmmmmm. I wonder if it is because of the apps I removed weren't really installed (amazon mp3 and kindle), just install links? I'm going to try with the 3g hotspot.

EDIT2: I just figured it out. For some reason the bloat apps only are backing up data, not data and application because they are system apps. :D

so can we get a full list of .apks we can delete??
i think this would really help everyone who wants to get rid of the crap

I am also waiting for a "safe to delete" list to be published. A few people are reporting problems after deleting things other than backup assistant, so I'm not touching any bloatware until a credible source confirms a list.

I've backed up and uninstalled the following apps using Titanium Backup and have not had any problems. I've done quite a few reboots just to see if problems arise and things have been fine. If anything my X goes through the boot process faster than before.

Kindle
Amazon MP3
City ID
Blockbuster
Weather 2.1
Emergency Alert
Corporate Directory
3G Mobile Hotspot
Home Screen Tips
Skype Mobile
Swype
My Verizon

Edit: I do not use any "social Network" stuff so last night I froze the following apps and then uninstalled them this morning. Everything has been working fine.

Social Messaging 2.1
Social Messaging Service
Social Networking
Social Sharing
Social Status

Need some help here guys - did the noob thing and deleted backup assistant and restored. Was able to re-installed it but every time I open up my messaging it just opens quick and closes out - should i do another wipe/restore now that I have it installed?
Thanks,

Would it be possible for someone to export all the original apks into a single package? I've already deleted some so I can't do it. I just think it'd be a nice resource for rooters.

Need some help here guys - did the noob thing and deleted backup assistant and restored. Was able to re-installed it but every time I open up my messaging it just opens quick and closes out - should i do another wipe/restore now that I have it installed?
Thanks,

You could try force stopping it
menu
settings
applications
find it
force stop

actually did a restore and I am completely missing the launcher??? WTF I can install adw but that does not give me messaging back.

If someone could do a

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/mtd/mtdblock4 /system
adb pull /system/app/messaging.apk messaging.apk
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/mtd/mtdblock4 /system

And then post the apk that should work
I can't do it

Forgive my ignorance and my first post. Deleting is never a good idea. When working in the IT world, you learn to never shift delete but just delete. Let it sit in recycle bin for a while. Also renaming the apk's sounds great as the widgets are no longer in use but now they are taking up space on the phone.

Wouldn't it be best to move the apk's off the phone and put them on the computer or move them onto the SD card? If that's possible, that seems like the best option. Would that be something like a mv /system/blockbuster.apk /sdcard/backup

forgive my weak linux-fu skills.

Forgive my ignorance and my first post. Deleting is never a good idea. When working in the IT world, you learn to never shift delete but just delete. Let it sit in recycle bin for a while. Also renaming the apk's sounds great as the widgets are no longer in use but now they are taking up space on the phone.

Wouldn't it be best to move the apk's off the phone and put them on the computer or move them onto the SD card? If that's possible, that seems like the best option. Would that be something like a mv /system/blockbuster.apk /sdcard/backup

forgive my weak linux-fu skills.

This should work. You would have to do a
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/mtd/mtdblock4 /system
first to make the system r/w
I think I would: "adb pull system/app/blockbuster.apk appbackup" on my computer

Would it be possible for someone to export all the original apks into a single package? I've already deleted some so I can't do it. I just think it'd be a nice resource for rooters.

Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

systemapp.zip has all of the original apks in system/app

Also, I just used root explorer to rename any bloat I don't want from .apk to .bak. That way there is no deleting and you can easily get them back if needed.

So is there a way to remove Blur with just root access? I know you cant put on ROMs. Also can you remove stock apps like email and alarm or are they a part of the system?

So is there a way to remove Blur with just root access? I know you cant put on ROMs. Also can you remove stock apps like email and alarm or are they a part of the system?

They are part of the system. Just rename them with .bak at the end with root explorer

Since they are saying we'll see froyo within the week, and it'll wipe out all of this anyway, isn't it kinda silly to mess with it now?

I figure I'll wait till froyo, and then consider rooting and removing bloatware.

Back
Top Bottom