• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the EVO 4G get the "NEW" HTC Sense?

According to HTC "chief" over here (nordic) HTCsense.com will NOT be given to any, but owners of the new handsets (nor the new sense ui). So basically they shafted every recent owner. My Desire is 2 weeks "old". This blows.

I'm not surprised at all. That's why I mentioned root earlier in the thread. Htc is not going to give all the goodies to all their phones. If they give the evo all the extras, why would you buy another phone. If I had to guess, gingerbread will be the same sense that we have now. Hopefully gingerbread will have some great enhancements and sense won't be necessary.

Upvote 0
There was a list of phones that would get the upgrades (the EVO was one of them) the phones have to be running a certain hardware to qualify for the new sense upgrade..

If I remember correctly there was only four current phones on the list

Will they change and not upgrade current phones to the new sense? that is anyones guess.

Upvote 0
There was a list of phones that would get the upgrades (the EVO was one of them) the phones have to be running a certain hardware to qualify for the new sense upgrade..

If I remember correctly there was only four current phones on the list

Will they change and not upgrade current phones to the new sense? that is anyones guess.

Where was this list? I'm really interested in the New HTC Sense stuff... and I reallllly hope we get it too!!

Upvote 0
the only people with an excuse for whining about updates are hero owners. i was a hero owner, but i'm not kicking sand to complain about this. I got evo on launch day, we got froyo in a month among other updates and remain the flagship phone despite launch of the Epic. We'll get the new sense, 95% sure of it.

I've mentioned this a couple times but no one seemed to respond, but I have an idea about how HTC and Motorola/et al can proceed with using their skins while curing the fragmentation issues: Give the option to update to new versions of android like 3.0 when its available and then work on skinning it. Make the first one a manual .zip update to download off the website instead of an OTA so the uninformed dont accept it thinking they'll get the update with sense. Then push out an update with the updated version that is skinned. That would pretty much end the constant bitching about it by providing a choice.

Upvote 0
I've mentioned this a couple times but no one seemed to respond, but I have an idea about how HTC and Motorola/et al can proceed with using their skins while curing the fragmentation issues: Give the option to update to new versions of android like 3.0 when its available and then work on skinning it. Make the first one a manual .zip update to download off the website instead of an OTA so the uninformed dont accept it thinking they'll get the update with sense. Then push out an update with the updated version that is skinned. That would pretty much end the constant bitching about it by providing a choice.

Brilliant!

Upvote 0
Brilliant!

appreciate the recognition :) if they gave the choice to require a few steps like downloading off the website, transfer to SD card then flash an AOSP update (which would be very simple for the type of user that wants AOSP) or let users wait for an OTA update with Sense on it (which most users would be okay with) then it would be a simple fix. All they'd have to do is adapt the 3.0 update to Evo's hardware/display to release an AOSP...which they have to do anyway in the process of putting Sense on top.

im filing this idea under 'it makes so much sense (lol) that its likely to never be done'

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones