• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MetroPCS..hello..hello...goodbye

I have found that if you rename(or possibly replace with your own custom sound) /system/sounds/poweron/PowerOn.mp3, it will disable the annoying Metro Startup sound. Now to find out how to replace the MetroPCS boot spalsh screen...

since I recovered my phone and went back to factory stock 2.2, I had to do all this over again. :)

But now I know much more. ;) This time, rather than just deleting the PowerOn.mp3 file, I replaced it with a 1 second silent audio file named the same. That way, the system doesn't know anything is missing.

download the 1 second version from here and just re-name it and send it to yourself, then place it in the correct folder.

Magic's Place - Minidisc Downloads

Upvote 0
Question.....Has anyone had any success with the removal of the Metro splash screen at power up yet?

I just got my very first Android phone last Friday, and through reading just in these forums, have rooted, changed the power on sound and the android boot animation, along with deleting all unwanted bloatware. (Thanks for the information!!) :) My bf has had several android phones over the last couple of years, and I now know more about the system than he does!! He has the HTC Evo, and wants me to work on his phone when I'm finished with mine! HA!!

I'm just curious if anyone has been able to get rid of that startup screen, and, if so, is there a simple step by step instruction??

I'm trying to understand all of the verbage and functions of each procedure, but I'm a little confused by the modified recovery instructions posted by richiedaze.....

Is this something I need to do in order to remove the Metro startup splash screen, or is this still a work in progress??

I'm very impressed by everyone working together here!! :D:D

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Upvote 0
Question.....Has anyone had any success with the removal of the Metro splash screen at power up yet?

I just got my very first Android phone last Friday, and through reading just in these forums, have rooted, changed the power on sound and the android boot animation, along with deleting all unwanted bloatware. (Thanks for the information!!) :) My bf has had several android phones over the last couple of years, and I now know more about the system than he does!! He has the HTC Evo, and wants me to work on his phone when I'm finished with mine! HA!!

I'm just curious if anyone has been able to get rid of that startup screen, and, if so, is there a simple step by step instruction??

I'm trying to understand all of the verbage and functions of each procedure, but I'm a little confused by the modified recovery instructions posted by richiedaze.....

Is this something I need to do in order to remove the Metro startup splash screen, or is this still a work in progress??

I'm very impressed by everyone working together here!! :D:D

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

I am working on simplifying the break down of processes of Android on the Lg Optimus M Development thread. Sorry for any confusions!

Most modifications done on Android phones are done with a modified recovery.

It is a work in progress. But I will soon release 3 updates in zip formats that requires the use of the modified recovery.

These will be:
1) stock-boot.zip
2) root-boot.zip
3) nosplash-boot.zip

Stock boot will be the original boot.img from the stock rom.
-The purpose of this one is to revert back, just in case of problems.

Root boot will be the original boot.img edited with root permissions.
-The purpose of this is self explanatory

No Splash will be the same as above with no Wireless carrier Splash Screen.
-The purpose of this is to remove the Wireless Carrier's Splash and Sounds.

Upvote 0
Thanks a million!! I have been doing nothing but working on this phone for the last 3 days. Been stuck in the house with a solid sheet of ice on the ground outside....and we're not used to that down here in Texas.... :D

So just to clarify, for my own sanity....lol....

I'll need to follow the instructions for the modified recovery and after that (of course, once released), load the updates....or at lease the root boot and the no splash. Right? And do I really need to do the modified recovery before the update release? In other words, is there anything else that I can do that's really special with the modified recovery besides remove the splash screen?? This is the part I'm really lost on, I guess.....

Also...one other question...I loaded Titanium Backup, but couldn't use it b/c it kept saying I needed BusyBox, which I thought was loaded with z4root. Either way, I couldn't get it to function, so I deleted the app. Suggestions?? Do I really need this program? I only dl'd it b/c someone in the thread mentioned that it was a good idea....

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I've always been great with computers, so this is coming to me pretty easily, but I want to be sure I'm clear on things before I go messing something up. LOL. I'm just trying to figure out all of the lingo that I'm unfamiliar with, and what apps serve what purposes, etc.

Right now, I have on my phone:

z4Root
Android Mate
Root Explorer

One last thing....Do I really need Android Mate since I have Root Explorer??

Thanks again for your help!! ;)

Upvote 0
Here is the code in init.rc that controls all this stuff:
Code:
 service bootsound /system/bin/playmp3
     user root
     group root
     oneshot
 # LGE_MERGE_S
 # Boot logo in init script, munyoung.hwang@lge.com
 service bootlogo /sbin/bootlogo
         user root
         group root
         oneshot
 # LGE_MERGE_E

service bootanim /system/bin/bootanimation
    user graphics
    group graphics
    disabled
    oneshot
bootsound is "Metro pcs, hello, hello, hello." bootlogo is the metro pcs splash screen, and bootanim is the android animation. bootsound and bootanim can be disabled without any problems just by commenting out the appropriate lines. bootlogo is a little more difficult. When it is disabled, it causes the screen to flicker. Executing bootlogo manually through adb stops the flickering until reboot.

Upvote 0
Ah ha! Sound familiar richie? That's what was causing it.

Haha, word! I remember that!

Since I don't have it's source I cannot edit it, I have figured out a quick alternative. I have replaced the .rle files with black pictures so that it doesn't show the Wireless Carriers Splash screen and disabled the sound. A quick dirty bypass for now should work.

@ ed,
Try removing the bootimages folder (or change the folder's name for test purposes) in the ram disk. That might work also

Upvote 0
either richie or edodonnell...

Can you provide some instruction on what folder needs to be renamed?

I tried renaming the bootlogo file in /sbin using root explorer and it allows me to rename it, but no dice.

I figure its gotta be done via adb...please share.

thanks

You can't just delete the directory on your phone because it is in the ramdisk. It is restored when you reboot. You have to edit the boot image.

Go here for a good description of how this works:
HOWTO: Unpack, Edit, and Re-Pack Boot Images - Android Wiki

Upvote 0
Hey Richiedaze and Andyo, you guys got a paypal account so i can donate to you guys? and Richie if you need a tester or anything just let me know.

Yes, both have donation links in their sigs. They are both very worthy of any donations. Just click on the sentence and it will take you to their PayPal page.

Just scroll up this page and look at both their sigs at the bottom of their posts.

Upvote 0
Anyone still have this bootanimation by chance? It wasn't linked in his post and if it's elsewhere in the forum I haven't been able to find it with search.

Yeah, I am looking for this too. I saw that someone was going to do a video on how to make our own animations. Any updates on that or how to put this droid pissing on an apple as the boot screen?

Upvote 0
So I replaced mine with a Super Mario One Up sound. I just called it PowerOn.mp3 and sent it from my mac via bluetooth to my phone.

Ran Root Explorer, copied it from /sdcard/bluetooth/music to /system/sounds/poweron

I rebooted and viola....now it just sounds like a mario game.

My clip was only like 3 or 4 seconds, but I am sure you can use a longer clip cause i think the default metro one is like 8 or 9 seconds.

I made and loaded a mp3 onto my sdcard via usb. How do I copy it from there? I have root Explorer installed.
I was able to rename the original PowerOn.mp3 to PowerO.mp3 and no longer hear that annoying sound but would love to replace it with the one I made. I'm trying to figure how to upload my sound file here to share.
Thanks......Tom
:thinking:

Upvote 0
I made and loaded a mp3 onto my sdcard via usb. How do I copy it from there? I have root Explorer installed.

Thanks......Tom
:thinking:

Make sure your new MP3 file is named PowerOn.mp3. I would also be sure to backup the old PowerOn.mp3 in case you want your warranty honored. Use root explorer and scroll down to "sdcard" find the file, select it--long press--and copy or move it to this directory: /system/sounds/poweron.Make sure you press the "Mount R/W" button. If it says something else, just skip this part--R/W is already activated in this case. Then you want to paste the file into that directory, overwriting the old file. That should be all there is too it..

Upvote 0
Make sure your new MP3 file is named PowerOn.mp3. I would also be sure to backup the old PowerOn.mp3 in case you want your warranty honored. Use root explorer and scroll down to "sdcard" find the file, select it--long press--and copy or move it to this directory: /system/sounds/poweron.Make sure you press the "Mount R/W" button. If it says something else, just skip this part--R/W is already activated in this case. Then you want to paste the file into that directory, overwriting the old file. That should be all there is too it..

Thanks for the reply. I was able to rename the original file and copy it to my sd card. I then copied and pasted the file I made and named PowerOn.mp3 with R/W mounted and when I paste the file appears to start to paste but just disappears. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I was able to rename the original file and copy it to my sd card. I then copied and pasted the file I made and named PowerOn.mp3 with R/W mounted and when I paste the file appears to start to paste but just disappears. :thinking:

I would try backing up the original and deleting it and then moving the new file in place.

Upvote 0
If you remove the file -- since there was nothing to back up -- does it go back to the default?

anyone got a droid sound clip to put in there?

I'm thinking about replacing mine with a droid sound and then see if I can put a droid boot animation instead of the metro one.

OK, so I managed to replace the default android animation with a custom one by simply downloading the custom animation, renaming it to bootanimation.zip and placing it into the /system/media directory on the phone. I didnt see any bootanimation.zip file to backup/replace so I just copied the custom one over and rebooted.

Now to replace the metroPCS boot image.

Here is the custom animation I used.
http://www.vopinc.com/files/Android/GDbootanimation.zip
GDboot.gif

Upvote 0
I wanted a piece of tremendously disturbing piece of classical music like Dvorak's New World Symphony, 4th Movement and I put something on there and it plays through both the splash and the animation.

I used a stopwatch to time the process from the moment the sound started playing back until I got to the unlock screen. It was about 22 seconds. So, I cut my sound clip off at 22 seconds and rebooted. It plays the sounds through both screens.

So, you might consider using a program like Audacity [http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/] to make a splash sound, insert the appropriate amount of silence, and then continue to your next sound. I might do that for some alternative boot sound schemes. But, it should solve your problem.

Is there any way to get sound on the actual boot animation? I already changed the Metro power on sound but I would like something to go along with the boot animation itself.
On a side note: what are some of the coolest boot animations you have seen? I just got one of the splash gate from the Stargate movie/tv show. It's not bad but it would be so much cooler if it had the sound fx to go along with it!

Upvote 0
I found some useful links on making boot animations:

Tutorial - Create Custom Boot Animation For Rooted Droid [How To]

bash commands - Linux MAN Pages

My main problem is that when I go into the terminal and type cd /system/media and then type cp bootanimation.zip /sdcard/bootanimation.zip to backup the file, bash says there is no such file. I wish I had an external keyboard for this phone, I can't press the up button to get the last command I entered into the terminal. It's very frustrating to have to type the same crap out again and again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones