• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MetroPCS..hello..hello...goodbye

I wanted a piece of tremendously disturbing piece of classical music like Dvorak's New World Symphony, 4th Movement and I put something on there and it plays through both the splash and the animation.

I used a stopwatch to time the process from the moment the sound started playing back until I got to the unlock screen. It was about 22 seconds. So, I cut my sound clip off at 22 seconds and rebooted. It plays the sounds through both screens.

So, you might consider using a program like Audacity [http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/] to make a splash sound, insert the appropriate amount of silence, and then continue to your next sound. I might do that for some alternative boot sound schemes. But, it should solve your problem.

Yeah, I figured that out awhile ago on accident. I also found that it is approximately 8.5 second from splash to boot ani. I used audacity and created a transformer transformation sound clip with an 8.5 second silence and used it with the decepticon animation floating around. It was pretty nice and went well with the theme I made at that time. Used it for a while now I just have stock boot with no sound.

Upvote 0
So I replaced mine with a Super Mario One Up sound. I just called it PowerOn.mp3 and sent it from my mac via bluetooth to my phone.

Ran Root Explorer, copied it from /sdcard/bluetooth/music to /system/sounds/poweron

I rebooted and viola....now it just sounds like a mario game.

My clip was only like 3 or 4 seconds, but I am sure you can use a longer clip cause i think the default metro one is like 8 or 9 seconds.

So i downloaded to my laptop, dragged it to my phone, opened up rootexplorer, copied and pasted into system/sounds/poweron. Now there is just no sound. =/
What did I miss?

Upvote 0
Sorry darnell0216, but what do you mean by "Reset the permissions to match the other files"?? As far as putting it back to read only, i did so.
Im fairly new with this. Thanks for your help anyways.
Press and hold on the file until you get Root Explorer's popup menu, then choose Permissions. The rwx settings should look similar to other files in the folder.

Upvote 0
This thread should be stickied. It was the original thread from 5 months ago that told how to remove the annoying Hello, Hello, Hello. Has great information, but we've moved on to other topics and now new guys are coming in trying to re-invent the wheel. If this were stickied, it could help all the newbies.
I sorta agree, although the usual course for n00bs, like myself, is to eventually graduate onto rooting, at which point, this thread becomes pointless, and frankly, an obstacle to the eventuality of rooting. Although, one did have to be rooted in order to just change file permissions so you could accomplish this.
Looking back, me going through the hassle of removing/replacing the sound and then replacing the bootanimation, seems to me now to have been such a waste of time.
God I hope I'm not already turning into a rooting and ROMing snob.

No offense to the mods but, if these forums were to undergo an informational house cleaning, I believe it would benefit the entire community by putting an end to new visitors trying multiple ways to root.
That would save those of us that have gone through the pain and are trying to help, a lot of time trying to figure out what someone has done to their phone.

Maybe it's not all that cut and dry but I think everyone gets what I'm trying to say and don't hit me. :D

Upvote 0
I sorta agree, although the usual course for n00bs, like myself, is to eventually graduate onto rooting, at which point, this thread becomes pointless, and frankly, an obstacle to the eventuality of rooting. Although, one did have to be rooted in order to just change file permissions so you could accomplish this.
Looking back, me going through the hassle of removing/replacing the sound and then replacing the bootanimation, seems to me now to have been such a waste of time.
God I hope I'm not already turning into a rooting and ROMing snob.

No offense to the mods but, if these forums were to undergo an informational house cleaning, I believe it would benefit the entire community by putting an end to new visitors trying multiple ways to root.
That would save those of us that have gone through the pain and are trying to help, a lot of time trying to figure out what someone has done to their phone.

Maybe it's not all that cut and dry but I think everyone gets what I'm trying to say and don't hit me. :D

Could you tell us a better way to go about doing this then? Admittedly, I am completely lost as to why I need to download something to change a setting on my phone. Its tedious, and driving me up a wall trying to figure out how to do it.

Upvote 0
First of all I just rooted my phone. I'm trying to improve it to my liking. As like most I have the gingerbreak and root explorer apps. I'm trying to do what these people I quoted did. Any help is appreciated.

I replaced mine with a Super Mario One Up sound. I just called it PowerOn.mp3 and sent it from my mac via bluetooth to my phone.

Ran Root Explorer, copied it from /sdcard/bluetooth/music to /system/sounds/poweron

I rebooted and viola....now it just sounds like a mario game
I just rooted my phone after three hours.... anyway, I'm trying to have my own custom tone aswell. Is there a method just using the phone and not a pc?

OK, so I managed to replace the default android animation with a custom one by simply downloading the custom animation, renaming it to bootanimation.zip and placing it into the /system/media directory on the phone.
When I am under system I see no media directory, only media. When I open media there is just a audio folder. Do I have to creat a folder tittled media directory in the system folder?

Upvote 0
First of all I just rooted my phone. I'm trying to improve it to my liking. As like most I have the gingerbreak and root explorer apps. I'm trying to do what these people I quoted did. Any help is appreciated.

I just rooted my phone after three hours.... anyway, I'm trying to have my own custom tone aswell. Is there a method just using the phone and not a pc?

When I am under system I see no media directory, only media. When I open media there is just a audio folder. Do I have to creat a folder tittled media directory in the system folder?
- Email the file to yourself or browse the site on your mobile web. Use Root Explorer to finish the rest of the directions.

- "Directory" means "folder". Media is the location you're looking for.

Upvote 0
- Email the file to yourself or browse the site on your mobile web. Use Root Explorer to finish the rest of the directions.

- "Directory" means "folder". Media is the location you're looking for.

I sent it through email and downloaded it through my phone. In root explorer the file is under /sdcard. In cetain folders it can be copied or moved but when I try doing it in /system/sounds it wont let me. I click paste but there's no file. Am I doing something wrong?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones