• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want my privacy.

Is there a thorough list of methods to protect my privacy and information on an Android phone? I hate how incredibly invasive Google can be. I don't want anything tracking my location, or my phone usage habits, my browsing, or anything else along those lines.
They don't make it easy. For example, I keep location services turned off unless I'm using Maps, so every time I turn it on, I have to agree to "Location Consent," then it asks about enhanced location services and mentions sending random data to Google, even when apps aren't being used. There's a "do not show this again" box, but if you tick it, the "disagree" option disappears. That's lame as hell!

Reactions: Dastardly Muffin
:D
All I can say, op, (and I'm taking a risk of being reprimanded by EarlyMon here lol), is, what is it that you're worried about Google knowing about you? They're only interested in advertising revenue which they can earn by selling (anonymous) statistics about your movements, shopping habits, Web habits ect.
Tbh (and I know we're all different), that kind of thing just doesn't register in my list of worries.
Our tinfoil gets used for cooking chicken :p

Upvote 0
That looks cool, but it's not going to be out for a year or two, and it's expensive, and I just got a new phone from Verizon.

It might seem expensive, because it's unsubsidized, unlike your new phone from Verizon. But that's the price you might pay for not having your personal data mined by the likes of Google, Verizon, AT&T, etc.

It is rather expensive for the specs, because it is a niche device for anyone who is concerned about not having all their data aggregated and sold onto advertisers and other third-parties.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
You shouldn't assume I'm worried about anything.. You're right, Google is making money from my information, yet, phones aren't cheaper, nor is my service. I'm not getting a check. Nobody directly asked me to use my information. To make it all worse, it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep information private, and that's being done on purpose.
I don't want any of my information out there because I simply do not want any of my information out there.

I'm also the kind of guy that doesn't let a cop search my car when I get pulled over. I use a fake name and address if I sign up for a store's discount card. I prefer to pay for things in cash. My business is mine, and nobody else's.

That being said, back to my original post, I don't want statistics about my movements, shopping habits, web habits ect. collected. Do you have a list of methods/options, or apps that will help secure my privacy?

Upvote 0
You shouldn't assume I'm worried about anything.. You're right, Google is making money from my information, yet, phones aren't cheaper, nor is my service. I'm not getting a check. Nobody directly asked me to use my information. To make it all worse, it's becoming increasingly difficult to keep information private, and that's being done on purpose.
I don't want any of my information out there because I simply do not want any of my information out there.

What phone did you get from Verizon, and how much did you pay for it up front? Verizon lists flagship Samsung Galaxy S5s from $99, with contract. Those are usually around $600, full retail.

I'm also the kind of guy that doesn't let a cop search my car when I get pulled over. I use a fake name and address if I sign up for a store's discount card. I prefer to pay for things in cash. My business is mine, and nobody else's.

That being said, back to my original post, I don't want statistics about my movements, shopping habits, web habits ect. collected. Do you have a list of methods/options, or apps that will help secure my privacy?

It's not just Google mining and aggregating all your data, Verizon is doing it as well with their customizations and bloat.

Unfortunately the Blackphone is GSM/WCDMA/FD-LTE only, so wouldn't work with your carrier anyway.

Upvote 0
Yes you do, during the initial Android setup. You can skip it if you want, and go on using the phone without Google. In fact most Chinese, without-Google phones and tablets do exactly that, there is no T&C to agree to. Unless you intend to use some other service, like Tencent or something instead. The Blackphone doesn't have anything Google on it, in fact they don't even call it Android, it's "PrivatOS"

Apple iOS devices on the other hand you have to agree to their T&C, otherwise you just can't use iPhones or iPads. And Apple are much more opaque about their data mining practises.

Upvote 0
I just don't use any services. I can and have deleted/disabled maps/location from the phone. I prefer printed driving directions so that's no big loss. I only use Gmail accounts for oddball stuff and Play. I use another email service not allied to a portal like Google, Yahoo, etc. GMail on phone is disabled. I bought Aquamail. K9 is another good app.

If you want a photo editor, there's plenty. You don't have to use Picasa. I use Aviary. I have a Flickr account, but end up sending a lot of stuff by Dropbox. There are other image posting apps. I don't keep You can usually turn off location in camera app.

Color Notes does have a calendar. It isn't too easy to sync., but it does work for appointments. I don't need an Office app, but if I did, I have a sideways upgrade to Documents to Go. (Had it on Palm.) There are others.

MX video player is good. I bought it on the tablet. I had to find an audio app that dealt with MID files. I use those for ringtones.

READ THE PERMISSIONS and TOS before installing or updating. If Play isn't giving you enough info, try looking up the app on AppBrain.

If you must use Twitter or FB, disable them between uses. You can disable G+.

Turn off Google location service. The carrier's you can't. Turn off GPS if you don't use it. I leave it on for astronomy and weather.

There's other map services if you want a map. Some are mentioned here for offline use.

I don't want that search icon on the desktop, a good launcher hides it. I've gone to Google Dashboard and deleted any info there. It still shows I have a Blogger account, but there's nothing in it. I gave up Google voice number. Never used it. I have everything set to no notification. Apps are set to not automatically update.

I don't do any shopping, or download movies or music on the phone. I usually use my computer which has Ghostery and NoScript plus a few other extensions for privacy. I do use data to look up information. I'll follow baseball scores.

I also get a browser which supports other search engines. Dolphin is secure and it supports Duck, Duck Go as a default.
I've added a couple of others.

The Firefox browser for Android does use Ghostery and one other privacy extension. I just can't stand the UI.

I have nothing personal on the phone except text messages and phone book which is not synced to Google.
I figured out how to use VCF files. I also use a GSM phone which will sync with a SIM card. I do keep track of spending, but there are no account names or numbers.
I've turned off NFC, and usually have Bluetooth turned off. I don't like earpieces and forget to charge them.

I use an Android for the great nature and astronomy reference apps. I can't put those on a dumb phone. They are all paid apps to boot. I don't mind paying for a good app.

The privacy issue is more about where I live. Most of the stuff you get bombarded with is local. I had enough years ago with constant phone spam from businesses, so I will buy as little as possible from local merchants. I'll drive to another town that has what I want. I also let my fingers do the walking. I had one rule with landline spam. If you pester me, I don't do business with you.

I don't buy the carrier's phones. TMOUS is pretty good about bring your own device. Right now, I have the Oppo Find 7 which has the TMO bands. I bought one carrier smart phone and had an app that kept turning itself on and searching. It could do nothing as I wouldn't sign up, but it did waste battery. That phone, a Samsung, got rooted. I've rooted a Nexus S and a Nexus 4. So far, the Oppo hasn't bothered me with extra junk, so I haven't rooted it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't buy the carrier's phones. TMOUS is pretty good about bring your own device. Right now, I have the Oppo Find 7 which has the TMO bands. I bought one carrier smart phone and had an app that kept turning itself on and searching. It could do nothing as I wouldn't sign up, but it did waste battery. That phone, a Samsung, got rooted. I've rooted a Nexus S and a Nexus 4. So far, the Oppo hasn't bothered me with extra junk, so I haven't rooted it.

....it could be sending all your privacy stuff to China though? Yeh, I got one of them as well.

Upvote 0

‘Secure’ Blackphone hacked in 5 minutes

http://www.welivesecurity.com/2014/08/13/online-privacy-3/

There is no such thing as privacy online or on your phone.

Edward Snowden is back with one of the biggest revelations about the government's widespread surveillance program.
The US National Security Agency (NSA) and British counterpart Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) hacked into the networks of the world's biggest SIM card manufacturer, according to top-secret documents given to The Intercept by former NSA-contractor-turned-whistle blower, Edward Snowden.
OPERATION DAPINO GAMMA
The leaked documents suggests that in a joint operation, the NSA and the GCHQ formed the Mobile Handset Exploitation Team (MHET) in April 2010, and as the name suggests, the unit was built to target vulnerabilities in cellphone.
Under an operation dubbed DAPINO GAMMA, the unit hacked into a Digital security company Gemalto, the largest SIM card manufacturer in the world, and stole SIM Card Encryption Keys that are used to protect the privacy of cellphone communications.
Gemalto, a huge company that operates in 85 countries, creates about 2 Billion SIM cards each year for AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint and about 450 manufacturers worldwide. The SIM card manufacturer giant also produces banking cards, electronic passports, identification cards and other digital security solutions.

http://thehackernews.com/2015/02/nsa-hacks-sim-encryption-keys.html

Upvote 0
I remember from the past that Zuben and I have very similar opinions and set ups.

My phone isn't configured with a gmail account. Nothing is synced.

I never use wifi. Sticking only to the mobile network - which is a privacy risk, but puts responsibility on them (carrier) to protect their networks. I only use the mobile network when actively needed.

I keep background data restricted at all times, this means no push notifications. (I simply check everything using the browser when I need to, mail, news, etc.) I have to turn on background data to download files in the browser, or to retrieve the very rare MMS message. So I allow background data only when I need it, and close the door behind me.

I recall reading about the Blackphone a few years back. I found it intriguing but not very viable.
One of the "new" Blackphone applications for secure text messages (silent text) that I just learned of from the link above, has to be downloaded via Play. Doesn't that help to undermine privacy?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For location I use GPS only (called "device only" in some models). It's when you allow wireless location (= low power or high-accuracy modes) that you let Google collect their anonymous statistics. I also have 2 offline maps applications I can use, and for a fair few things they can be more trustworthy than Google (who often get the locations of premises wrong in my experience).

The "don't show this again" = "choose the option we want and we won't ask again" is hardly unique to Google, I'm afraid (e.g. every £*$%&^ time I get an Adobe update they try to reset my preference to theirs, after which they will never ask again).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones