• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to remove email notification sound while keeping phone ring?

dimsumfan

Lurker
Nov 1, 2011
I want to keep my phone on at night in case of emergency phone calls, but haven't figured out how to disable the email notification sound. Therefore, incoming emails are waking me up at the expense of the ability to hear if the phone rings.

Must be a simple solution?

Except that this sets the sound to be permanently silent, not just at night as the OP asked about. As for sounds in the Gmail app itself, I only see the option for notifications in the status bar, on or off.

I've noticed with mine the notification sounds work intermittently, which is - at best - annoying.

With recent versions of gMail you cannot turn off the mail notification sound because they've removed that feature from within the gMail options. You can, however, place the Power widget on one of your screens and then disable Sync when you go to sleep. This way gMail will not be checked. and you can still get important phone calls or text messages.

I'm rooted, so I run gMail version 2.3.2 which has an option to use a specific notification sound, and Titanium Backup to prevent it from being updated by the Market. Why they removed this basic function in more recent versions that clearly a lot of people need is beyond me.

Upvote 0
With recent versions of gMail you cannot turn off the mail notification sound because they've removed that feature from within the gMail options.

Seriously? How effin stupid! I'm so glad I never got those forced updates (still no idea why). If I had to hear an audible notification every time I got an email, I'd go craz(ier). ;)

Reactions: Michel Merlin
Upvote 0
To change your ringtone in gmail, open the app, hit menu, select more-settings-select the account-scroll down to"labels to notify". Select inbox and it will allow you change your ringtone, there is even a option for silent. That should fix your problem. The options are there, they just hid then in the newer updates.

Upvote 0
To change your ringtone in gmail, open the app, hit menu, select more-settings-select the account-scroll down to"labels to notify". Select inbox and it will allow you change your ringtone, there is even a option for silent. That should fix your problem. The options are there, they just hid then in the newer updates.

I hate it when software devs do that. It's like sneaking into a blind persons house and rearranging the furniture. It's just rude! lol

Reactions: brotherswing
Upvote 0
If you are rooted and have Tasker you can set up an easy profile to do just what you want. You could also just turn down your notifications at night without having to go into your email app(s) if that is what you want. You can place control widgets on your home screen to do it easily. Widgetsoid can do this for you, as well as many other things. Here is an app just for your volume controls https://market.android.com/details?...yLDEsImNvbS5yZXZzb2Rldi52b2x1bWVjb250cm9sIl0. and there are many others like it. Sorry for the long link - I did not see how to rename it. Good luck.

Upvote 0
I've never answered a question but I think I know this one.

Settings/Sound/Notification Ringtone....Silent

This is good information. It also works with Enhanced Email, which I got for free from Amazon. EE is an excellent app, works with my regular mail, gmail, and the Exchange server we use at work. I give each account a separate color (and could give them unique notification sounds as well) so my notification envelope symbol indicates what account the email is from.

Upvote 0
With recent versions of gMail you cannot turn off the mail notification sound because they've removed that feature from within the gMail options. You can, however, place the Power widget on one of your screens and then disable Sync when you go to sleep. This way gMail will not be checked. and you can still get important phone calls or text messages.

I'm rooted, so I run gMail version 2.3.2 which has an option to use a specific notification sound, and Titanium Backup to prevent it from being updated by the Market. Why they removed this basic function in more recent versions that clearly a lot of people need is beyond me.

I know it's possible, because I've done it. I have 2 Gmail accounts that sync with my phone, with sound notifications on my business account, and no sound on my personal account. I realize this isn't a lot of help since I can't remember the steps taken to do this, but it is possible.

There's an app called "Do Not Disturb" (7 day free trial, 0.99 to buy) that works well and has a whitelisting feature. Barring that, your suggestion of turning off syncing is good, except that still allows calls and texts to come through.

Upvote 0
I got a new LG Optimus Elite phone and this was driving me crazy. Turning it off from gmail does nothing. This is to turn off the sound notification for emails while keeping on your phone's ringer in case of a phone call.

It was right in front of me and I didn't see it! LOL

Settings>Sound>Notification>Silent (I kept looking for an "off" choice or a way to deselect tone) that does not exist. At the very top of the menu they offer "Silent" as a notification sound choice.

Now it won't drive me crazy. I knew there was a way to do it and was getting frustrated trying to find it. Luckily I did.

Hope this helps you do it quickly!!!:D

Upvote 0
The best thing you can do is make it stop going through your system settings and clicking apps and stop it. After that go log into your email and change your password. With that your mail won't be able to sync. After that download an app from the play store for your email. Grab one that has the option of turnning off notifications. Then that should work! Also, turn off notifications on the app itself in the app menu.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones