• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM][BOOST/SPRINT][ZVC]Marky Beats v2 beta[updated 7/30]

Hey guys. I have a Sprint Marquee that I'd like to root, throw CWM on and then flash to the ZVC based ROM that will apparently be posted later today.

I just had one question before continuing: my phone has downloaded the official update from Sprint's servers, but I have not initiated an installation yet. Do I have to delete it from my phone before proceeding with root and then flashing or will it being on there make no difference? I don't want to accidentally install the new official ROM and thus make it so I have to go back to the original official.

If I do need to delete it from my phone, how would I do so?

Upvote 0
Hey guys. I have a Sprint Marquee that I'd like to root, throw CWM on and then flash to the ZVC based ROM that will apparently be posted later today.

I just had one question before continuing: my phone has downloaded the official update from Sprint's servers, but I have not initiated an installation yet. Do I have to delete it from my phone before proceeding with root and then flashing or will it being on there make no difference? I don't want to accidentally install the new official ROM and thus make it so I have to go back to the original official.

If I do need to delete it from my phone, how would I do so?

You need to root and install cwm FIRST. Then install this: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2VIFL0RoIC8S3NEUWFFRTJUaTZjMVp3SG9vR25Ndw THEN install the zvc sprint version ill make here in a min

update: Sprint version added in first post

Upvote 0
A little confused on how-to with this one and don't want to brick my phone... So is this what I should be doing?

1) Go into CWM
2) Navigate to Backup and Restore
3)Navigate to Restore
4) Restore my first Nandroid backup. [The backup I made after I first installed CWM]
5) Reinstall CWM
6) Reroot
7) Then follow this post:http://androidforums.com/marquee-all-things-root/527372-boost-zvc-update.html#post4183146
8) Then install MB v1.2ZVC

**Side Note: After doing so will Bluetooth still be good to go and mms after changing the MMSC URL again? Also anyway to get vibe with haptics back, I read elsewhere that the lights work but vibe doesn't...**

!!!!THANKS IN ADVANCED!!!!

Upvote 0
A little confused on how-to with this one and don't want to brick my phone... So is this what I should be doing?

1) Go into CWM
2) Navigate to Backup and Restore
3)Navigate to Restore
4) Restore my first Nandroid backup. [The backup I made after I first installed CWM]
5) Reinstall CWM
6) Reroot
7) Then follow this post:http://androidforums.com/marquee-all-things-root/527372-boost-zvc-update.html#post4183146
8) Then install MB v1.2ZVC

**Side Note: After doing so will Bluetooth still be good to go and mms after changing the MMSC URL again? Also anyway to get vibe with haptics back, I read elsewhere that the lights work but vibe doesn't...**

!!!!THANKS IN ADVANCED!!!!

1) Go into CWM-yes
-Make a backup (so you can just copy your apks over and not have to reinstall using titanium) i can teach you how to make a flashable zip to install all your apps at once on reboot
2) Navigate to Backup and Restore-yes
3)Navigate to Restore-yes
4) Restore my first Nandroid backup. [The backup I made after I first installed CWM]-yes
5) Reinstall CWMno
6) Reroot no
7) Then follow this post:Boost ZVC Update-yes
-clear data & cache
8) Then install MB v1.2ZVC -yes

mmsc is the same. Double check bluetooth for me and i can fix if needed.

Upvote 0
1) Go into CWM-yes
-Make a backup (so you can just copy your apks over and not have to reinstall using titanium) i can teach you how to make a flashable zip to install all your apps at once on reboot
2) Navigate to Backup and Restore-yes
3)Navigate to Restore-yes
4) Restore my first Nandroid backup. [The backup I made after I first installed CWM]-yes
5) Reinstall CWMno
6) Reroot no
7) Then follow this post:Boost ZVC Update-yes
-clear data & cache
8) Then install MB v1.2ZVC -yes

mmsc is the same. Double check bluetooth for me and i can fix if needed.

Thanks bro, I will check this after I eat lunch and 'what not'.. lol.. So as long as I follow these Instructions completely I shouldn't brick my phone or boot loop?

Upvote 0
U should/must always be running stock rom when activating a phone. Custom ones can have those issues especially cyanogen mod

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

I did try stock with the new radio. (installing zvc update over my stock and I then either get a freeze at boot screen, or android system crash that results in the launcher never loading, so right now I'm using stock software that is pre-update while on the new radio).

The very odd thing is I got partial data working. As in the phone works in 1x mode now and internet/app data use works. But I see the 1x symbol and not the 3G one. Still indications that this is the Sprint radio since I am getting the Sprint info when going to Activate this Device in the menu. I pmed you detailing what happened. ;)

EDIT: Did you receive that PM? I am not seeing it in my sent items folder like with the other PMs I sent.

Upvote 0
Well the phone activation problems are unique to me, but the 1x issue may be something that could roll over to other users.

But the phone currently thinks it's not activated because the Activate this Device is still in the menu. So I'm not entirely sure. :p

I may hold off until more people confirm no issues with theirs then. I was just wondering since I'm already activated and running MB v1.2.

Upvote 0
The very odd thing is I got partial data working. As in the phone works in 1x mode now and internet/app data use works. But I see the 1x symbol and not the 3G one.

Here's an idea for the 1X issue. Goto dailer and enter ##program855 then press send. You should get a prompt for service code, enter 000000.

Next goto "Network Select", then "Mode Preference" and make sure "Digital Only Hybrid" is selected. Then back out and phone should reboot.

See if that helps you any.

Upvote 0
Its just an update from Boost/Sprint for the Marquee. Though a MAJOR benefit would be the removal of Carrier IQ!

Though you followed the steps and have the MB v1.2ZVC flashed? If so, is everything working properly?

I seem to be running it with no problem how would I know if I did it right? And gow do I get all my apps back?

EDIT: I see play music is back I definitely want my old music app back....

Upvote 0
How do I make the app zip so that I can batch reinstall all my apps?

I use Titanium Backup Root Pro. You can backup all user apps + system data and restore it back. And I sent you the link to Music_2.3.4.apk... I know you said you had got the "application not installed" message, but did you uninstall the Music.apk that already had first?

Music_2.3.4.apk:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70114959/Music_2.3.4.apk

Upvote 0
I use Titanium Backup Root Pro. You can backup all user apps + system data and restore it back. And I sent you the link to Music_2.3.4.apk... I know you said you had got the "application not installed" message, but did you uninstall the Music.apk that already had first?

Music_2.3.4.apk:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/70114959/Music_2.3.4.apk

Deleted the music apk titanium backup hangs and I still get the mot installed message.

Upvote 0
The PM is no longer relevent now as I now have a new theory what's going on with my phone. Your new version of the Boost update with just CWM and root built-in results in the radio having the correct version string.

Refer to my wall of text on my new theory on what's going on with my phone:

http://androidforums.com/marquee-all-things-root/527420-boost-lg855zv4_21-update.html#post4186225

Your update did help get data working and is a big change from before. Even though it's only 1x and not full 3G, it's a big step forward. Once I get my new phone to replace this one, I should definitely be able to donate to you. You're hard work on your custom roms and the work on the boost updates has helped me a lot. :D

Upvote 0
TI hangs on restoring app with the spinning wheel.

Ti hangs when trying to restore music.apk or a full restore of all apps? If you have Music.apk installed and just used a file explorer and deleted music.apk from /system/apps then you could try to paste it there and uninstall again.. If not Id try to get a fresh ROM flashed and if it doesn't come with music.apk try installing it and if it does and does not work try uninstalling then reinstalling again. @ worst case, wouldn't a factory reset fix the issue either way?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones