• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO SCREEN SHATTERRED.. BEST BUY GEEK SQAUD REPAIR expiereince!

took me over 6 weeks to get my phone back from Best Buy. Worst experience ever!

I mentioned above, I think, that is took me 21 days. I believe there is literally a WRITTEN POLICY that if they cannot return the phone within 30 days, it is deemed JUNKED and you should....SHOULD....receive a NEW PHONE.

Did you?? If not, you need to inquire!!

Upvote 0
Reactions: quijibo
Upvote 0
I mentioned above, I think, that is took me 21 days. I believe there is literally a WRITTEN POLICY that if they cannot return the phone within 30 days, it is deemed JUNKED and you should....SHOULD....receive a NEW PHONE.

Did you?? If not, you need to inquire!!

When I called one of the geekheads told me it was 30 days from the day they ordered the part... After the 30 days from ordering the part was over. They said I could pick up a new phone but there was no Evos in any of the stores. He said I could get another phone but I told him it would be a down grade and he basically told me oh well! It was one of the worst experiences I have ever had with a store. 6 weeks! Unexceptionable! :mad:

Upvote 0
my screen was all cracked. Lucky I had the Best Buy insurance...so I took it in on Tuesday. They will either fix or replace. A friend had the same thing happen & it was about 30 days before he got his Evo back.

Wondering...I have read a few threads about new screens....will my Evo get the new screen?

I know the screen is big....but it is more susceptible to cracking than other phones?

Thanks for any info!

Upvote 0
This brings up a question I have about Sprint's insurance.

I did not see a $100 deductible mentioned when I added it to my order...but I suppose I can live with that.

What did confuse me though is how to add the insurance.

There are 3 options.

$4- Mechanical insurance (basically an extended warranty to cover hardware defects)
$4- Loss insurance (insurance against loss, theft, or damage)
$7- A combination of the other two plans

So here's where I am confused:

If I only get the $4 plan for loss, theft, or damage, but I have a mechanical problem...can I just break (or lose) the phone and get a replacement for $100? I suppose if there is a mechanical problem, there is no $100 deductible? Is that the only way to justify spending more money on the hardware portion of their plans?

Also, is it a $100 deductible regardless of if I am on the $7 plan or the $4 replacement plan?

Upvote 0
You can't split the insurance up anymore. You must but both policies at $7.00 a month.

I just posted on another insurance thread that I just got a quote from my homeowners agent. He quoted me $18 a YEAR for $600 worth of coverage on my Evo and a $100 deductible. The great thing other than the price is I would get a BRAND NEW Evo, not a refurb.

It seems that amazon.com's ordering guide for Sprint needs revising. I was able to select the $4 replacement plan only. I suppose when I call to activate the phone, they'll tell me that I need to buy them both.

Amazon tried to sell me a 2 year insurance plan that covers everything for $99. I opted out of that because I liked Sprint's option better. I'll have to re-evaluate things now that you've told me I have to get the $7 insurance plan.

A quick question about that...if there is a mechanical problem with the phone, do I still pay $100 deductible for the repair/replacement? Or is that deductible only applicable for lost/stolen/damaged phones?

Upvote 0
I'm so frustrated with how Best Buy do business with their Geek Squad Black Tie Protection Program. They make it too much of a hassle, as opposed of how they do their sales pitch on it. First the Geek Squad guy told me, that it's okay to exchange it with sprint under their manufacturer's warranty, I told him that I called Best Buy Customer Support and was informed that I cannot exchange it. He reasoned that it doesn't make sense because the only time that my phone will be on record is when he punches the serial number of the phone on the computer. Being a little bit frustrated I told him, I'm fine with that, but I have to confirm by calling Best Buy CS, he then said to wait so he can ask his manager. After a few minutes he came back and said that I was correct. Imagine if I had accepted his advice and just went ahead and replaced the phone then if something happened to that phone I would find out that they won't be honoring what the guy at geek squad has said?

After that, he transferred me to a Mobile Sales representative who informed me that the *minimum* turn around time is at least 30 days, and if I want to have a phone while my phone is in service I should fork over a $150 deposit for a freaking cheapo phone that isn't even an Android Phone! These guys never told me about $150 deposit while they were pitching the GSBTPP to me. And they mis-informed me that the turn-around time was 2 weeks isntead of the minimum 30 days they are not telling me. It's so frustrating, and I'm angry at myself for believing all the BS this guys were telling me. I was even promoting the GSBTPP warranty. But now I would advice to get another one instead!

I'm calling sprint to go ahead and note that I will be availing the Dispatched phone they already sent but I ask to be noted that I'm sending the replacement phone back. I already called BB Customer Care to inform them on my cancellation, but they told me it's after 7PM already and I have to call back tomorrow. *GROAN*

Best Buy can rest assure that I won't be back in their stores any time soon!

Reactions: DarkNeo
Upvote 0
I'm on the same boat mate, I wonder if Sprint will grant me the insurance when the replacement phone comes.

I was promoting BB's insurance up to today. I should've believed all the others who adivced not to. BB can kiss my @$$! Best Buy is great when they are selling, but their after sales support sucks bad! I'm still very angry with them!

Upvote 0
I got suckered into getting it too. They told me if something happened to my phone, I would get a new one on the spot. Now Im hearing stories about having the phone repaired and waiting weeks for it. They never said anything about repairs and replacement of parts, they just said I would get a new phone. I guess if I ever go in for my squeaky volume buttons, I'll make sure to run my phone over with my car and make its unrepairable!

Upvote 0
Wow,im still trying to understand how this kinda screen damage even occurred while being housed in that innocase,unless the floor surface that made contact with the screen wasn't level.thinking it might just be a case of basic scratch protection but not much in the way of any shock protection that a regular silicone case would give.

Upvote 0
my screen was all cracked. Lucky I had the Best Buy insurance...so I took it in on Tuesday. They will either fix or replace. A friend had the same thing happen & it was about 30 days before he got his Evo back.

Wondering...I have read a few threads about new screens....will my Evo get the new screen?

I know the screen is big....but it is more susceptible to cracking than other phones?

Thanks for any info!

With my cracked screen, I believe what they replace is TWO pieces...the place "frame" I'll call it where it says HTC top left, Sprint top right and your home/menu/back/search buttons on the bottom PLUS the glass. I saw online after my phone came from repair some forum listing the PARTS that one could buy to "DIY" repair the phone if you were skilled to do so but can't find the information...

AHHHH JUST FOUND IT!! The parts are called a "digitizer" and the "screen" Here are the parts:

Sprint HTC Evo 4G Touch Screen Digitizer Glass Replacement

Sprint HTC Evo 4G LCD Screen Replacement Display

There's even a youtube "how to":

Sprint HTC Evo 4G LCD Screen Replacement Display

Upvote 0
I'm reading eveyone's "horror stories"...Gumhead, Freespirit, Caloy, DarkNeo...and its a shame that your Best Buy representatives, Mobile Reps and Geek Squad people, weren't knowledgeable with the correct information. I, personally, was NEVER by any Best Buy rep that I would automatically get a "free phone" if I broke it. I would sure HOPE for that but to EXPECT that, I think, would be a bit unreasonable on my part. I was told that it was repair OR replace but at the OPTION OF THE REPAIR FACILITY upon receipt and inspection of the damaged phone. I'll tell you this, my phone was repaired and if they told me that it was NEW I would not have questioned it!!! If, indeed, the only thing that is broken is the screen, then repair would be reasonable if possible. If you broke a window on your house, you wouldn't get a whole new house if everything else was good!!

That being said, I was a bit disappointed with the information I received about repair turnaround. At first I was told by the Mobile department rep "about a week." I NEVER asked Geek Squad about the turnaround time once I got the "about a week" info from the Mobile department. Once a week went by and I heard NOTHING, I then called the Geek department and learned that "about a week" was BAD INFORMATION. I spoke to the Geek manager and he explained simply that with the EVO at the time that I was having my repair and with the demand for the unit and parts availability, "one week" just was NOT even CLOSE to possible. I TOTALLY UNDERSTOOD what the manager was explaining and it is what it is....can't control that.

The only thing that I didn't appreciate was the misinformation about "one week" turnaround getting my hopes up. I would have RATHER been told "about 30 days" and NOT have my hopes up on day 7, 9, 14, 18 and 19 of repair and, instead, been SURPRISED to receive my phone "ahead of schedule" like I did after 21 days.

I was offered a "smart phone" rather than a crappy "regular" phone for a spare while waiting for repair but did not need it because I simply reactivated my old Palm Centro temporarily while I was waiting. So, I CANNOT comment on the request for a deposit for a "smart phone" vs. a simple phone while waiting for repair. I WAS told that I would get a "replacement phone." Again, to ASSume one is gonna get to borrow an touch-screen loaner or a Blackberry or some fancy touch thing might be a weeeee bit unreasonable. They DO give you a phone...and if you gotta GOTTA HAVE TO have something "smart" and fancy, perhaps a deposit isn't that unreasonable.

All in all for me, screen cracked, had a replacement phone offered and one to use the MINUTE I dropped of my phone, was 21 days wait instead of 7 but when I got my phone you COULD NOT TELL IT WAS ONCE BROKEN!! All that for NO DEDUCTIBLE and after paying only $12 insurance ($10 for first month, then I broke it on week 5...doh!!!)

I guess its a matter of expectations. I seem to have gotten some better information than others about the general terms of the BB insurance. The only problem was with the repair time estimate which, honestly, the Mobile Department rep really had NO QUALIFICATIONS to comment on. I should have gotten that information from the Geek Squad facilitating the repair or the repair place itself. Perhaps the Mobile rep DID have experience with one-week turnaround times with similar "smart phones" but at the time, be it demand or parts or service center backup or what, the one-week turnaround time just was NOT happening at that moment with EVO!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones