• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible Battery Fix from HTC

After seeing the tip about up time versus awake time in another thread, I saw mine were the same. I uninstalled about a dozen apps, did a power down reset of the phone (power off, battery out), and presto, the up time versus awake time is now behaving correctly.

I will watch my battery drain today and if it is back to normal then start re-installing apps one or two at a time to see if I can narrow down which specific app(s) were guilty.

Upvote 0
Ok so I went to bed with a full charge and kept it unplugged woke up to like 76 I think then I talked for 15-20 minutes surfed the web while laying in bed and read a couple emails. I am now at 41% battery left and it says up time 57:46 and awake time 30:45 it that good or not? It says 9 hours since unplugged. Sorry I can't do a screen shot but it says cell standby 25 wifi 22 idle 20 Android 14 voice call 14 and display 5.

Someone said turn off background data for an hour too and I just realized mine had still been off so I turned it back on. But I am thinking my up time and awake time that if my uptime says 57:50 shouldn't my awake time be much less then 30:49 I don't fully understand it or what it should be. I am just assuming that since there close in time that's not good.

Upvote 0
I did a factory reset (not of the SD card, though) and pulled my battery and my phone is again sleeping. I'm not sure what fixed it -- I'm hoping it is pulling the battery, and I'll test that out on my wife's phone tonight.

If this all works, then maybe I can get my EVO back on track. Still, erasing all my settings sure did hurt, especially since I just got the phone the way I wanted it. Oh well.

I'll update in a few days when I find out the results of all these tests...

Upvote 0
I did a factory reset (not of the SD card, though) and pulled my battery and my phone is again sleeping. I'm not sure what fixed it -- I'm hoping it is pulling the battery, and I'll test that out on my wife's phone tonight.

If this all works, then maybe I can get my EVO back on track. Still, erasing all my settings sure did hurt, especially since I just got the phone the way I wanted it. Oh well.

I'll update in a few days when I find out the results of all these tests...

It does suck to wipe all your settings out. Been there and done that. But keep in mind that there are apps to help you for the next time you want to wipe your phone.

1.) MyBackUp Plus. 5 Bucks in the market and you can save your apps and your settings along with MMS/ SMS/ Call logs ect ect... Its well worth it during times like this.

2.) LauncherPro Plus. I got it when it was like 2 or 3 bucks. Not sure if he raised it yet like he said he was going to but there is a back up feature on there. It saves all your widget locations and app locations for your home screens.

This way when you do a hard reset you go into the market, re-download MyBackUp, do a restore of all settings (Takes 5 min to do restore) then you download LP+ and do a restore and that takes all of 30 seconds and BAM your back in business like it never happened.

Thats what i did when i did my last Hard Reset.

Upvote 0
Ok so I went to bed with a full charge and kept it unplugged woke up to like 76 I think then I talked for 15-20 minutes surfed the web while laying in bed and read a couple emails. I am now at 41% battery left and it says up time 57:46 and awake time 30:45 it that good or not? It says 9 hours since unplugged. Sorry I can't do a screen shot but it says cell standby 25 wifi 22 idle 20 Android 14 voice call 14 and display 5.

Someone said turn off background data for an hour too and I just realized mine had still been off so I turned it back on. But I am thinking my up time and awake time that if my uptime says 57:50 shouldn't my awake time be much less then 30:49 I don't fully understand it or what it should be. I am just assuming that since there close in time that's not good.

I too am having the same problem. I'm using the .3 unofficial update, BTW.

What I did notice was that powering off and turning the phone back on fixes that "awake time" problem, but ONLY temporarily.

I notice this problem when using the USB charger. I also read that some other users are having the same problem when on the USB charger.

If I plug in my phone into the USB charger, the awake time keeps on running. If I disconnect the phone from the charger, within 5 minutes or so, the awake time stops running when I shut off the screen.

However, the awake time problem keeps running when I charge the phone via USB for an extended period of time (15-30 minutes) and then remove it from the charger.

If I charge via AC adapter, the problem does not come back, AND if the screen is off, the awake time stops counting.

It sounds like a few people have a similar problem.

FYI. In my case: Hard resets don't work. Removing apps doesn't work either. Turning off the phone is only a temporary fix.

Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, Just received 3 evos yesterday for the fam and got them updated to the new 2.2 Official ( :( didn't think to root them first)...

Anyways.. I tried the battery trick and the network trick in these post but they were both working fine as soon as I got it. The battery had no lag between green and orange and it was already on CDMA. I wonder if HTC already "Fixed" these problems

Upvote 0
5h 13m since unplugged, 22% battery remaining. In 2.1, I'd have somewhere near 90%.

The awake time to sleep time is a 1:1 match.

My phone isn't going to sleep anymore.

What do you mean by not going to sleep anymore? Do you mean the screen isn't going black?

My battery life is also sucking so I am trying to figure it out. Just went back and disabled Google talk, etc.

Upvote 0
So what if I'm still getting over 50% time without service even after doing the network trick? Is this draining my battery abnormally? At work I fluctuate from 1-3 bars and keep 3g on and wifi off. Just sitting there with the screen off it may drop 2% per hour, but as soon as I pick it up and go online, it drops up to 5% every 15 minutes when using it.

I only have my gmail, twitter, and facebook update every hour. Nothing else. I followed all of EarlyMon's great tips, so I'm at a loss.

This is on the "official" 2.2 update, rooted. Fresh flash after clearing all data, and didnt restore any backups, just started from scratch.

Upvote 0
So for people that got the real update on Tuesday and not the unoffical one is it a different build? Or is it the same .3 one that we got over the weekend? I just think my battery is worse but I have 4 so I guess I'm not to worried about it. But my phone drains much quicker at work then it used to. And when I end stuff in system the same apps and more come back. But if we got the unofficial one and the one Tuesday was different can we get that one too? Cause my phone says there no updates available.

Upvote 0
Not sure why but my battery has sucked for the last week. Never had a problem before and now my battery will die in about 5 hours. Went into work this morning at 10am and had a meeting until 3pm. Phone was dead. Barely used the internet. It has been going into roam alot lately. Going to take to sprint to see what's up.

Upvote 0
Mine seems worse since the upgrade. But I have version .3 and they say the one people got on Tuesday is version .6. I don't know but my battery drains much faster now.

I am bummed after loading Froyo that I still have the issue with the "trickle charge" not working...I loose 12% of battery once I first unplug it in like 10min of use. Anyone else still have this issue? Anyone find or hear of a fix coming? I dont know someone personally who has an EVO and doesnt have this issue.

Upvote 0
Whoa! I went to bed at midnight, with the phone on the PC charged to full so i took it off the pc and left it on the desk. 9 hours later I am at 17%. It was only sitting on the deak all night. No 4G, no Wifi, no BT. Froyo has been installed and I have never seen it get this low this fast.
Time to re-read this thread. Already installed the FB update and disabled Google Talk.

One thing I now notice is when on the PC to charge, the screen will come on all by itself. I will hit the power button to turn the screen off and a few minutes later it comes back on. This happens over and over all the time. I wonder if it does that off the cable, all night.

<edit>
Hmm, my phone says it has been awake for 37 hours and up for 59 hours.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I am bummed after loading Froyo that I still have the issue with the "trickle charge" not working...I loose 12% of battery once I first unplug it in like 10min of use. Anyone else still have this issue? Anyone find or hear of a fix coming? I dont know someone personally who has an EVO and doesnt have this issue.

I lose 5-6% when I unplug the phone...within 5 minutes

Upvote 0
Well I power cycled my phone off and on. I let everything startup as usual. Only thing I didn't do was launch the updated Facebook app. I do have the widget running on the homescreen but didn't use it. I used the phone to browse the web, send text messages, watch some videos, and make some calls. Went to bed last night with the phone unplugged and 45% battery life. Woke up this morning with 43% battery life and the awake time at 12 hours and up time at 3 hours. I made some calls and browsed the web also. My battery life is currently at 31% and phone was unplugged for a little over 10 hours. This is with intensive usage. My conclusion is if you don't open the updated Facebook app, your phone will sleep normally. With same usage with the app open I get at best a tad over 5 hours. Those that got the update for Facebook try installing the update or not opening the app (dont use the widget either) and comparing the battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones